9/26-28, Sox vs Diamondbacks series

flavum

32 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Just a horrible pitching staff and an embarrassment, I'm sure some other MLB teams have AAA teams with better pitching staffs than the Sox at the Major league level have right now. It will take a miracle if the Sox are contenders next year as JR and Getz think the Sox can be, the Sox roster is in the worst shape I've ever seen with just a few Major League players on the roster, even worse than the 1970 team.

The 1970 team had some solid young pieces, whereas the current Sox have Robert, and Eloy/Vaughn if you squint hard enough.

• Wilbur Wood was promoted out of the bullpen after working with Johnny Sain (of “pray for rain” fame), and became a Top 3 Cy Young contender the following two seasons (11.7 & 10.7 bWAR) and solid to excellent thereafter until his knee injury.
  • Bill Melton, age 24, made the All Star team in 1971 with a 5.7 bWAR season.
  • Carlos May, age 22, who would make the All Star team in 1972 with a 4.3 bWAR season.
  • Bart Johnson, age 20, with two solid Sox seasons on the horizon (3.7 & 3.9)

They also flipped Ken Berry for Tom Bradley who had two excellent seasons (6.2 & 5.4 bWAR).

Then again, Stu Holcomb brought in Roland Hemond and Chuck Tanner as well for a big turnaround, and acquired Dick Allen for Tommy John.

Jerry’s big move is keeping Pedro and promoting Getz.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Just a horrible pitching staff and an embarrassment, I'm sure some other MLB teams have AAA teams with better pitching staffs than the Sox at the Major league level have right now. It will take a miracle if the Sox are contenders next year as JR and Getz think the Sox can be, the Sox roster is in the worst shape I've ever seen with just a few Major League players on the roster, even worse than the 1970 team.

I actually became a Sox fan in September 1970 moving back to Chicago and the new management team came on board. I still miss the Astroturf infield. While I was away six years the Cubs had taken over after being the joke of the NL for years. 

4 minutes ago, pcq said:

I actually became a Sox fan in September 1970 moving back to Chicago and the new management team came on board. I still miss the Astroturf infield. While I was away six years the Cubs had taken over after being the joke of the NL for years. 

Roland Hemond and Chuck Tanner did a great job bringing the Sox back to respectability in 1971 and almost winning the division in 1972. 
I don’t think Getz can repeat what happened in the early 70s as we are in a different era contract wise, much harder to move players who have high paying long term contracts. JR is the guy who needs to step it up and start spending money on better free agents plus building up the farm system which is in shambles.

44 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The 1970 team had some solid young pieces, whereas the current Sox have Robert, and Eloy/Vaughn if you squint hard enough.

• Wilbur Wood was promoted out of the bullpen after working with Johnny Sain (of “pray for rain” fame), and became a Top 3 Cy Young contender the following two seasons (11.7 & 10.7 bWAR) and solid to excellent thereafter until his knee injury.
  • Bill Melton, age 24, made the All Star team in 1971 with a 5.7 bWAR season.
  • Carlos May, age 22, who would make the All Star team in 1972 with a 4.3 bWAR season.
  • Bart Johnson, age 20, with two solid Sox seasons on the horizon (3.7 & 3.9)

They also flipped Ken Berry for Tom Bradley who had two excellent seasons (6.2 & 5.4 bWAR).

Then again, Stu Holcomb brought in Roland Hemond and Chuck Tanner as well for a big turnaround, and acquired Dick Allen for Tommy John.

Jerry’s big move is keeping Pedro and promoting Getz.

The 70s might have been a lot better but Melton hurt his back in 72 and was never the same player along with Carlos May who lost half his thumb in a military accident in 1970, he had a decent career but was never the power hitter like his brother Lee. Dick Allen was having issues in 74 and things started going south again and we stunk for the rest of the 70s except for the fun and exciting 1977 Hitmen team.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

4 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Roland Hemond and Chuck Tanner did a great job bringing the Sox back to respectability in 1971 and almost winning the division in 1972. 
I don’t think Getz can repeat what happened in the early 70s as we are in a different era contract wise, much harder to move players who have high paying long term contracts. JR is the guy who needs to step it up and start spending money on better free agents plus building up the farm system which is in shambles.

Also doubt that Getz is any better at evaluating talent than Hahn, aside from new contract era.

• flavum changed the title to 9/26-28, Sox vs Diamondbacks series

Len says there will be a big crowd tomorrow. Hoping not too big, want some space.

Final number likely between White Flag and Official Tanking Years.

Lowest White Sox attendance seasons @ Comiskey Park II

1. 1,338,851 1999 (80 Home Games - Rain Out Game Not Made Up)
  2. 1,391,146 1998
  3. 1,574,909 2023 (80 Home Games if final four games are played)
  4. 1,608,817 2018
  5. 1,629,470 2017
  6. 1,649,775 2019 (80 Home Games - Rain Out Game Not Made Up)
  7. 1,650,821 2014

Special Attendance Restrictions (Government and/or Owner induced):

1. 0 2020 (Owner Lockout 51 Games + Government Lockout 30 Games)
  2. 1,596,385 2021 (Local Government Covid Lockdown restrictions first 39 games)
  3. 1,609,773 1995 (Owner Lockout 9 Games)

26 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

100 level is sold out in the very least.

The lower bowl sell out includes the twelve thousand plus free tickets they issued to season ticket holders. I doubt many of them will show, so there should be plenty of space to spread out.

They are not selling any tickets or opening 300/500.

5 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Also doubt that Getz is any better at evaluating talent than Hahn, aside from new contract era.

We have no clue how Getz is qualified to even lead a horse to water. Maybe he would have kept Burger. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

It’s astonishing how awful Benintendi is

I believe that is the signing that pushed JR to his decision.  That is some serious wasted coin.

If JR is a fraction of the fan that he thinks he is, Bellinger was the a no brainer pick up. Really is no legitimate reason to have not signed him.  A short term lightning in the bottle specialty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1