Sox sign P Chris Flexen, DFA Carlos Perez

baseball_gal_aly

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Seems like Getz is stockpiling projects for Bannister and his veteran catchers.  Might just work with a few of these guys.

What do we gain if Chris Flexen or Tim Hill “work out”?  We will get nothing of value from flipping them and they offer no long-term potential.  These dudes are literally just placeholders abiding time until some actual prospects arrive and hopefully take their spots.  April & May is going to be absolutely brutal.

• Like 2
  • Paper Bag 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What do we gain if Chris Flexen or Tim Hill “work out”?  We will get nothing of value from flipping them and they offer no long-term potential.  These dudes are literally just placeholders abiding time until some actual prospects arrive and hopefully take their spots.  April 2024 & May 2025 is going to be absolutely brutal.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, fathom said:

They’re going to be under 100 come 2025

I highly doubt it given our TV contract expires after this season.  He’ll have to -assure potential partners that he plans to make some big commitments if he wants any chance at a good deal.  Not suggesting he will go hog wild by any means, but the payroll slashing this year is 100% recovering for the losses the team endured last year.

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

These dudes are literally just placeholders abiding time until some actual prospects arrive and hopefully take their spots.  April & May is going to be absolutely brutal.

Ding ding.

Hill might bring value as a lefthanded bullpen piece, but other than that, their jobs are to literally pitch innings until minor actual prospects are ready without ruining their development.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What do we gain if Chris Flexen or Tim Hill “work out”?  We will get nothing of value from flipping them and they offer no long-term potential.  These dudes are literally just placeholders abiding time until some actual prospects arrive and hopefully take their spots.  April & May is going to be absolutely brutal.

They are going to help the Sox win the division.  Just ask poppy.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So if Flexen pitches 75 innings injury free and has a 4 ERA,  4 FIP, 6.5 K/9 he wouldnt be worth something, anything ?

I just find it odd you and others place so little value on his 21 & 22 seasons and his age. There is some upside there.

When you are talking about Kopech, Toussaint, Soroka, Flexen, Fedde and Scholtens . I think if I gave each poster the chance to name the guy who puts up the best and worst season out of those 6 as a SP 80% of the board couldn't get  both guesses right.

I think if we're being fair any one of them could be worth some kind of prospect or can be a disaster. Hell Giolito for his 2 years $38M could suck as much as any of those 5 nor is he guaranteed to be the best if added to that group.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So if Flexen pitches 75 innings injury free and has a 4 ERA,  4 FIP, 6.5 K/9 he wouldnt be worth something, anything ?

I just find it odd you and others place so little value on his 21 & 22 seasons and his age. There is some upside there.

When you are talking about Kopech, Toussaint, Soroka, Flexen, Fedde and Scholtens . I think if I gave each poster the chance to name the guy who puts up the best and worst season out of those 6 as a SP 80% of the board couldn't get  both guesses right.

I think if we're being fair any one of them could be worth some kind of prospect or can be a disaster. Hell Giolito for his 2 years $38M could suck as much as any of those 5 nor is he guaranteed to be the best if added to that group.

He might be worth a low A lottery ticket at the deadline that won’t pan out to anything.  He’s not worth giving any innings to over the Sox own pitching prospects.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • TLR 1

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

True, but at least Montgomery, Nastrini, and a few other prospects will be up by June or so.  Like you couldn’t pay me money to watch Chris Flexin & Tim Hill get their asses handed to them by the fucking Royals and then have to listen to Grifol defend these scrubs in the post-game.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

April and May? This run of absolute ass baseball, will go FAR beyond April and May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The upside to Chris Flexen is that Jerry won't see another winning team in his lifetime

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I have an irrational hate for pitchers that don’t K people.  It started with Keuchel and has manifested from there.  But in all seriousness, Flexin benefited a ton from pitching in Seattle.  Check his home / run splits and his projected HR totals at other parks if you don’t believe me.  I just don’t see the potential with him.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have an irrational hate for pitchers that don’t K people.  It started with Keuchel and has manifested from there.  But in all seriousness, Flexin benefited a ton from pitching in Seattle.  Check his home / run splits and his projected HR totals at other parks if you don’t believe me.  I just don’t see the potential with him.

It’s not irrational at all.  Luck only lasts so long.  It’s a reason guys like Hill and Flexen fell into the dumpster that Getz just fished them out of.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The good news is that Chris Getz made an org chart.

I heard he told everyone their responsibilities and expectations.  Right after that, Jerry told Getz how much he could spend from the dumpster to attempt to build a .500 team.

“We won the division in ’21, we were .500 last year.  That’s nobody’s goal to be .500, but that’s still average.“

Good luck, Chris.

• Fire 1

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He also lost 1 mph on his fastball (actually on all his pitches) after 2021.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Chris Getz, Sox offices are closed!  Didn’t you get the memo?  Please stop working and report back to your family!  That’s enough awful acquisitions for one week!

The man is a machine. He simply can't stop and WON'T stop working! An absolute assassin!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Look at the bright side. Rick Hahn saw Vince Velazquez have an ERA of 6 with the Padres, said “that’s worth $3 million to me”, and then insisted he had a competitive roster improved by that move. Think of the savings, another guy with an ERA of 6 with a west coast team in a big ballpark, but $1.2 million cheaper!

And yeah, at least no one is telling us how this will be a key part of competing this year.

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to Sox sign P Chris Flexen, DFA Carlos Perez