Sox trade Cristian Mena to Arizona for OF Dominic Fletcher

Heads22

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This move legit terrifies me.  How does trading Mena for a 26 year old, 5’ 6” OF enhance our long-term outlook?  Like I get this guy isn’t completely powerless, but we now have a pair of contact-oriented hitters in our OF corners.  This just seems like such a low ceiling move and I struggle to see the broader strategy here.  And now I’m actually worried that Getz places very little value on power.

I find it puzzling too. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

What world do you live in where 26 year olds that have a great track record of hitting at every level are just floating around on the free agent list? What a ridiculously bad take.

And Mena is a mediocre prospect that got overrated amongst the mess the Sox have in the minors. A RHP that has a 90 mph fastball and below average control isn’t a recipe for success…and the results show so far in the minors.

You’re comparing the track record of a 26 year old to a guy who was 20 last year as if they are actually comparable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, getting rid of one-dimensional sluggers in the OF corners made sense.  But we need multi-dimensional players that can actually hit some bombs and substituting one weakness for another doesn’t actually accomplish anything.

The Benintendi contract is looking so much worse now.  Would like to see a Fletcher—Robert—DeLoach outfield sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re comparing the track record of a 26 year old to a guy who was 20 last year as if they are actually comparable.

Plus with the terrible Sox system the perception of Mena was probably skewed upwards...but shuffling the decks to this extent (seemingly) isn't bringing in any future impact players.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Benintendi contract is looking so much worse now.  Would like to see a Fletcher—Robert—DeLoach outfield sooner rather than later.

DeLoach is much more well suited for LF.

Not aspiring for that particular outfield will get us very far...after Luis Robert is traded.

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s not huge dollars in the grand scheme of things, but it’s highly problematic for us.  We got to hope that he rebounds this year and Getz proactively dumps before any further regression can take place.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s not huge dollars in the grand scheme of things, but it’s highly problematic for us.  We got to hope that he rebounds this year and Getz proactively dumps before any further regression can take place.

Yep, the years are the problem.  What team would want four more years of him?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Fletcher looks like a perfect leadoff hitter.  Even Grifol can’t mess this up, right?

Actually, Grifol will probably bat Nicky Lopez at leadoff.

Benintendi’s only purpose on this roster is to be the leadoff hitter and I highly doubt he gets moved off that spot.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Where did I compare them? I responded to someone saying that Fletcher is a minor league free agent level talent. Which is indeed ridiculous given his track record.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I kinda hate this. Mena has some legitimate question marks but I think he's on the whole he's impressed at a young age. I guess I like Berroa better if you consider these deals in summation, but dang, I would've rather just rolled out Colas I think. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Is Fletcher out of options? Trying to ask why the DBacks would do this deal when they could use players available now rather than a few years away.

Drafted in 2019 as an almost 22 year old and has only had a cup of coffee in the bigs. I doubt he's out of minor league options.

14 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Fletcher looks like a perfect leadoff hitter.  Even Grifol can’t mess this up, right?

Actually, Grifol will probably bat Nicky Lopez at leadoff.

I was just trying to think of who bats leadoff this season with TA gone, and I sure as hell hope its not Naperville Nicky...

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Hah, I feel the opposite.  These two trades today have given me a little more faith in Getz as a GM.  Dude needs to stay away from the free agent dumpster diving and make more trades.  I guess I don’t see much in Mena.  Doubt he ever makes the majors.

The hand wringing about veterans which won't matter beyond perhaps what they were flipped for amuses me. They need to field a team and stabilize attendance from falling significantly further. 

I'm not saying Getz is bad because of this move, just saying the move is short sighted. The FA signings do not impact future teams but this move with limited upside does. Non of the 2024 FA pickups or Fletcher will be around on the next competitive Sox team. Just saying they should get a younger prospect with more late 2020s upside, not a guy pushing 30 if the Sox turn it around in 2026/2027. Hoping he can contribute and perhaps be flipped in a year or two.

Mena has struggled at EVERY SINGLE STOP not named Kannapolis. I'm not losing sleep over moving a kid with his repertoire in favor of a kid who is ready to play the OF for a team that sorely lacks MLB ready OFers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The hand wringing about veterans which won't matter beyond perhaps what they were flipped for amuses me. They need to field a team and stabilize attendance from falling significantly further. 

I'm not saying Getz is bad because of this move, just saying the move is short sighted. The FA signings do not impact future teams but this move with limited upside does. Non of the 2024 FA pickups or Fletcher will be around on the next competitive Sox team. Just saying they should get a younger prospect with more late 2020s upside, not a guy pushing 30 if the Sox turn it around in 2026/2027. Hoping he can contribute and perhaps be flipped in a year or two.

It’s more a concern to me because he acquired some really bad players via free agency, which is an indictment on what he apparently values in a player.  I’d give his trades an A and his free agent acquisitions an F.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

• Quin changed the title to Sox trade Cristian Mena to Arizona for OF Dominic Fletcher
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic