ST Thread

pcq

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Bullpen:  CL Kopech; SU Brebbia; Leasure & Wilson; MR Banks; Hill; Swing: Garcia; Toussaint

That's not a bad bullpen. And with Knebel, Leone, Barlow and Cousins waiting in the wings, that actually looks like a pretty shut down bullpen. 

That’s absolute trash to anyone that isn’t a homer.  Kopech has no idea where the ball is going and two of the other guys are rejects from last year’s team that didn’t perform.  Brebbia, your setup man, has yet to face live hitters due to his calf injury.

For the most part ,who the f*** are you kidding?!?  Touki is garbage and shouldn’t even make the team as a long reliever.  What fucking dimension do you watch baseball in that you think some of these scrubs are good?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, it has 350 innings and 4.5 of those War from Thorpe, Crochet, and Soroka. 

209D66FB-95C4-41C2-8051-C7DCC01D0DB2.gif

I think that is fair criticism, and either number is terrible for an entire staff. I do think that over/under performances vs. the projections will mostly even out (so say expected 2024 White Sox Staff fWAR  will end up somewhere between 7.5 and 10.0 in 2024).

Let me be clear my statement was addressing the disparity between the two staffs. 8.8 or 10.0 overall. Both indicate a bottom 10-14% pitching staff across the history of the MLB.

From 1901-2023 (excluding the 1974 season which for some reason isn't populating team fWAR), there are 2622 total pitching seasons.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=nl&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&month=0&ind=1&team=0%2Cts&startdate=&enddate=&sortcol=21&sortdir=default&pageitems=2000000000&season1=1901&season=2023&pagenum=1

• Cleveland's 2017 staff has the highest Pitching fWAR at 30.4.
  • The 1915 Athletics were the worst all time (excluding the 2020 owner lockout) at 0.3 fWAR
  • 8.8 fWAR would tie for 2207 of 2620, but should place them lower due to the fact there were many short seasons under this for including 1981, 1994, 2020.

Bottom line, both staffs are/were bad, but I don't expect much of a difference in overall performance.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

That’s absolute trash to anyone that isn’t a homer.  Kopech has no idea where the ball is going and two of the other guys are rejects from last year’s team that didn’t perform.  Brebbia, your setup man, has yet to face live hitters due to his calf injury.

For the most part ,who the f*** are you kidding?!?  Touki is garbage and shouldn’t even make the team as a long reliever.  What fucking dimension do you watch baseball in that you think some of these scrubs are good?

Oh, I get it. You haven't been watching baseball for that long, so unless you can recognize names, like Ohtani, Messi, LeBron, or The Queen of England, you have no idea if they're good at baseball or not. 

Actually, Brebbia has faced live hitters yesterday, or today. The days blend together. 

I understand your philosophy. You don't think the White Sox will be competitive in the next few decades. Conversely, you don't think the White Sox should sign or keep any players who won't be on their next championship team. Since you don't think the Sox will be Champions in the next 40 years, and none of those players have been born yet, you think the white Sox should just put posters of drawings of baseball players in the field for the next 40 years. 

That's untenable. 

But you have the weirdest way of telling me I'm right and that you agree with me. 

Thanks. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Oh, I get it. You haven't been watching baseball for that long, so unless you can recognize names, like Ohtani, Messi, LeBron, or The Queen of England, you have no idea if they're good at baseball or not. 

Actually, Brebbia has faced live hitters yesterday, or today. The days blend together. 

I understand your philosophy. You don't think the White Sox will be competitive in the next few decades. Conversely, you don't think the White Sox should sign or keep any players who won't be on their next championship team. Since you don't think the Sox will be Champions in the next 40 years, and none of those players have been born yet, you think the white Sox should just put posters of drawings of baseball players in the field for the next 40 years. 

That's untenable. 

But you have the weirdest way of telling me I'm right and that you agree with me. 

Thanks. 

Dude, everyone knows you are going to disappear from posting once your Getz obsession GETZ destroyed by the true talent level of the scrubs that your favorite GM acquired.  I will sit by patiently and see how you respond…

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Dude, everyone knows you are going to disappear from posting once your Getz obsession GETZ destroyed by the true talent level of the scrubs that your favorite GM acquired.  I will sit by patiently and see how you respond…

Comrade, I've been online for awhile. See, I didn't name myself after the first White Sox team I was ever aware of like you did. I have been called a Ron Schueler lover, a KW stan, a Rick Hahn fanboi, and now that I have a Getz obsession. I'm a White Sox fan. I don't follow them to shorten my life by decades like you do. I just follow them. I don't try to make people feel like sh*t for being positive. That's malarkey. 

I'm not really aware of this type of fanhood. You like a team, so you attack everybody who thinks players on that team will do well? Even when they have track records of doing well? I thought you were factually based. Sounds like you are too emotional to follow this sport. 

I don't think you've ever done anything patiently. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not sure about that. Better staff now than post deadline. First 4 months had a lot of bad pitchers as well.

2024 Projections (Fan Graphs Depth Chart): 8.8 fWAR

2023 Actual: 10.0 fWAR

Beating 10fWAR isn't exactly a tall order. You might as well use a random number generator on guys like Soroka or Fedde. They very well could be bad, but we spent a lot of money on pitching last year to be bad. Spending nothing and beating 10fWAR would actually be somewhat of an accomplishment.

Edited by mac9001
  • Like 1

The pitching from the guys expected to make the 26 has actually been pretty good this spring.

Of course it was an open tryout so there were going to be guys who stood out in small sample sizes. We all know that performance with relief pitching can vary greatly from game to game especially with guys who have trouble throwing strikes.

However it does suck being reduced to thinking the Sox pitching won't be as bad as I thought  because of ST numbers.

Leasure seems legitimately talented. Unsure about the rest of them until they can throw strikes consistently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Hah, they just didn’t want to pay him $3 million.

For good reason. Haven’t you been going on and on for weeks about the Sox giving Pillar $3M? Now they release him and that’s an issue too? 

• Like 3

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

For good reason. Haven’t you been going on and on for weeks about the Sox giving Pillar $3M? Now they release him and that’s an issue too? 

I said they missed out on a better outfielder (Taylor) for $1 million more.  But I still think it’s funny that they just traded Cease, cut Moustakas and Pillar, and JR will basically be pocketing $13 million.

22 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Well, this is the first year of the new regime, so it is hard to tell what Getz would do plus Grifol's record last year of prioritizing veterans.

If they open versus Detroit with this roster give or take a guy or two, it is fine and they will have some OK, hopefully good / improving options (Colas or Sosa, maybe Popeye) before the next core group is considered late this year or early next year.

2024 Opening Day Roster

Starters (RF TBD):  

Maldonado; 1B Vaughan; 2B Lopez; 3B Moncada; SS DeJong; LF Benintendi; CF Robert Junior; DH Jimenez

Reserves C Stassi; INF Mendick; RF/OF Fletcher & Phillips; 1B/DH Sheets

Rotation: 1 Crochet; 2 Soroka; 3 Fedde; 4 Flexen; 5 Nastrini

Bullpen:  CL Kopech; SU Brebbia; Leasure & Wilson; MR Banks; Hill; Swing: Garcia; Toussaint

Last Out: RP J. Chavez; B. Shaw; 2B/SS B. Shewmake

I have no idea who will make it. 
But from what I've seen, Lee should make it over Stassi; Mendick would be ridiculous.  As for Kopech, yes he was good out of the pen in 2021; but he was good as a starter in 2022.  I'm not sure that the the pen is the magic salve. 

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

When a person decides they're just going to whine about everything, no matter what it is, making sense is one of the first casualties. 

49 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

$13 million more in Jerry’s pocket.  I guess I should probably stop caring about the Sox giving money to bad players.

Or stop going to games.

Or stop watching the team.

Or stop following the team and spazzing out over every non-move. 

I gotta say I didn't think that the release of Pillar would hurt feelings outside of the Pillar household,  but here we are.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Or stop going to games.

Or stop watching the team.

Or stop following the team and spazzing out over every non-move. 

I gotta say I didn't think that the release of Pillar would hurt feelings outside of the Pillar household,  but here we are.

Checkmark on the first one.  Not so much on the second and third.  I guess I thought a Sox message board would be where you go to talk about the team, during good times and bad.  When they won the WS in 2005, I’m sure everything was positive.  When a team sucks, it should be expected that people discuss the suckitude and the terrible owner.

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

When a team sucks, it should be expected that people discuss the suckitude and the terrible owner.

There certainly is enough suckitude to discuss. One wouldn't think you would have to make up other, nonsensical BS to whine about. Peter Angelos died today. Please tell us why Jerry Reinsdorf's behind that to make more money. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

There certainly is enough suckitude to discuss. One wouldn't think you would have to make up other, nonsensical BS to whine about. Peter Angelos died today. Please tell us why Jerry Reinsdorf's behind that to make more money. 

Those Orioles fans win again.  Didn’t overpay us for Cease and got rid of their deadbeat owner even before nature took its course.