Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Feels like a hefty price for Polanco. I really have no idea what Dipoto is doing. 

Polanco is slated to make $10 million this year. The Mariners probably are trying to turn a couple of their young guys into a Twins player and have the Twins pay most of the contract, based on the statement that cash is also involved.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Polanco is slated to make $10 million this year. The Mariners probably are trying to turn a couple of their young guys into a Twins player and have the Twins pay most of the contract, based on the statement that cash is also involved.

Cash is involved going to the Twins for DeSclafani.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Seattle is sending cash. DeSlafani offsets Polanco’s money, but Topa, their #4, and their best pitching prospect feels like a lot to me. 

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Seattle is sending cash. DeSlafani offsets Polanco’s money, but Topa, their #4, and their best pitching prospect feels like a lot to me. 

That seems more confusing to me I will grant. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I wouldn’t like this much if I was a mariners fan

I’m certainly not happy. Losing Topa hurts and makes the pen thinner when they already needed better late inning options. Polanco is solid and all, but feels redundant to guys already on the roster IMO. Seems like a Kenny gets his man sort of deal for Dipoto. 

10 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

What, what? The pitching prospect the Mariners traded is not anywhere near the best.

I’m basing that off a local blog write up on the deal. I’m not familiar with him so I could be wrong. 

Trading for Woo or Miller as the main piece for Cease doesn’t make any sense after trading Burger for pitching and leaving massive positional holes all over the roster…

Just another signal the Sox never plan to pay for FA pitching again in the future.

6 years of control for a middle of the rotation starter simply isn’t worth it…if you think back to the Eaton trade, that was for two guys who had the tools to be #1/2 starters with Dunning more of a 3/4 or 4/5.

As a roster-building strategy, the Mariners have always targeted the cost-controlled contracts that come with young players like Woo and Miller. Those kinds of contracts — and the flexibility they afford the rest of the payroll — will take on a larger priority for the Mariners now.

Which is why president of baseball operations Jerry Dipoto hinted Tuesday that he’s unlikely to trade Woo or Miller in the Mariners’ ongoing pursuit of offensive upgrades — even as other teams are “constantly” inquiring about the Mariners’ young pitching depth.

“It’s the appeal of the young guy … who has proven the ability to both compete at the major-league level and help neutralize the growing payrolls around the league,” Dipoto said at the MLB winter meetings. “That’s appealing. It’s hard to get to. And there’s a reason why we get so many phone calls, and there’s a reason why we love the guys the way we do. They’re good and they’ve performed since the day they stepped on a major-league field.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/analysis-why-mariners-are-unlikely-to-trade-away-bryan-woo-or-bryce-miller/#:~:text=That makes them a coveted,with uncertainty surrounding its finances.

https://redbirdrants.com/posts/examining-bryan-woo-and-bryce-miller-as-trade-targets-for-the-cardinals-01hbxyp2apvq

Argues for a trade of Gorman, Nootbaar and/or Donovan (not Walker) for Bryan Woo

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, chw42 said:

Topa is 32 and is a reliever. 

I was referring to the pitching prospect.  The Lookout Landing write up I read called him their best pitching prospect in the low minors. 

Topa came on strong last season as a late inning option. I know he’s 32, but losing him hurts the backend of the bullpen for a team supposedly trying to reach the postseason. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic