Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

– The Seattle Mariners have quietly entered trade talks with the Chicago White Sox for ace Dylan Cease, with the White Sox seeking a package centered around young starter Bryce Miller or Bryan Woo. 

If the Mariners meet the White Sox’s steep asking price, they would have one of the most powerful starting rotations in baseball with a Luis Castillo, Cease, Logan Gilbert and George Kirby. 

If the White Sox can’t complete a trade with the Mariners, they are expected to open the season with Cease. They could revisit trade talks with teams towards the July 30 trade deadline or wait to see if a team becomes desperate with a sudden injury. 

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Bob says Seattle is now in on Cease.

– It’s hard to believe the Baltimore Orioles, after winning 101 games last year, won’t do anything more this winter than sign veteran closer Craig Kimbrel to a one-year, $13 million contract to replace injured Felix Bautista. 

They need another frontline starter, but talks with the White Sox for Dylan Cease have stopped. 

Shocking

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

– It’s hard to believe the Baltimore Orioles, after winning 101 games last year, won’t do anything more this winter than sign veteran closer Craig Kimbrel to a one-year, $13 million contract to replace injured Felix Bautista. 

They need another frontline starter, but talks with the White Sox for Dylan Cease have stopped. 

Shocking

Lol

15 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

???

I'm just tired of the speculation.

I understand the logic of trading Cease. But one way, it doesn't make sense. The team is short on starting pitching, so you unload your best pitcher? 

• TLR 1

5 minutes ago, Highland said:

I'm just tired of the speculation.

I understand the logic of trading Cease. But one way, it doesn't make sense. The team is short on starting pitching, so you unload your best pitcher?

It doesn’t matter. They’re going to suck with or without him. They have plenty of guys to take the ball next year.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s actually one of the most sensical things Levine has said in awhile.  If Cease suffers a bad injury, his value could drop to zero.  It would definitely be playing with fire to hold Cease until the deadline.  Yes, he could stay healthy, pitch well, and raise his value.  But he could also pitch worse and/or get injured.

I think the problem is - a lot of people posting in this thread live in a fairytale land where Cease's value is remotely near what it was a year ago.

The White Sox need to either accept poor value back for him or gamble that he repairs his value a bit during the season while still here.

16 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Seattle trading for Cease after salary dumping half of their offense just doesn’t make sense to me. Their rotation kept them in the hunt last year but the lack of closer and lack of timely hitting is what ultimately did them in. Trading 6 years of control for 2 and not addressing their roster holes is incredibly shortsighted IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Seattle trading for Cease after salary dumping half of their offense just doesn’t make sense to me. Their rotation kept them in the hunt last year but the lack of closer and lack of timely hitting is what ultimately did them in. Trading 6 years of control for 2 and not addressing their roster holes is incredibly shortsighted IMO. 

Yeah I agree that it doesn’t really make sense for them to deal 6 years on an MLB ready pitcher (and other pieces) for 2. Unless there were other pieces involved going to Seattle like Eloy for example. JeDi doesn’t shy away from the multi-piece deals.

Edit: maybe not Eloy but you get it.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I agree that it doesn’t really make sense for them to deal 6 years on an MLB ready pitcher (and other pieces) for 2. Unless there were other pieces involved going to Seattle like Eloy for example. JeDi doesn’t shy away from the multi-piece deals.

Edit: maybe not Eloy but you get it.

It’s a move to make last trade deadline, not after a winter of stripping salary off a near playoff team. Trading for Cease now doesn’t put them any closer to contention. It just doesn’t make sense to me. 

Just now, Tnetennba said:

It’s a move to make last trade deadline, not after a winter of stripping salary off a near playoff team. Trading for Cease now doesn’t put them any closer to contention. It just doesn’t make sense to me. 

They stripped salary but they have replacements where you can squint and see they’re “trying” to be competitive. Plus there’s still free agents they can add.

They stripped salary but they have replacements where you can squint and see they’re “trying” to be competitive. Plus there’s still free agents they can add.

The replacement closer killed them. I have my doubts that the replacements step right in a replace what they let go. Thats a hell of a lot of squinting. 

Jerry is pretty random it seems lol I think he just gets bored and starts playing fantasy baseball lol

I guess. M’s are my 2nd team and I’ll be pissed if this move happens. Losing Miller or Woo hardly appeases me after this shitty off-season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

The replacement closer killed them. I have my doubts that the replacements step right in a replace what they let go. Thats a hell of a lot of squinting. 

I hear ya. I think Urias and Rojas make a solid platoon at either 2B or 3B, not each of them starting at both spots. They can still add a 2B or 3B while those 2 platoon somewhere. I think cutting payroll had more to do with cutting down on guys who K a lot as well.

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Hmm. Woo + one of Young/Ford/Emerson + a lesser third piece? Too much? 

I think Woo has more value. Maybe a Cease + Eloy for Woo++. I still think it’s dumb from Seattle’s side, but who knows  with Dipoto. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Wild how far Emerson climbed after his pro debut. I'm interested. 

I LOVED that dude in the draft.  He's a nasty SOB.  

I loved Emerson Hancock in college. 

Emerson Hancock and Colt Emerson are confusing the hell out of me.  

Edited by Harold's Leg Lift
  • Fire 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic