White Sox, Getz have more work to do before spring training opens

South Side Hit Men

Really wondering if RIck Hahn has any intention of working in baseball (at any level) again or is just going to go the way of Jeffrey Luhnow or the Braves' Coppolello?

KW, even though their ages aren't THAT far off, would be more shocking, unless he found a job somewhere in the vicinity of Arizona.

I'm going to put the shelf life of Chris Getz lasting as the GM as either 2026 or 2027.  Josh Barfield will rise to be the obvious heir-apparent.

Grifol will be lucky to make it through all of 2024...unless the mockery from all around baseball reaches TLR levels from two seasons ago.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

And that same toxic VP was there when Getz was brought in.

So while he was still a player, Chris Gets had Kenny Williams installed as GM so that he could hire Getz as Director of Player Development, at which point it was too late to stop him. 

I don't know why you're not pitching this 5 season series to Netflix. I'm watching The OA right now, and this blows OA out of the water. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The odds of Getz being a wizard GM, after being hand-picked by Jerry and while working under the limitations of Jerry as an owner are overwhelming, yet there are two posters who think he will make it happen.

So what you're saying is that everybody who is proving to me beyond a reasonable doubt that all of baseball history has been leading up to the mastery of Chris Getz is wrong?!?!? Every single one of you has validated my own arguments. Nobody has made a move to disprove me. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Really wondering if RIck Hahn has any intention of working in baseball (at any level) again or is just going to go the way of Jeffrey Luhnow or the Braves' Coppolello?

KW, even though their ages aren't THAT far off, would be more shocking, unless he found a job somewhere in the vicinity of Arizona.

I'm going to put the shelf life of Chris Getz lasting as the GM as either 2026 or 2027.  Josh Barfield will rise to be the obvious heir-apparent.

Grifol will be lucky to make it through all of 2024...unless the mockery from all around baseball reaches TLR levels from two seasons ago.

I think Hahn's done in baseball. Hahn making it back to GM would be the story of the century. He has too much of the stink of not failure, but of resignation to failure. He should have quit and sold cars until his contract ran out. 

I don't think Grifol makes it through 2024. I think he's being kept around as a mulligan by Getz. 

I don't know about Getz, but yes, Barfield is going places. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

So what you're saying is that everybody who is proving to me beyond a reasonable doubt that all of baseball history has been leading up to the mastery of Chris Getz is wrong?!?!? Every single one of you has validated my own arguments. Nobody has made a move to disprove me. 

Getz is already proving to be a poor GM by dumpster diving for crappy veterans that no other team wants and that won’t make much of a difference in the Sox second straight march to 100 losses.  Congrats, you win…  I guess?  Nah, more like we all lose.  😭

Edited by WhiteSox2023

I just love that he hasn't named Andrew Vaughn as a development win yet.

His defense has been horrendous and has made him a net negative, but he went from barely any minor experience to the majors.

Also, Getz can get credit for Burger. It's just hysterical that Burger had to go to a collegiate league to prove to the team that he deserved to be at the alternate camp.

Also, Dane Dunning somehow didn't get mentioned. He would have been wiser than Gio or ReyLo. Aaron Bummer as well.

But anyway, more flameouts other than the ones that DA listed:

To recap, DA's list

• Spencer Adams,
  • Jared Kelly (on life support)
  • Matthew Thompson (there's a chance)
  • Carson Fulmer
  • Zack Burdi
  • Zack Collins

Let's add

• Yolbert Sanchez
  • Blake Rutherford
  • Alec Hansen
  • Micker Adolfo
  • Laz Rivera
  • Yoelki Cespedes
  • Wes Kath
  • Andrew Dalquist
  • D.J. Gladney (if he doesn't turn it around)
  • Oscar Colas (I believe still, but many here — and seemingly Pedro — do not)

I don't think Vera (injury) or Stiever (injury after shooting through the system) can be held against him. But otherwise, that list is high draft picks, big bonus high schoolers, or expensive LatAm signings. The only one who doesn't apply is Laz Rivera, but he started getting trade smoke everywhere after a breakout minor season.

Then you have his supposed feathers

• The team not properly developing Eloy as an outfielder has led to so many disastrous situations for the team AND he hasn't duplicated his rookie season at the plate.
  • Kopech was supposed to be an ace and is a catastrophe.
  • Gio literally left the team to get support his development here was so bad.
  • Yoan is tricky because he had a great 2019 and a good 2021. But he's fragile and doesn't hustle. I honestly place more on MLB coaching for Yoan.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz is already proving to be a poor GM by dumpster diving for crappy veterans that no other team wants and that won’t make much of a different in the Sox second straight march to 100 losses.  Congrats, you win…  I guess?  Nah, more like we all lose.  😭

The Mets were in on Fedde. If Soroka hit free agency, he'd probably be making at least 3x his estimated $3 million he'll get in arbitration. They got two of the games most lauded catchers to teach winning to the entire pitching staff, virtually for free. They picked up a 20-HR, great defensive SS for peanuts. Shane Drohan will become a Shane Drohan name. I mean household. See what I mean? It's happening already!

