Mets In Agreement On Two-Year Deal With Sean Manaea

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/mets-in-agreement-on-two-year-deal-with-sean-manaea.html

Two years $28M total with an opt out.

Leaves five free agent starting pitchers left with a 2.0 + projected 2024 fWAR.

1. 3.3 Blake Snell
  2. 3.2 Jordan Montgomery
  3. 2.6 Shota Imanaga
  4. 2.6 Marcus Stroman
  5. 2.3 James Paxson

Also rans (1.0-1.9): Ryu, Kershaw, Bauer, Urias, Clevinger, Lorenzen, German, Greinke, Carrasco, Junis, Wood.

9 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

Is Julio Urias even an option for teams?  Isn't he a Bora's client?

Domestic violence charges, so no one is touching him until it is resolved.  The MLB placed him on administrative leave.  Boras is indeed his agent.  Here’s the latest update from Boras on the situation from November:

Edited by WhiteSox2023

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

thats 3 guys the Mets have brought in for rotation depth this offseason. They might well need pitching during the season but have to think they’re out of slots for now, at least until someone is hurt.

I guess. The same way the Sox have brought in three guys Fedde, Soroka, and Shuster.  You can write names down, doesn’t mean they’re gonna stay healthy or not suck. I guess Manea has a chance in that ballpark. Nothing carries out to left.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I guess. The same way the Sox have brought in three guys Fedde, Soroka, and Shuster.  You can write names down, doesn’t mean they’re gonna stay healthy or not suck. I guess Manea has a chance in that ballpark. Nothing carries out to left.

I see Senga and four big question marks in that rotation. How healthy or effective they will be is anyone’s guess. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Basically, the Mets have clearly said that as of today they aren’t trading for a guy like Cease. The guys they have may suck, but with that new GM/President they are committing to a more sustainable path than what they did last season. Fill out a roster with some guys who may or may not be good, hold onto the young talent the organization has, and make decisions once you’re into the season and can see how things go.

The Mets are now trying to get a foundation for their roster instead of bringing in expensive free agents.  Their fans will not be happy, but this is the right approach.  They will not trade away their prospects that are close to being ready for short term players.  Once they feel they are ready to compete, they will then bring in free agents.  

49 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Good move for NYM

With luxury tax, Manea is gonna cost them $29.5 mil this year alone. Personally, that does not seem like a good deal to me, but he was better in the second half, so maybe?

10 hours ago, Timmy U said:

With luxury tax, Manea is gonna cost them $29.5 mil this year alone. Personally, that does not seem like a good deal to me, but he was better in the second half, so maybe?

Manaea was pretty terrible the last two seasons in notorious pitchers' parks...his stuff has deteriorated considerably.