Sox Sign Mike Moustakas

Heads22

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You have a 100 loss team , projected to be awful. You have very few young guys ready. Yet you sign a bunch off crappy players for clubhouse and leadership reasons. What does that say about your manager? 

That Ricky would have been a better choice?

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

At some point this year, I would expect all of the following guys up: Montgomery, Ramos, Quero (perhaps late in the season), Nastrini, Eder, and ofcourse Fletcher will start with thr club.

Plus ofcourse whoever comes from the Cease trade.

Hopefully after Pedro is canned.

21 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don’t want anyone rushed, especially Ramos, Montgomery and Quero, but if anyone I listed are clearly ready to be promoted, they should be here and play 4-5 games a week. 

Too many prospects were brought in the past to watch games, or rushed because Hahn couldn’t do his job.

Fletcher needs to play regardless, in part because they need to prove they didn’t screw up the Mena trade, and you may as well play him regularly to see what if anything you do have (at least everyday vs. RHP) the next year or two, and perhaps he will be more than a platoon reserve OF.

Lopez is perhaps the next veteran with any value because of position flexibility, but the rest can be tossed like salad if anything younger and better comes along. That includes both veteran catchers, would DFA Maldonado over Stassi unless Stassi has health or durablity issues.

If they flop they weren't ready and the Sox suck for rushing them. If they do well they are held back and should have been on the roster last year and the Sox still suck. 

21 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Sosa and Rodriguez would seem to be the most immediately impacted...feels like they already wrote off those two, along with Lee and Colas.

That's the plan. Keep minor leaguers in the minors as long as they can. Pile up some numbers and still have 6 full years. Be 100 % sure they are ready.

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's the plan. Keep minor leaguers in the minors as long as they can. Pile up some numbers and still have 6 full years. Be 100 % sure they are ready.

There's no compelling reason to push Quero up this season.

Even if Maldonado and Stassi are inevitably both injured or waived...just use Lee and the equivalent pickup of Zavala freely available on the waiver wire.

11 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

You have a 100 loss team , projected to be awful. You have very few young guys ready. Yet you sign a bunch off crappy players for clubhouse and leadership reasons. What does that say about your manager? 

It says nothing about the manager. Getz is doing what JR limited him to doing. Grifol was paid for. Firing him is like giving away money to JR. All the veteran players are to make the pitchers a comfortable as they can on the mound , decent defense behind them. Nothing is as important as capitalizing on an improved Cease , a good Fedde, Kopech, Soroka and all the other pitchers. Anyone with any value running out of years is going to be flipped when pitching is desired the most.

Pedrol just needs to play the stiffs that can play defense. Bannister is way more important than Grifol. 90 95 100 105 loses who cares who the manager is? It's all suck. The kids will play in the 2nd half once they vaquish anyone worth anything.

• Love 1

On 2/14/2024 at 10:48 PM, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I predict Yoan is going to have a monster season this year.  

I'm sure he will, nothing on the line this season and no one has any expectations of winning more than 60 games.

59 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

I'm sure he will, nothing on the line this season and no one has any expectations of winning more than 60 games.

Contract year is the motivating factor, I think. 

7 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

So, if Moncada has a monster year, do the Sox pick up his option?  Or look to extend?

If Moncada has a monster year, then hopefully he's tradable at the deadline. Get rid of the money and leave that on someone else.

No way on Earth you extend him, not with a team controlled 1 year option.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It says nothing about the manager. Getz is doing what JR limited him to doing. Grifol was paid for. Firing him is like giving away money to JR. All the veteran players are to make the pitchers a comfortable as they can on the mound , decent defense behind them. Nothing is as important as capitalizing on an improved Cease , a good Fedde, Kopech, Soroka and all the other pitchers. Anyone with any value running out of years is going to be flipped when pitching is desired the most.

Pedrol just needs to play the stiffs that can play defense. Bannister is way more important than Grifol. 90 95 100 105 loses who cares who the manager is? It's all suck. The kids will play in the 2nd half once they vaquish anyone worth anything.

But they've done it with a lot of players. Releasing them before their contract was out. Luery and Kuechel come to mind, I know there are others.

However, as others have mentioned in this thread, who cares who the manager is this year. Doesn't matter anyways.