Get back to me at the parade. I'll take your apology in 20's. 

• Fire 1

To be kind to Getz: Colson, Schultz, Ramos and Mena all have opportunities to be huge wins for him.

Same for Jacob Burke, Lenyn, Cannon, Pallette and Popeye.

Obviously, anyone who comes up through the system soon will be a W, but those are just a few bigger names (that weren't also trade acquisitions and thus have the lingering specter of KW/Hahn).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

I just love that he hasn't named Andrew Vaughn as a development win yet.

His defense has been horrendous and has made him a net negative, but he went from barely any minor experience to the majors.

Also, Getz can get credit for Burger. It's just hysterical that Burger had to go to a collegiate league to prove to the team that he deserved to be at the alternate camp.

Also, Dane Dunning somehow didn't get mentioned. He would have been wiser than Gio or ReyLo. Aaron Bummer as well.

But anyway, more flameouts other than the ones that DA listed:

To recap, DA's list

• Spencer Adams,
  • Jared Kelly (on life support)
  • Matthew Thompson (there's a chance)
  • Carson Fulmer
  • Zack Burdi
  • Zack Collins

Let's add

• Yolbert Sanchez
  • Blake Rutherford
  • Alec Hansen
  • Micker Adolfo
  • Laz Rivera
  • Yoelki Cespedes
  • Wes Kath
  • Andrew Dalquist
  • D.J. Gladney (if he doesn't turn it around)
  • Oscar Colas (I believe still, but many here — and seemingly Pedro — do not)

I don't think Vera (injury) or Stiever (injury after shooting through the system) can be held against him. But otherwise, that list is high draft picks, big bonus high schoolers, or expensive LatAm signings. The only one who doesn't apply is Laz Rivera, but he started getting trade smoke everywhere after a breakout minor season.

Then you have his supposed feathers

• The team not properly developing Eloy as an outfielder has led to so many disastrous situations for the team AND he hasn't duplicated his rookie season at the plate.
  • Kopech was supposed to be an ace and is a catastrophe.
  • Gio literally left the team to get support his development here was so bad.
  • Yoan is tricky because he had a great 2019 and a good 2021. But he's fragile and doesn't hustle. I honestly place more on MLB coaching for Yoan.

Andrew Vaughn was rushed by those who tried to hold off the Getz coup. Of course Getz receives credit for Burger. Getz personally coached him back to his form. Taught him how to hit dingers. I did mention Dunning multiple times. 

Are you actually calling 28th rounder, Laz Rivera a "flameout"? Thank you for the Easter egg to show me you're on my side. LOL. 

Micker Adolfo is actually in the victory column, because Keith Law described him as a gym curiosity that the White Sox taught how to hit. He just kept getting hurt. Hahn got head-faked into putting him on the 40-man a year or two too early. Fulmer and Colas were rushed before Getz could teach them to be great. He was so close...

Hansen and Collins were gambles KW took. Many were calling Zach Collins a horrible pick the day he was taken. Even Chris Getz has his limits to that Chris Getz magic. 

DJ Gladney just kind of had a breakout season. 

Personally, I think there was so much chaos in the entire system, we really can't tell if Hostetler was a clown, or KW/JR were throwing darts in the draft war room. I can't believe Hostetler's team was that inept. If they were really taking lesser guys, their 2nd and 3rd rounders should have at least been turning into Tony Graffaninos and such. Utility infielders and bullpen guys. It's really weird how the Sox' 38th round has been more fruitful than their 2nd round, for, like, 50 years. 

25 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The Mets were in on Fedde. If Soroka hit free agency, he'd probably be making at least 3x his estimated $3 million he'll get in arbitration. They got two of the games most lauded catchers to teach winning to the entire pitching staff, virtually for free. They picked up a 20-HR, great defensive SS for peanuts. Shane Drohan will become a Shane Drohan name. I mean household. See what I mean? It's happening already!

Get back to me at the parade. I'll take your apology in 20's. 

Fedde / Mets — okay, one other team was interested.  My mistake.

Soroka has pitched a total of 46 innings since 2019.  He didn’t even pitch in 2021 or 2022.  You are delusional if you think any team was paying him $9 million for 2024, considering his injury history.

