'23 -'24 Free Agency

wegner

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Colas won’t be the RF next year.  Barfield all but confirmed that.

How so? What did he say? I could see him saying Oscar needs to earn his reps, but writing off Colas seems really dumb.

edit: saw you said because they want a good defensive RF. Still think think Colas has a future here, but get any people are down on him. 

Edited by ChiSox59

Benintendi played twice the number of games, but also had a higher negative dWAR (-0.8) than Colas (-0.7) at the far weaker position. Also via Fangraph Metrics (Benintendi -14.4 vs. Colas -8.4 vs. Sheets -9.2), and getting paid close to $70M more over five years to play both offense and defense like garbage at the weaker position. Of course cheap ass Jerry Reinsdorf makes this garbage free agent their highest paid in history.

Just for the record, Juan Pierre in 2010 was the last left fielder for the White Sox to finish with a positive FanGraphs defensive score.

Last Season a White Sox Qualifed (3.1 ABs per game) Player finished with a positive FanGraphs Defensive Rating:

The only FA signings that are coming here are desperate ones, or vastly overpaid ones. Thats it. Who the F would want to join this organization with how bleak its future is? With all the drama and bad rapport over the last few years? Id stay far, far away.

Wheeler and Harper have to be very happy they didn't sign here. 

Edited by reiks12
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

The only FA signings that are coming here are desperate ones, or vastly overpaid ones. Thats it. Who the F would want to join this organization with how bleak its future is? With all the drama and bad rapport over the last few years? Id stay far, far away.

Wheeler and Harper have to be very happy they didn't sign here. 

Nearly everyone on the FA market should look vastly overpaid when they sign. That's the reality of the FA market. It is very rare where more than 1 team makes a comparable offer to a guy and he gets to choose without either team changing their bid. You want to get better on the FA market, you either need to be targeting literally only 1 or 2 guys, or you need to be ready to overspend.

If the Yankees and Mets can't put playoff teams out there with what they spent last offseason, there is a lesson to be learned from that.

17 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Good thing the Sox blew their international load on him that year. I hate their international strategy. 

Paddy is signing the older players following Jerry's way.

Hahn drafted older college ready DHs and RPs following Jerry's way.

Getz developed players in the minors Jerry's way.

That's what this has been all about since he fired Roland Hemond and replaced him with Hawk Harrelson. 

It's all Jerry's way, everyday, everyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

I listened to about 2 minutes of this interview and had to turn it off. He started off saying Reinsdorf wants nothing more than to win, and that he has a deep love for the fanbase. Couldn't take him seriously after that. 

Was he asked about this or was this something he was clearly motivated to bring up?

I'll be shocked if one of Merrifield or Frazier aren't on the team next year.

TBH, the Anderson decision will signal so much about what's going to happen. I actually think in a vacuum you bring back Tim because the price isn't outrageous in comparison to what you'll spend for terrible options at the position, but it isn't a vacuum.

To follow up, my Tim decision is purely predicted on whatever you think he is in the clubhouse (which we truly don't know). If he's a problem, he's gone. If you honestly think he's a net 0 to a net positive you bring him back as there's no real reason to think we compete next year. You're not blocking Colson yet. He's still one of the more popular players we have. And there's some reason to think his year was injury fueled. Bad year + bad team = whatever. Bad year + good team = we are good in spite of him. Good year + bad team = move him. Good year + good team = well that'd be neat.

31 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I'll be shocked if one of Merrifield or Frazier aren't on the team next year.

TBH, the Anderson decision will signal so much about what's going to happen. I actually think in a vacuum you bring back Tim because the price isn't outrageous in comparison to what you'll spend for terrible options at the position, but it isn't a vacuum.

I’ve been thinking that the Anderson call is a great test of whether they will do anything different.

If Rick Hahn was the GM, what would he do? I think we can all feel this, he’d declare that he thought they were right there and one player away, make a handful of mid level signings, trade for  Perez and pay way too much, and hold onto Anderson. Gotta have him in that competitive 2024 roster and Hahn definitely will say he put that together. Hell, I can imagine him saying his team is one player away and will be right there at the end right now, while he’s unemployed.

The odds of this team competing are low, not zero but so low that it’s not worth making moves aimed at being better next year. The odds of Anderson being worth a lot in a trade are very low, he’s not cheap, teams only trade for guys like him if they need an infielder, and he was worthless last year. For him to be worth a lot, you need him to be great, healthy for the first time in years, motivated and out of the tabloids, and you need a competitive team who has plenty to give up but a but middle infield need. Some team taking on $5 million of his deal and giving back a middling prospect is an optimistic view, but that’s precisely how things would go with Hahn.

Let Anderson go, he probably won’t get $14 million as a free agent, no reason to overpay. Sign Andrus or maybe Rosario if his pride is low, hard to judge his market. Plan for Montgomery to force the issue at some point in the second half, save the money or use it in pitching, and at least show that you understand that “winning soon” takes more than talk. Make hard choices if they’re the correct ones. 

Do I expect the White Sox to make hard choices? I will believe it when I see it.