2023 Division Series

flavum

9 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

It does for me, I always cheer for cold weather stadiums. Domes suck. West coast sucks. Go Phillies 

That couldn’t be more irrelevant to me.

I’m super surprised so many people on this site are rooting for the Astros. Can’t wrap my mind around that. Different priorities for everyone, I guess.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Abreu slugs two homers, five RBIs even though RBIs don't matter in the analytics era. Ha. Way to let him go, White Sox. Your locker room by all accounts was a mess this season and Jose clutch as usual. Never smart business to let go a fan favorite for no reason. Sox really replaced him well, lol. 101 losses. Hope Astros win a title for Jose.

Jose clutch as usual? Did you happen to catch those playoff games against Oakland?? He left alot of Palehose on the bases that series. I am sorry but I no longer root for him in that Houston uniform and Mattress Mack can kiss my butt.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I’m super surprised so many people on this site are rooting for the Astros. Can’t wrap my mind around that. Different priorities for everyone, I guess.

Well, their first baseman will likely have his number retired in Chicago. 

And Correa and Keuchel are on the Twins. Keuchel may not have been a hitter for the Trashtros, but he was an All-Star that season with a 9-0 record in the first half - and he pitched way better when he had more run support that season. He benefited all the same.

So yeah, Altuve and Bregman suck. But unless I'm misreading Baseball-Reference, each team has two members from that team and one has a former White Sox MVP. f*** Jim Crane as well, but if I have to start digging into why I should or shouldn't root for individual owners, Jerry might suddenly end up in a positive light.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Well, their first baseman will likely have his number retired in Chicago. 

And Correa and Keuchel are on the Twins. Keuchel may not have been a hitter for the Trashtros, but he was an All-Star that season with a 9-0 record in the first half - and he pitched way better when he had more run support that season. He benefited all the same.

So yeah, Altuve and Bregman suck. But unless I'm misreading Baseball-Reference, each team has two members from that team and one has a former White Sox MVP. f*** Jim Crane as well, but if I have to start digging into why I should or shouldn't root for individual owners, Jerry might suddenly end up in a positive light.

Keuchel was on the mound in the game where Danny Farquhar caught em.

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

• #1 2023 Postseason Priority - Jose Abreu World Series Championship & World Series MVP
  • #2 2023 Postseason Priority - Rob Manfred DUI arrest if he doesn't have a paid driver at all times.
  • #3 2023 Postseason Priority - If Houston doesn't make it, than the lowest TV Ratings Possible (Texas or Minnesota vs. Arizona).
1 hour ago, wegner said:

Jose clutch as usual? Did you happen to catch those playoff games against Oakland?? He left alot of Palehose on the bases that series. I am sorry but I no longer root for him in that Houston uniform and Mattress Mack can kiss my butt.

Come on Wegner, you're better than that. His playoff OPS has been higher than his regular season OPS each of the three seasons his team made it. It's not his fault Jerry and Hahn surrounded him with half ass to mostly garbage rosters in Chicago during his prime seasons.

Jose Abreu Postseason OPS:

• 2020 .857 Playoffs vs. .831 MVP Regular Season
  • 2021 .857 Playoffs vs. .824 Regular Season
  • 2023 1.058 YTD Playoffs vs. .680 Regular Season

19 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:
  • #1 2023 Postseason Priority - Jose Abreu World Series Championship & World Series MVP
  • #2 2023 Postseason Priority - Rob Manfred DUI arrest if he doesn't have a paid driver at all times.
  • #3 2023 Postseason Priority - If Houston doesn't make it, than the lowest TV Ratings Possible (Texas or Minnesota vs. Arizona).

Come on Wegner, you're better than that. His playoff OPS has been higher than his regular season OPS each of the three seasons his team made it. It's not his fault Jerry and Hahn surrounded him with half ass to mostly garbage rosters in Chicago during his prime seasons.

Jose Abreu Postseason OPS:

• 2020 .857 Playoffs vs. .831 MVP Regular Season
  • 2021 .857 Playoffs vs. .824 Regular Season
  • 2023 1.058 YTD Playoffs vs. .680 Regular Season

Actually I'm not better than that, but thanks for thinking I am.

In his MVP season, in games 2 & 3 against Oakland he failed miserably, going 1 for 5 in both games and leaving men on base, capped off by grounding into a DP in the 8th inning of game 3. Anderson had an outstanding series....Jose failed to drive him in. So when I hear he hit 2 home runs in a playoff game for the Trashtros, I get a little salty.