Two lauded catchers, one who didn’t even play last year in Stassi and one who the Astros finally dumped in Maldonado after his pitch framing and arm fell off big time.

And finally, Paul DeJong who hasn’t OPS’ed above .674 or hit 20 homeruns since his single All-Star season with the Cardinals back in 2019.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And finally, Paul DeJong who hasn’t OPS’ed above .674 or hit 20 homeruns since his one All-Star season with the Cardinals in 2019.

Yeah, but now he's teammates with Martin Maldenado, who will teach him how to win, and Chris Getz will lovingly develop him into the next A-Rod. The next P-Jong, if you will. Copyright that. 

34 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz is already proving to be a poor GM by dumpster diving for crappy veterans that no other team wants and that won’t make much of a difference in the Sox second straight march to 100 losses.  Congrats, you win…  I guess?  Nah, more like we all lose.  😭

He's acquired the veterans for the price of an inconsistent reliever; far cry from his predecessor who would trade a legitimate prosect for a washed up veteran.   Admittedly,  his predecessor as a point of comparison is a ridiculously low bar.  But Getz really doesn't have a lot of assets to work with.

As for his work in player development, well it certainly hasn't been a success.  But he can only try to develop the players he's given, and who knows how much of the problem was lousy drafting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Yeah, but now he's teammates with Martin Maldenado, who will teach him how to win, and Chris Getz will lovingly develop him into the next A-Rod. The next P-Jong, if you will. Copyright that. 

You're starting to sound like Bill Walton crossed with early 1990's heyday Dick Vitale.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

‘Andrew Vaughn was rushed by those who tried to hold off the Getz coup’ is a sentence I never in my life ever expected to read.

Dudes were throwing Laz Rivera and Zach Remillard at the surging throngs, hoping for anything to hold off the inevitable.

Chris Getz was their fate. 

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I think Pedro will be fired before the all-star break. The Sox will be something like 10-30 and that will be that. First scapegoat.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I think Pedro will be fired before the all-star break. The Sox will be something like 10-30 and that will be that. First scapegoat.

The Sox had one of the worst all time starts for the franchise last April. Best case scenario they will pleasantly surprise, play baseball which is at least entertaining and not riddled with errors and dumb approaches seen the past few years.

People keep coming out during nice weather and they can credibly start selling the future with Montgomery and a few unexpected surprises coming up or playing well to stay near the .500 mark. Need Getz to speak openly and honestly on what the plans are and deliver a thoughtful plan and the Sox can start gaining the trust of fans after sabotaging 2022-2023. 

Im going to Vegas in a few weeks, and want to put down $500 or $1,000 if I can find a book taking win bets for a White Sox over 63-64 win total. By then (two week trip will end late January) I’ll know what the haul will be if they end up trading Cease, and see if they make any more acquisitions in the interim.

The wild card is whether there will be a fire sale in July, and what depth they will have in place heading into it. I’m optimistic the Sox will land in the 70-72 win position, even with Cease traded and or a few trades in July. People tend to overreact based on the prior year, either positively (2022 outlook based on 2021) or negatively (2024 based on 2023). Granted 70 wins is still not a good season, but for the talent level it will be cromulent assuming a decent long term plan targeting contention in 2026.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Sox had one of the worst all time starts for the franchise last April. Best case scenario they will pleasantly surprise, play baseball which is at least entertaining and not riddled with errors and dumb approaches seen the past few years.

People keep coming out during nice weather and they can credibly start selling the future with Montgomery and a few unexpected surprises coming up or playing well to stay near the .500 mark. Need Getz to speak openly and honestly on what the plans are and deliver a thoughtful plan and the Sox can start gaining the trust of fans after sabotaging 2022-2023. 

Im going to Vegas in a few weeks, and want to put down $500 or $1,000 if I can find a book taking win bets for a White Sox over 63-64 win total. By then (two week trip will end late January) I’ll know what the haul will be if they end up trading Cease, and see if they make any more acquisitions in the interim.

The wild card is whether there will be a fire sale in July, and what depth they will have in place heading into it. I’m optimistic the Sox will land in the 70-72 win position, even with Cease traded and or a few trades in July. People tend to overreact based on the prior year, either positively (2022 outlook based on 2021) or negatively (2024 based on 2023). Granted 70 wins is still not a good season, but for the talent level it will be cromulent assuming a decent long term plan targeting contention in 2026.

That's filling nearly an entire 2026 roster with players other than their current 25/26 man outside of Robert Montgomery and Scholz.

Maybe Benintendi...more likely not.