Sox Sign Mike Moustakas

Heads22

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Matt Latos incoming if he has ever been within 100 meters of a Royals major or minor league facility of any kind.

https://www.royalsreview.com/2016/1/11/10734484/royals-trade-rumor-free-agent-mat-latos

Getz still bitter after missing out eight years ago on that wonderful opportunity.

Matt Latos, god that was a flash in the pan season for the Sox. Started what, like 20-10 and then went 20-35 or something and were out of it by July.

9 minutes ago, Snopek said:

So like, who even are the young guys expected to be on the roster that all these clubhouse leaders are supposed to have a positive influence on?

That's been my point. How is Korey Lee going to get much from Stassi and Maldonado if he's hundreds of miles away in Charlotte. Hows the new catching coach going to help him?

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, Quin said:

Grifol is all about not holding vets accountable, but going in on young guys.

Poor Colson/Ramos/Fletcher/Colas/Sosa/Popeye are basically going to have massive targets on their backs in the clubhouse if the team fails.

Wonder where Grifol got that idea from 🤔 there is a carcass named TLR floating around this organization non stop…..

• Like 1

Can Moustakas play second? I'd rather have him there than Naperville's finest. I'm depressed about ss. DeJong bothers me. And catcher is one huge LOL. And I'd rather give 500 at bats in rf to Colas than the short guy we just aquired.

Edited by greg775
  • TLR 1

51 minutes ago, Snopek said:

So like, who even are the young guys expected to be on the roster that all these clubhouse leaders are supposed to have a positive influence on?

Now, you can have a good consortium on whether Lenyn Sosa can wear his hat cocked, or how Jordan Leasure jogs in from the bullpen.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Can Moustakas play second? I'd rather have him there than Naperville's finest. I'm depressed about ss. DeJong bothers me. And catcher is one huge LOL. And I'd rather give 500 at bats in rf to Colas than the short guy we just aquired.

Moustakas has played second.  Let's leave it at that.

DeJong will be fine defensively.  At the plate, well...

The catcher position has...lots of experience?

Fletcher will be the starting right fielder.  Colas will be in AAA.  And that's probably how it should be.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's been my point. How is Korey Lee going to get much from Stassi and Maldonado if he's hundreds of miles away in Charlotte. Hows the new catching coach going to help him?

Korey Lee would have never gotten the opportunity to learn from someone like Maldonado while last year though, right? Think of the upgrade over whoever the veteran catcher was in Lee's last organization of being around someone like Martin Maldonado. Being around Maldonado should fix everything with him, only a smart organization would think to bring in Maldonado to give Lee that opportunity.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

Trick question. Tony gets a discount on his AARP membership if gets more people to sign up.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Snopek said:

A priority for rebuilding teams should always be giving washed up veterans another chance to prove they can still play

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a GM say. He might have well of just said he's bringing TWTW.

But is he bringing more than his projected negative WAR should he get any playing time?

• Like 2
  • Paper Bag 1

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a GM say. He might have well of just said he's bringing TWTW.

But is he bringing more than his projected negative WAR should he get any playing time?

I want to thank Getzy for that quote. I had been on the fence about this signing and now realize it truly is a dumb idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 2

49 minutes ago, Snopek said:

A priority for rebuilding teams should always be giving washed up veterans another chance to prove they can still play

At least you could make a game out of Rick Hahn's word salad.

This is just fucking stupid.

Getz: "I don't think we can find space for you in camp, we're rebuilding, need to find time for playing young guys and have enough mentors."

Moustaksas' agent: "But he really wants to prove that he's still good at baseball."

Getz: "I do remember Moose being good at baseball when we were together in KC a decade ago. Well, if you say so!"

Jeremy Haber's computer, barely hanging onto life in the background, with Fangraphs open: "D̴̪͌ọ̶͘n̷͇̈'̴̼̀t̵̞̋ ̶͔͊d̸̝̀o̴̟̔ ̵̯͘i̸̱͒t̴͂͜!̴̘͒"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yet, somehow, I'm not exactly pleased with this development.

Getz is Mr. Glove guy.  There’s no way he’s a fan of Sheets.  And I can’t blame him either, with Sheets’ bat getting worse over the years.  If he can’t do either well, what good is he?  A pinch hitter that you pray jacks one out at the right time late in a game?  Very limited role and usefulness.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

I don't really understand the point of it all but when we are discussing who are the young players that are supposed to be influenced by this veteran group - it's the pitchers. We are going to have a fresh bullpen and a lot of tryouts. 

They may not be that young, but in terms of experience, clearly they see changing the culture to a bunch of motivated, bad veterans who can play defense is better than a bunch of unmotivated, bat veterans who were once good and also can't play defense.

Both are bad though, really need to emphasize that there is a lot of bad on this roster. Worse than 17 imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz is Mr. Glove guy.  There’s no way he’s a fan of Sheets.  And I can’t blame him either, with Sheets’ bat getting worse over the years.  If he can’t do either well, what good is he?  A pinch hitter that you pray jacks one out at the right time late in a game?  Very limited role and usefulness.

Rusty Staub he ain't.....or Jerry Hairston Sr. for us older Sox fans.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He knows nothing about the Dodgers so why not the Royals. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snopek said:

At some point this year, I would expect all of the following guys up: Montgomery, Ramos, Quero (perhaps late in the season), Nastrini, Eder, and ofcourse Fletcher will start with thr club.

Plus ofcourse whoever comes from the Cease trade.

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't really understand the point of it all but when we are discussing who are the young players that are supposed to be influenced by this veteran group - it's the pitchers. We are going to have a fresh bullpen and a lot of tryouts. 

They may not be that young, but in terms of experience, clearly they see changing the culture to a bunch of motivated, bad veterans who can play defense is better than a bunch of unmotivated, bat veterans who were once good and also can't play defense.

Both are bad though, really need to emphasize that there is a lot of bad on this roster. Worse than 17 imo.

From my sources, Getz is building a team in his own image

• Haha 1