Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

23 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm split on if he is moved. They keep him, just keep improving the defense. Depending on who else they add for RF, play Brett Phillips on the days he's on the mound, unless whoever they add is above average defensively. No Eloy in the OF on those days (that should be ever but we know this org ha).

Agreed. I know they won’t score any runs but with Phillips in RF, the Sox theoretically have one of the best defensive teams in MLB. López, Dejong, Moncada, Robert, and Phillips are all plus defenders. Stasis/Maldonado, Benintendi are average defenders. The only below average defender is Vaughn and it’s at the least critical position on the field.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Agreed. I know they won’t score any runs but with Phillips in RF, the Sox theoretically have one of the best defensive teams in MLB. López, Dejong, Moncada, Robert, and Phillips are all plus defenders. Stasis/Maldonado, Benintendi are average defenders. The only below average defender is Vaughn and it’s at the least critical position on the field.

Right. At least clean up the defense for the guys you might be able to trade.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Right. At least clean up the defense for the guys you might be able to trade.

Yep. Almost seems like that’s what Getz is doing. Limited budget, won’t be able to acquire any big bats so might as well field a strong defense to help the pitchers, a few of whom may be traded in July - Cease, Soroka, Fedde, Flexen, Santos, etc.

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

FWIW, last year Benintendi was quite bad in the OF. This was unusual for him, over his career he's been average, but he was poor in the OF at best.

Maldonado, last year, was defensively ugh. According to BP he was literally the worst catcher in baseball without counting his offense. Calling him an average defender because he was one a couple years ago and not evaluating him now is probably why Getz signed him, don't do that, it's just wrong.

3 hours ago, Rolle Tide said:

On Lowder, Shultz on pitched 27 innings and your prospect guy is over the top on him. Lowder was the 7th selection not the 26th. The only reason he didn’t pitch was organizational philosophy. A number of teams do it this way. 

Petty pitched 68 innings, the last 2 starts were 4 innings each where he gave up no runs. They are surely being conservative with him. He has 2 plus (Grade 60 pitches) his FB and Slider. The other 2 are said to be MLB average and obviously could improve. 

Arroyo didn’t have a great year but he still had a .750+ OPS , had 10 triples, 13 Home runs, and stole 28 bases. if he gives you .750 OPS with plus defense and speed he’s super valuable. 

Phillips has pitched 100 innings 2 years in a row plus 20 innings in the bigs. I’m betting it’s more the Reds philosophy than his shortcomings in regards to innings. 

this would c.early be a good haul with or without a sweetener. 

Right.  We both outlined these prospects the same.  I originally said I wouldn’t be super excited by this.  Again it’s a fine haul but I don’t have to be thrilled by it.   Again I’d rather get some bad ass LH bat prospects.   

So now explain how me not being thrilled by that leaps to a “Ruth, Aaron, Clemens & Nolan Ryan” type of comment.  It sure seems to insinuate a level of ridiculousness on my part.  Why?

I don’t see the Mets trading for Cease given how they’ve approached this off-season and Stearns’ general track record in MIL, but there are some nice potential packages there.

I still think the Dodgers could be a sleeper here.  I know many of us aren’t enamored with their prospects, but it’s clear they are going all-in on next year and a durable starter like Cease (with TOR upside) would make all the sense in the world for them.  I’d definitely prefer trading with the Orioles, Red Sox (if even interested), or New York teams, but I could see definitely Friedman give up what it takes to land Cease.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/10-predictions-rest-2024-mlb-112110146.html

Now seeing predictions Cease won’t move until the trade deadline.

Going for the Jose Quintana FIP rollercoaster…at least that one ended well.

The bullet point about the Royals outspending the AL East is hilarious…

One single Bob article from Sunday morning =|= predictions plural. Its not like he reports anything his "sources" don't intentionally want out there.

52 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This thread is a ghost town now that the Orioles fans left.

I have many Mets fans that will talk to us about how miserable we all are and how if they trade for Cease he will suck and the prospects will suck

I am not at the point of stating Cease's 2023 is going to stop Getz from getting a monster haul this offseason because I do still think someone will cave to the ask.  But in the event that you are going to go into ST with Cease still on the roster, FFS at least spend some of JR's money to bring in 1 more serviceable SP and a decent RF like Duvall, Grichuk or even Gallo on 1 year deals. If you can't even tank for a good pick, may as well try the misfit toys route and see where things stand in June. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

FWIW, last year Benintendi was quite bad in the OF. This was unusual for him, over his career he's been average, but he was poor in the OF at best.

Maldonado, last year, was defensively ugh. According to BP he was literally the worst catcher in baseball without counting his offense. Calling him an average defender because he was one a couple years ago and not evaluating him now is probably why Getz signed him, don't do that, it's just wrong.

Maldonado/Stassi will still be an upgrade from what they ran out there last season and average overall defensively imo. I also think Benintendi will be fine out there, nothing great but not a liability either. Dejong, phillips, and López would all be significant defensive upgrades from last season. 

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Maldonado/Stassi will still be an upgrade from what they ran out there last season and average overall defensively imo. I also think Benintendi will be fine out there, nothing great but not a liability either. Dejong, phillips, and López would all be significant defensive upgrades from last season. 

Let's put it this way, if Maldonado/Stassi do what they did in MLB last year they will be a defensive and offensive downgrade from the White Sox's catchers in 2023. Maldonado is coasting entirely on reputation. 

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I highly doubt Phillips is starting in RF

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think he was that bad on defense.  Now, he can't throw; I'll give you that. I'm surprised baserunners don't challenge him more at second base.  But, he covers the ground in left field as well as most outfielders, if not better.  As long as he hits the cutoff man, he won't hurt the team much with his lousy throwing.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Let's put it this way, if Maldonado/Stassi do what they did in MLB last year they will be a defensive and offensive downgrade from the White Sox's catchers in 2023. Maldonado is coasting entirely on reputation. 

Huh? Stassi didn’t play last season. And Grandal caught 92 games (started 79) so I disagree. Zero chance Maldonado is a worse defender than Grandal.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic