Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But why?  Show me your math on how you got to this conclusion.  What is the projected surplus value of Mayo vs. the projected surplus value of Cease?

I’m really unsure what you are asking and why this is such a sticking point to you.

Mayo is a premium prospect. He has been a dominant hitter. His K rates are going down while his BA goes up. He has massive power and EV numbers. He walks a lot. He can play third base, has a cannon for an arm and moves well for a guy his size.

He is absolute stud prospect with 4+ WAR upside. Very young, likely 7 years of service time(if things go well) coming up.  

You don’t trade that for a question mark like Cease.  Elias loves him. Gave him a big deal over slot to sign. He has a great attitude, high character guy. The Os value that.

And again, they don’t have to trade that level of prospect to get Cease. No one else is.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

God damn, this is the most tedious, circular, worthless discussion I've ever read. You fuckers need to be more productive in life.

Nothing more productive in life than hopping on a message board to call out others for being unproductive

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m really unsure what you are asking and why this is such a sticking point to you.

Mayo is a premium prospect. He has been a dominant hitter. His K rates are going down while his BA goes up. He has massive power and EV numbers. He walks a lot. He can play third base, has a cannon for an arm and moves well for a guy his size.

He is absolute stud prospect with 4+ WAR upside. Very young, likely 7 years of service time(if things go well) coming up.  

You don’t trade that for a question mark like Cease.  Elias loves him. Gave him a big deal over slot to sign. He has a great attitude, high character guy. The Os value that.

And again, they don’t have to trade that level of prospect to get Cease. No one else is.

How do you know that no one else is offering this type of prospect? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, you could get Bieber and hope he stays healthy..if he does, he will be fine. If not, you likely haven’t traded a lot and can go after someone in June/July.

It’s not where I want to go but there is some merit to it.

First off, it’s doubtful the Guardians just give him away.  But more importantly, you’d be committing $12M in payroll to him and that could put your trust fund owner on the brink financially.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Again, you have no idea what teams are willing to trade.  What if Boston is willing to trade Mayer?

Then they get Cease.(unless they prefer Cowser or Kjerstad more)

You are right..I don’t know. But I do know that if a team was meeting the asking price of Getz now and/or trading high level premium prospects, that Cease would be dealt. 

We can argue/discuss who is a premium guy and who isn’t and I agree that there’s a lot differences of opinion there.

That said, I think if Getz was getting what he wants, this would be done. 

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

First off, it’s doubtful the Guardians just give him away.  But more importantly, you’d be committing $12M in payroll to him and that could put your trust fund owner on the brink financially.

lol…possible but I think that money is fine and don’t forget, if we trade a ML asset, chances are it will be a player making money.

And no deal is said is giving away Bieber although the argument is definitely there that Bieber has very little value.(which is maybe why they keep him)

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Again, you have no idea what teams are willing to trade.  What if Boston is willing to trade Mayer?

Clearly, the Orioles wouldn’t be able to beat that since they aren’t trading any of their top 3 prospects per Sports Guy

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mayo is a "premium prospect" with "4+ WAR upside", yet Cease a question mark after averaging 4.2 WAR the past three seasons under cheap control for 2 seasons in a market in which mediocre and injury prone SPs are getting $14M+ AAV. 

This is why no one takes you seriously. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t trade that for a question mark like Cease.

Cease has basically been averaging 4 fWAR for the last THREE years.

For every Moncada and Kopech originally projected to do that, you’ll typically have 5-6 failures even in the Top 25-30 (overall) MiLB players for each true or genuine hit.

You’re not entitled to act like a Blue Jays fan just yet when you haven’t actually accomplished anything on a consistent basis…notice they have been stuck in the same exact position for three years now, with their biggest adds Kierkmaier and IKF, despite running a much bigger payroll.

(See Tampa Bay for how to pull it off.)

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

lol…possible but I think that money is fine and don’t forget, if we trade a ML asset, chances are it will be a player making money.

And no deal is said is giving away Bieber although the argument is definitely there that Bieber has very little value.(which is maybe why they keep him)

They’re definitely asking for more than “very little value”.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It would like if you said something intelligent or worth reading..or weren’t being a prick for no reason.  

Man I tried having a conversation with you last time. You twisted yourself into a pretzel before admitting that you were wrong. There's no point in having an actual conversation with you because A) You think you know everything and can read minds B) Your conversations are all circular. So the only thing left to do is be a prick to you until you leave to be honest. 

Edited by Baron
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Cease has basically been averaging 4 fWAR for the last THREE years.

For every Moncada and Kopech originally projected to do that, you’ll typically have 5-6 failures even in the Top 25-30 (overall) MiLB players for each true or genuine hit.

You’re not entitled to act like a Blue Jays fan just yet when you haven’t actually accomplished anything on a consistent basis…notice they have been stuck in the same exact position for three years now, with their biggest adds Kierkmaier and IKF, despite running a much bigger payroll.

(See Tampa Bay for how to pull it off.)

I suppose there is a point in here

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

Man I tried having a conversation with you last time. You twisted yourself into a pretzel before admitting that you were wrong. There's no point in having an actual conversation with you because A) You think you know everything and can read minds B) Your conversations are all circular. So the only thing left to do is be a prick to you until you leave to be honest. 

Someone get this snowflake a tissue.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Man I tried having a conversation with you last time. You twisted yourself into a pretzel before admitting that you were wrong. There's no point in having an actual conversation with you because A) You think you know everything and can read minds B) You conversations are all circular. So the only thing left to do is be a prick to you until you leave to be honest. 

Or just have fun poking the bear. Who is absolutely sure what the Orioles and other teams are currently offering and will offer for Cease. 

Not what the should offer but what they are and should offer. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I suppose there is a point in here

Yeah.  Every fan who acts too cocky about their team gets a comeuppance.

Eventually.

But especially in the AL East.

The Red Sox can’t even compete in that division any more…at least they’re not willing to do so at the spending levels required.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Yeah.  Every fan who acts too cocky about their team gets a comeuppance.

Eventually.

But especially in the AL East.

The Red Sox can’t even compete in that division any more…at least they’re not willing to do so at the spending levels required.

How am I acting cocky about my team?  I said it’s a complete failure if they don’t add a starter of Cease’s caliber.(or close to it)

That should tell you that I feel they need to do more to be good.

If I were cocky, I would say we are good and don’t need to do anything. 

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You keeping saying Elias won’t trade Mayo.  Since Elias has never come out and said this publicly, I am asking for an objective reason for why Mayo would be an untouchable for Cease.  A bunch of qualitative talking points about talent, draft position, and character don’t support that statement.  And sure, he may have a 4 win ceiling, but he also has a replacement level floor.  What is the expected bust rate on a prospect like Mayo historically?  What is a good 50th percentile projection for him over his control period?  What is he intrinsically worth to the Orioles…that’s what I’m asking.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic