Jerry visits Nashville mayor

Quin

Strategically alienating Jason to prod his leaving, yearly cancelling sox fest, hiring Tony as manager, fielding an abhorrent team etc. etc. are all part of Jerry’s plan to deflate the fan base which deflates attendance and deflates overall fan interest which will be Jerry’s reason for moving…….”Chicago doesn’t support us so we have to leave” etc. etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

Strategically alienating Jason to prod his leaving, yearly cancelling sox fest, hiring Tony as manager, fielding an abhorrent team etc. etc. are all part of Jerry’s plan to deflate the fan base which deflates attendance and deflates overall fan interest which will be Jerry’s reason for moving…….”Chicago doesn’t support us so we have to leave” etc. etc. 

But for many years in his stadium deal, I don't know if this still the case, the state of Illinois actually PAID the Sox if the attendance fell below a certain level.

Why the state would agree to this is beyond comprehension and it basically pays ownership not to try to win. 

So why would you leave an area with this type of deal, you think you'd get that in Nashville?

Been a fan since '90, never lived closer to Chicago than 3 hours. I am not a fan because of the location so it doesn't matter much to me. I do however feel for all of you that are local and are rightfully pissed about this. 

• Like 1

Really feels like the Athletics 2.0. Alienate the fanbase as much as possible.

- don’t sign superstar (manny/harper), but spend money on garbage to show they “tried”

-hire TLR and promote based on nepotism

-minor league coaches scandal

-don’t develop minor leagues

-stay in traditional thinking, don’t hire analytics

-cancel fan events because f*** them

-trade away fan favorites

-hire kiss ass bad coaching

-gun scandal

-blame fans, threaten move

-reinsdorf quotes on how to get second place

-“let” benetti go

-tell fans they are stupid and we will compete with a 100+ loss team

-blame fans more, threaten move

im sure I’m missing some, but they are alienating fans on purpose

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

But for many years in his stadium deal, I don't know if this still the case, the state of Illinois actually PAID the Sox if the attendance fell below a certain level.

Why the state would agree to this is beyond comprehension and it basically pays ownership not to try to win. 

So why would you leave an area with this type of deal, you think you'd get that in Nashville?

Because that super sweetheart deal expires in 2029, and politicians would have to actively take steps to renew it just to keep it as is. I sure wouldn't if I were an Illinois state politician - that stadium better be funding itself completely and paying money back to the government if I'm in that role. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I don’t think they paid the Sox, they simply reduced the rent that would be owed.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think they paid the Sox, they simply reduced the rent that would be owed.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2023/09/14/chicago-white-sox-ticket-sales-no-fee-payments-isfa.aspx

If memory serves the deal might have been even sweeter in the first few years - I think JR constructed a deal with extra incentives in those years to cover himself if there was a big, long-lasting, and damaging strike, but I dont' have time to go through the full agreement text.

17 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Low attendance at White Sox games has resulted in the team “paying no ticket fees for over a decade to the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority,” the state agency that owns taxpayer-funded Guaranteed Rate Field, according to Sophie Rodgers of CRAIN’S CHICAGO BUSINESS. The management agreement between ISFA and the White Sox “requires the team to pay a base rent per season, plus net ticket fees if paid attendance exceeds 1.93 million tickets," with that "excluding 'comp' tickets." The team “hasn’t paid ticket fees since 2010,” when it drew nearly 2.2 million fans. Last year, the franchise brought in their highest attendance since then, 1.92 million fans -- “just missing the threshold needed to pay ISFA.” While ISFA does "not heavily rely on revenue from ticket fees to meet its bond obligations,” the “glaring issue is the White Sox’s ability to bring in fans” (CRAIN’S CHICAGO BUSINESS, 9/13). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lightly Folded said:

Low attendance at White Sox games has resulted in the team “paying no ticket fees for over a decade to the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority,” the state agency that owns taxpayer-funded Guaranteed Rate Field, according to Sophie Rodgers of CRAIN’S CHICAGO BUSINESS. The management agreement between ISFA and the White Sox “requires the team to pay a base rent per season, plus net ticket fees if paid attendance exceeds 1.93 million tickets," with that "excluding 'comp' tickets." The team “hasn’t paid ticket fees since 2010,” when it drew nearly 2.2 million fans. Last year, the franchise brought in their highest attendance since then, 1.92 million fans -- “just missing the threshold needed to pay ISFA.” While ISFA does "not heavily rely on revenue from ticket fees to meet its bond obligations,” the “glaring issue is the White Sox’s ability to bring in fans” (CRAIN’S CHICAGO BUSINESS, 9/13). 

9-14-23 Crains

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, T R U said:

I have no idea who my new favorite team would be if this happened

I already have one foot out the door after the failed rebuild, they’re dead to me if they move. I’ll still watch tons of baseball, I just won’t have a local team anymore. It’s really hard to form new attachments after 30+ years of investment in this shitty franchise. 

• Like 4