Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion

DirtySox

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

Everyone's personal feelings aside, TA had national commercials and MLB kept running his baseball zen ad (the field of dreams moment) all the time.

He was obviously marketable.

Also shushing the Yankees crowd is all-time hilarious.

What does that have to with how he’s played since the Field of Dreams game? He’s not marketable anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Probably 0 chance of happening I realize but I'd love to explore a lower aav over 3 years with the plan to move him to 2b after a year. 27-30 million but that's likely non-starter. 

You’d give Anderson $30 million? I sure as hell wouldn’t. If you were giving him that money, just pick the option up. I don’t think he gets $10 million this offseason.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Please remember that Getz was hired because we are not in a rebuild and anyone else would take a year to evaluate things.

I’d like to know what their game plan really is, this mess cannot be fixed in this off-season. We have no rightfielder, we have no SS, we have no second baseman, we have no catcher, we have one reliable starter, the bullpen is a wreck, the DH and third basemen can’t stay healthy and are overpaid, the manager is a jerk and a joke and the team right now would have trouble beating a lot of AAA teams but otherwise things are great.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I’d like to know what their game plan really is, this mess cannot be fixed in this off-season. We have no rightfielder, we have no SS, we have no second baseman, we have no catcher, we have one reliable starter, the bullpen is a wreck, the DH and third basemen can’t stay healthy and are overpaid, the manager is a joke but otherwise things are great.

We should find out more at the GM Meetings this coming week, but from everything released formally by front office members and informally by media outlets like Merkin they realize competing next year will be tough but also plan to roll the dice a bit since they play in the AL Central.  They’ll add some former name players like Salvy, Merifield, etc to help with the illusion that winning is possible and try to their best to avoid another 100 loss season.

The real question is what do they do with Cease.  He helps with the illusion of competing, but I personally think not trading would severely hurt the franchise.  I know everyone is excited about Montgomery, but one prospect isn’t changing the trajectory of the franchise.  We need a fuckton more talent and Dylan is the only asset we have (other than Robert) who can get you multiple prospects of potential impact.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We should find out more at the GM Meetings this coming week, but from everything released formally by front office members and informally by media outlets like Merkin they realize competing next year will be tough but also plan to roll the dice a bit since they play in the AL Central.  They’ll add some former name players like Salvy, Merifield, etc to help with the illusion that winning is possible and try to their best to avoid another 100 loss season.

The real question is what do they do with Cease.  He helps with the illusion of competing, but I personally think not trading would severely hurt the franchise.  I know everyone is excited about Montgomery, but one prospect isn’t changing the trajectory of the franchise.  We need a fuckton more talent and Dylan is the only asset we have (other than Robert) who can get you multiple prospects of potential impact.

If they decide to do a complete rebuild then they have to trade Robert, Vaughn and Cease, there is no one else that anybody wants.

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

That is true. At least that's an argument unlike the other s%*#.

I don't like picking the low hanging fruit here, But you think the baby mama drama and flipping off fans means nothing and apparently by the response  in "likes" you got others agree. But it couldn't be farther from the truth.

If isolated, those things mean nothing IF he continued to play well. However all the drama, the fight, all coincided with terrible baseball. Tim's whole world has fallen apart and we're supposed to think all the drama didn't affect his play ?

Everything has been a disaster with him. I said I'd decline his option a couple of weeks ago. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Let's pay a player falling apart at the seams $14M just to see if he can get a new head, a new body and suddenly there's a happily ever after ? Poor Tim is just misunderstood.

You scolded Lipman for being in a Soxtalk world but you're in some fantasy world where TA is somehow marketable and worth $14M. It's preposterous.

Like I said when I said to decline his option.  Let's see what the rest of baseball is willing to pay him now. You'll get your answer then about how good and marketable he is. I think he'll be lucky to get 2 years $20M. I expect less than that. Feel free to save this for when he signs with someone else.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

If they decide to do a complete rebuild then they have to trade Robert, Vaughn and Cease, there is no one else that anybody wants. The last rebuild was really bad with the 3 years of tanking, the next one would be as ugly as can be.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't like picking the low hanging fruit here, But you think the baby mama drama and flipping off fans means nothing and apparently by the response  in "likes" you got others agree. But it couldn't be farther from the truth.

If isolated, those things mean nothing IF he continued to play well. However all the drama, the fight, all coincided with terrible baseball. Tim's whole world has fallen apart and we're supposed to think all the drama didn't affect his play ?

Everything has been a disaster with him. I said I'd decline his option a couple of weeks ago. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Let's pay a player falling apart at the seams $14M just to see if he can get a new head, a new body and suddenly there's a happily ever after ? Poor Tim is just misunderstood.

You scolded Lipman for being in a Soxtalk world but you're in some fantasy world where TA is somehow marketable and worth $14M. It's preposterous.

Like I said when I said to decline his option.  Let's see what the rest of baseball is willing to pay him now. You'll get your answer then about how good and marketable he is. I think he'll be lucky to get 2 years $20M. I expect less than that. Feel free to save this for when he signs with someone else.

He's marketable because he's used in marketing campaigns. I didn't decide that, personally. Crying over flipping off opponent fans will never not be funny to me, still. Next were going to hear about how that man doesn't play the game right. Jose Ramirez probably did more damage to the whole marketable part than anything, but not sure if that's true. 

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I don’t want them to rush Montgomery so since we are probably going to be shitty again in 2024 I’d bring back Elvis for one more year.

Why do people keep forgetting Lenyn Sosa ? Can't he play SS ? He'd hit more HR's than TA maybe field better too. I mean you can't really get worse production than TA gave the Sox last year. Or Sosa at 2nd base . Just because his initial try's at the bigs weren't instantly successful doesn't mean he's run out of chance. He's still one of the Sox best prospects.

OK Sosa isn't in the top 30 prospects list anymore I suppose because he's had around 200 MLB AB's but as far as young players closest to making an impact next season he has to be close to the top of the list among position players. Ramos and Rodriquez got cups of coffee  with the Sox but both have barely played at AAA. Montgomery has only had 131 AA and some AFL AB's. They aren't going to rush Montgomery. I'm not even sure he will start the year in AAA. Back to Birmingham seems more likely.

• Like 1

Someone amend the history books, Hahn got some serious premature credit for TA's extension.  It ended up a draw at best.

If a good organization grabs Tim, sticks him in LF, mixes in 25 starts at 2B, protects him a bit in a platoon that allows him to miss some tough matchups,  I could see TA getting paid again, ultimately by a terrible franchise. 

But if said crappy club signs him this offseason to play SS, he is about 200 ABs, an injury, one final suspension, a handful of media misunderstandings and dude will be enjoying the fashion scene in Japan by 2025.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

He's marketable because he's used in marketing campaigns. I didn't decide that, personally. Crying over flipping off opponent fans will never not be funny to me, still. Next were going to hear about how that man doesn't play the game right. Jose Ramirez probably did more damage to the whole marketable part than anything, but not sure if that's true. 

He WAS used in marketing campaigns. That's ancient history now. Why ? Because now his whole life is a mess. Won't be the 1st time someone marketed a good cool hip player whose world suddenly collapsed because he couldn't handle fame and it won't be the last.

As a professional athlete your career is fleetingly short unless you keep your eyes on the brass ring. He isn't a movie star or musician alcoholic pill popper going through marriage after marriage and still able to get chance after chance because you go through rehab and straighten out everything. Young and old alike succumb to the pressures of fame. At this point I'd be happy to see him turn his life around. I certainly don't want to see him become a tragedy like we see so often in the music and movie industry. It was time to move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He WAS used in marketing campaigns. That's ancient history now. Why ? Because now his whole life is a mess. Won't be the 1st time someone marketed a good cool hip player whose world suddenly collapsed because he couldn't handle fame and it won't be the last.

As a professional athlete your career is fleetingly short unless you keep your eyes on the brass ring. He isn't a movie star or musician alcoholic pill popper going through marriage after marriage and still able to get chance after chance because you go through rehab and straighten out everything. Young and old alike succumb to the pressures of fame. At this point I'd be happy to see him turn his life around. I certainly don't want to see him become a tragedy like we see so often in the music and movie industry. It was time to move on.

Even now the Sox just posted a 2 minute video with him. Still marketing the hell out of his time here. Did the same with Liam; him being a little more understandable that they let him go. 

