2023 Division Series

flavum

13 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Not sure why unless they think he can't take them past a division.   Sometimes you wonder if a 100 win season is a curse.  Aren't they a team who has more than their share of injuries?  

Imagine a 100 win manager loses his job while a 100 loss manager is keeping his.

I am convinced a bye is not an advantage in baseball like it would be in football.  You can’t be off for a week and pick up where you left off in baseball.

18 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I am convinced a bye is not an advantage in baseball like it would be in football.  You can’t be off for a week and pick up where you left off in baseball.

Maybe so in terms of rest, but the advantage of getting to skip the first round of the playoffs should more than make up for whatever "rust" narratives are being thrown out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

Maybe so in terms of rest, but the advantage of getting to skip the first round of the playoffs should more than make up for whatever "rust" narratives are being thrown out there.

The other part where it probably matters is later in October. Last year, having the Phillies pitchers do the extra round while the Astros pitchers were fresher was absolutely, 100% certainly key in that World Series. Both the starters and the bullpen for the Phillies were simply worn out by the time they got there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

It definitely feels this way, but I have no idea how this can be changed. Maybe starting the divisional round on Friday instead of Saturday? Maybe making it a best of 7 series instead of best of 5? They'll never drop to 4 teams in each league like they used to, so maybe go up to 8 teams (which I hate) but for the 7 and 8 seeds, they need to win 2 games before the 1 or 2 seeds win 1 game. I don't know, all these ideas seems stupid, but I can see making a case to move the round up 1 day, but the top seeds would still have 4 days in a row off.

In my perfect world there'd be no divisions and 6 make the postseason. Season ends on a Sunday and on Tuesday there'd a 1 game playoff between 3/6 and 4/5. Divisional round starts on Wednesday. Obviously know this isn't happening lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WilliamTell said:

It definitely feels this way, but I have no idea how this can be changed. Maybe starting the divisional round on Friday instead of Saturday? Maybe making it a best of 7 series instead of best of 5? They'll never drop to 4 teams in each league like they used to, so maybe go up to 8 teams (which I hate) but for the 7 and 8 seeds, they need to win 2 games before the 1 or 2 seeds win 1 game. I don't know, all these ideas seems stupid, but I can see making a case to move the round up 1 day, but the top seeds would still have 4 days in a row off.

In my perfect world there'd be no divisions and 6 make the postseason. Season ends on a Sunday and on Tuesday there'd a 1 game playoff between 3/6 and 4/5. Divisional round starts on Wednesday. Obviously know this isn't happening lol.

I vote make them start the wild card series the Monday after the season ends. Then they can play a 3-game series over 3 days (no off days in this scenario) and they can start division series Friday.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I also don't think there's much evidence that proves being off the field for almost a week is the reason why these teams are losing. This could be the results regardless. Baseball gonna baseball.

Baseball is a game of streaks.  It's not who is the best but the best at that time.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, almagest said:

I am very much enjoying watching Baltimore's pitching melt down.

Do you really think the owner's going to change his tune and spend big in FA or trade from his MiLB system this offseason?

Doesn't seem all that likely.   Rays also facing a lot of uncertainty without Franco and Toronto's always somehow not greater than the sum of all their considerable parts.

Main positive is no more Yankees/Red Sox worship in Bristol.

• Like 1

Abreu slugs two homers, five RBIs even though RBIs don't matter in the analytics era. Ha. Way to let him go, White Sox. Your locker room by all accounts was a mess this season and Jose clutch as usual. Never smart business to let go a fan favorite for no reason. Sox really replaced him well, lol. 101 losses. Hope Astros win a title for Jose.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

43 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Looks like the Orioles are dead in the water and the Dodgers have Lance Lynn starting.

Thankfully the Braves showed up in the late innings or it would have been the most boring postseason start in years and years...

Also if the Braves lose in the DS, it seems like it's almost a given that the Rangers or Astros would win the WS. 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Abreu slugs two homers, five RBIs even though RBIs don't matter in the analytics era. Ha. Way to let him go, White Sox. Your locker room by all accounts was a mess this season and Jose clutch as usual. Never smart business to let go a fan favorite for no reason. Sox really replaced him well, lol. 101 losses. Hope Astros win a title for Jose.

Greg, I have a simple question for you: 

Do you know what the terms micro and macro are?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Also if the Braves lose in the DS, it seems like it's almost a given that the Rangers or Astros would win the WS. 

Have to root for the Rangers even though I simply hate the artificial look of domed stadiums...they were so close in 2010/11 before the Nelson Cruz debacle/disaster.

• Like 2