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

Actually I'm not better than that, but thanks for thinking I am.

In his MVP season, in games 2 & 3 against Oakland he failed miserably, going 1 for 5 in both games and leaving men on base, capped off by grounding into a DP in the 8th inning of game 3. Anderson had an outstanding series....Jose failed to drive him in. So when I hear he hit 2 home runs in a playoff game for the Trashtros, I get a little salty.

Sorry about that rant....it is a little late and I can't sleep. In the long run, what Jose did with Abreu's Amigos in Chicago means so much more than what he does on the baseball field and I will always admire him for that.

I'm still rooting against Houston, though.

9 minutes ago, wegner said:

Sorry about that rant....it is a little late and I can't sleep. In the long run, what Jose did with Abreu's Amigos in Chicago means so much more than what he does on the baseball field and I will always admire him for that.

I'm still rooting against Houston, though.

I understand people not liking Houston. Glad you still like/love Abreu.

I think most will be happy for Jose personally if he succeeds, while at the same time remain sad and possibly upset that he couldn't do it here, because his organization failed him.

If the Sox had 26 Jose Abreus and half could pitch, White Sox fans would have many World Series memories beyond 2005.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes and no.

Will always cheer for any team that hasn't won a WS yet...especially against the Cheatin' Astros and that annoying Mattress Mack guy.

Go Rangers, Diamondbacks, Braves/Phillies

Here's to hoping Mack loses alot of $$$ betting

9 hours ago, wegner said:

Jose had a minus WAR this season. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

So happy for Jose.  Hoping he's another guy Hahn couldn't build around to get a ring with another team. 

I posted Mr. October's two HR's yesterday in my White Sox Alumni Playoff thread. 

I don't understand how any Sox fan can root for the scum laden Twins, even against the Astros.

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Do you really think the owner's going to change his tune and spend big in FA or trade from his MiLB system this offseason?

Doesn't seem all that likely.   Rays also facing a lot of uncertainty without Franco and Toronto's always somehow not greater than the sum of all their considerable parts.

Main positive is no more Yankees/Red Sox worship in Bristol.

Toronto is what I think the White Sox would have been if their window was open and they spent wisely  on free agents.  An oddly constructed team that doesn't really get the results they should.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, WilliamTell said:

It definitely feels this way, but I have no idea how this can be changed. Maybe starting the divisional round on Friday instead of Saturday? Maybe making it a best of 7 series instead of best of 5? They'll never drop to 4 teams in each league like they used to, so maybe go up to 8 teams (which I hate) but for the 7 and 8 seeds, they need to win 2 games before the 1 or 2 seeds win 1 game. I don't know, all these ideas seems stupid, but I can see making a case to move the round up 1 day, but the top seeds would still have 4 days in a row off.

In my perfect world there'd be no divisions and 6 make the postseason. Season ends on a Sunday and on Tuesday there'd a 1 game playoff between 3/6 and 4/5. Divisional round starts on Wednesday. Obviously know this isn't happening lol.

Of course it would never happen but I wouldn't mind seeing 1 and 2 have to win 2 games while 7 and 8 have to win 3 to advance.  3-6 all have to win the same amount.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Looks like the Orioles are dead in the water and the Dodgers have Lance Lynn starting.

Thankfully the Braves showed up in the late innings or it would have been the most boring postseason start in years and years...

If you just want the best teams why have the postseason at all?

Sounds like the people who like the upsets early in the NCAA tournament and then complain the top teams aren't in the Final Four.

You can't have the excitement of playoffs and then complain when the top teams lose in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Toronto is what I think the White Sox would have been if their window was open and they spent wisely  on free agents.  An oddly constructed team that doesn't really get the results they should.

I mean, they don't really have to aspire to be Toronto. They both had two playoff appearances.  Sox actually had a better "run" - at least they got a division banner and a playoff win out of it.

8 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I mean, they don't really have to aspire to be Toronto. They both had two playoff appearances.  Sox actually had a better "run" - at least they got a division banner and a playoff win out of it.

Toronto's window is still open the White Sox is not was more my point.   I didn't think they would aspire to be that but I think that would have been how the White Sox window would have gone had they not made horifically bad moves.  They are not structed to do what I think they want to.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Y'all remember when we could have hire Bochy?

Texas was definitely trending in the right direction and they spent a ton of money. But getting these results out of their young guys and dealing with all their pitching injuries is not easy. Bochy deserves a lot of credit for turning around the culture of the team. 

It's basically what this team needed back in 2021, but Jerry just had to hire his buddy. 

• Like 1