'23 -'24 Free Agency

wegner

55 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

That Polanco option a slam dunk to get picked up. I think the Twins could move him though for pitching help.

You're right. The drop off to Merrifield as the second best option is pretty steep, though.

57 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Merrifield is a lock but I would prefer Frazier. Honestly, I thought about it the other day, but maybe signing both makes sense?

I really want nothing to do with Merrifield. I watched plenty of Blue Jays last season and I just don't know what he brings to the table. Versatility is nice, but when you suck at everything, versatility hardly matters. He feels like another guy the Sox would overpay right before he drops off the cliff.

• Like 5

Oh man I forgot all about pitching. Best options to me (they ain't getting any of the non-reclamation guys, but this is what I would like).

Go for 3 of the following for SP:

• Aaron Nola
  • Sonny Gray
  • Blake Snell
  • Jordan Montgomery
  • Montas/Giolito/Flaherty as your reclamation projects

RP I would mostly roll the dice with in-house options. Maybe pick up a few anchor types:

• Reylo
  • Ryne Stanek
  • Shintaro Fujinami (if you can help his control)
  • Phil Maton
  • Jordan Hicks
Edited by almagest
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, almagest said:

Oh man I forgot all about pitching. Best options to me (they ain't getting any of the non-reclamation guys, but this is what I would like).

Go for 3 of the following for SP:

• Aaron Nola
  • Sonny Gray
  • Blake Snell
  • Jordan Montgomery
  • Montas/Giolito/Flaherty as your reclamation projects

RP I would mostly roll the dice with in-house options. Maybe pick up a few anchor types:

• Reylo
  • Ryne Stanek
  • Shintaro Fujinami (if you can help his control)
  • Phil Maton
  • Jordan Hicks

Honestly, a veteran lefty like Montgomery or Snell would go a long way towards repairing relations with fans and showing a level of seriousness. Will it happen? No. But a lefty veteran to anchor the staff from 2024 into its next young contending team should almost be a no brainer. 

33 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I’m thinking Austin Hedges lol one of the few you guys in the league you don’t mind sac-bunting lol

Hedges might become useless once they have automated strike zone calls. Guy is an absolute black hole in the lineup, but frames well and plays good defense. 

Perez would benefit massively from not having to frame pitches, but might also be too old at that point. 

17 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Honestly, a veteran lefty like Montgomery or Snell would go a long way towards repairing relations with fans and showing a level of seriousness. Will it happen? No. But a lefty veteran to anchor the staff from 2024 into its next young contending team should almost be a no brainer. 

Snell is going to win the NL Cy Young and Montgomery earned himself a ton of money by pitching well in the postseason. We're not sniffing either of those 2 pitchers. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Best plan I can come up with that the FO would probably go with is:

Sign two of Ryu, Giolito and Flaherty to one year deals. I think Giolito will show he still can be a great 4/5th starter. I think Flaherty has a lot to give in terms of talent, but he'll have to stay healthy. 

Trade for Salvador Perez - I hope he's still a good game manager. He would help Gio and Jack improve their stocks, if so. 

Sign Will Smith as a relief pitcher (I'd go all scrapheap types though since a bullpen is a crapshoot and this team isn't ready to compete)

Brandon Crawford as a SS

Pickup the TA option and move him to 2B

Sign two of k*** Hernandez, Joc Pederson, Jason Heyward off the bench as a utility man/platoon guys.

This is not something I necessarily want, but I think that's the best you can do with the constraints the Sox put on themselves.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johno said:

if this team is truly serious about competing next year, they need to go out and get two quality free agent starting pitchers in order to have any chance.   How about Snell & Flaherty!!

And then would still need another quality arm to slide into 4-spot. Permanent marker Kopech into 5 spot.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

6 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I really want nothing to do with Merrifield. I watched plenty of Blue Jays last season and I just don't know what he brings to the table. Versatility is nice, but when you suck at everything, versatility hardly matters. He feels like another guy the Sox would overpay right before he drops off the cliff.

If the Sox want Merrifield so bad, they can just bring back Elvis.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

If the Sox want Merrifield so bad, they can just bring back Elvis.

I was previously in the "sure - let's sign Merrifield" camp... while I was not particularly passionate previously, this post has tipped me to the "why the f*** would we want that?" camp.