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why do people keep forgetting Lenyn Sosa ? Can't he play SS ? He'd hit more HR's than TA maybe field better too. I mean you can't really get worse production than TA gave the Sox last year. Or Sosa at 2nd base . Just because his initial try's at the bigs weren't instantly successful doesn't mean he's run out of chance. He's still one of the Sox best prospects.

OK Sosa isn't in the top 30 prospects list anymore I suppose because he's had around 200 MLB AB's but as far as young players closest to making an impact next season he has to be close to the top of the list among position players. Ramos and Rodriquez got cups of coffee  with the Sox but both have barely played at AAA. Montgomery has only had 131 AA and some AFL AB's. They aren't going to rush Montgomery. I'm not even sure he will start the year in AAA. Back to Birmingham seems more likely.

If Hahn was still here I’d say they would absolutely rush Montgomery. Hell they did with Anderson even. What Getz will do I don’t know, he doesn’t have a record good or bad on that yet.

In terms of Sosa, I’m all about giving guys like him a shot, but what I wasn’t doesn’t matter if the damned manager won’t play kids because veterans get you wins.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Even now the Sox just posted a 2 minute video with him. Still marketing the hell out of his time here. Did the same with Liam; him being a little more understandable that they let him go. 

That's not marketing. it's saying goodbye and thanks for the memories. If there is any hope that they resign him for less they don't want to burn their bridges. It's just smart to do that. I don't think there's much of a chance they resign him but I suppose that depends on how long he remains unsigned and the market for him.

He may be eating a lot of humble pie during his wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Hahn was still here I’d say they would absolutely rush Montgomery. Hell they did with Anderson even. What Getz will do I don’t know, he doesn’t have a record good or bad on that yet.

In terms of Sosa, I’m all about giving guys like him a shot, but what I wasn’t doesn’t matter if the damned manager won’t play kids because veterans get you wins.

If Getz can't figure out that all middling vets do is waste a bunch of money and if he's depending on Grifol ,Salvy Perez and Whit Merrfield to raise the bar of competent play he's as clueless as the rest of them including the guy at the top of the totem pole, JR.

They have so many holes I know some vets especially in the starting pitching staff have to be signed but as for the rest of the roster, I'd just hit the non tendered list and maybe make a play for Bellinger.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If Getz can't figure out that all middling vets do is waste a bunch of money and if he's depending on Grifol ,Salvy Perez and Whit Merrfield to raise the bar of competent play he's as clueless as the rest of them including the guy at the top of the totem pole, JR.

They have so many holes I know some vets especially in the starting pitching staff have to be signed but as for the rest of the roster, I'd just hit the non tendered list and maybe make a play for Bellinger.

Naw, Bellingers way too high risk for this team, and he’s getting 9 figures I’d be almost certain. There’s no upside for the white Sox there, and a big downside risk. 

Play the short term contract game and do it smarter than Hahn, look for guys you might be able to move at the deadline. Rosario for like $8 million makes a ton of sense to me, plenty of upside and movable as a defensive replacement even if he has a bad year.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Naw, Bellingers way too high risk for this team, and he’s getting 9 figures I’d be almost certain. There’s no upside for the white Sox there, and a big downside risk. 

Play the short term contract game and do it smarter than Hahn, look for guys you might be able to move at the deadline. Rosario for like $8 million makes a ton of sense to me, plenty of upside and movable as a defensive replacement even if he has a bad year.

I think you need to sign a guy like Bellinger . Yeah the contract maybe too long and too expensive but somehow the Sox need to re-establish that things are going to be different. Even if they won't be.  9 figures ,so over $100M ? Man I don't know about that. He got more than anyone thought he would last year and it turned up roses for him.But yeah it's possible 4 years $25M. Guess I'll have to take a look at the projections .

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Depends on your definition of "marketable."

Guys flips off fans, appears to lose concentration of the field, has embarrassing off the field headlines and can't stay healthy.

If that's your definition of "marketability" I admire you. 

I feel he is being judged too harshly. He had a bad year is the only story here. 

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It will be years before this team recovers. 

• Quin changed the title to Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion
  • Quin locked this topic