Free Agents and Spending Teams Remaining

Less than three weeks from Opening Day. Three more players off the board, two Top 10 FAs remain available.

MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 FAs + Honorable Mentions Remaining

MLBTR 2024 FA Rank / Position Player Age / MLBTR Projected Contract / 2024 Fangraphs Projected fWAR

I didn't realize players who underwent the MLB Arbitration Process can be released after the award and their guaranteed pay is limited to the pro-rated portion of their contract.

If the Giants' J. D. Davis clears waivers, the Giants will not have to pay him the $6.9M he won at his hearing. If the team and player reach agreement prior to the hearing, the contract is guaranteed.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/giants-place-j-d-davis-on-waivers.html

6:42pm: As noted by Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area, the Giants would have the option to release Davis in the event that he clears waivers, while paying only a pro-rated portion of his contract as termination pay. The club would have this option due to the fact that salaries decided via arbitration such as Davis’s $6.9MM salary are not fully guaranteed under the current collective bargaining agreement. Had the Giants and Davis had avoided arbitration, his salary would have been fully guaranteed in the event of a release.

He has over 5 MLB years, so he can reject an assignment to the minor leagues, and will continue to be eligible for arbitration in future years until he reaches 6 years of service time. I'm guessing he become a free agent and has to negotiate a new contract, likely far less than $6.9M at this stage of Spring Training.

If I'm the MLBPA, I'm fighting to make arbitration awards guaranteed under the next CBA. Teams can release anyone days before the season and the player lost the right to explore FA when players were signed the first three plus months of free agency.

Also, multiple players including Alex Wood, Ross Stripling, Brandon Crawford and now J. D. Davis have called out the Giants this offseason for their lack of communication with players over the past few years. Also the fact they haven't won a single playoff series the past nine years (a wild card game win their only success) and don't even look to be in the playoffs this year or beyond.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/giants/article/giants-j-d-davis-placed-waivers-clears-18812766.php

When news of Chapman’s three-year, $54 million contract agreement hit last week, Davis expressed annoyance that Zaidi and the front office didn’t call to explain his status on the roster and referenced shortstop Brandon Crawford’s dismay over the lack of communication from the front office about his changing role when the team nearly signed Carlos Correa last offseason. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/athletics/article/alex-wood-happily-transitions-giants-swingman-18689196.php

“It was difficult,” Wood said, “because I started off the year pretty good and then on the turf in Miami, I pulled my hamstring, a super weird thing. When I came back four weeks later, it was like, ‘Hey can you throw an inning out of the bullpen against Arizona Friday, and we’ll start you on Monday in Philly? ’ It was from the beginning of the year we were doing stuff like that. It definitely wasn’t the easiest thing.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/09/09/sf-giants-ross-stripling-airs-grievances-over-usage-communication-im-just-in-limbo/

“As I’m walking outside (the stadium in Sacramento), I got a call from (pitching coach Andrew Bailey), Kap and (trainer Dave Groeschner). They just said, ‘Cobb’s pretty beat up. We think it’s best if you don’t throw today and come to San Diego,'” Stripling said. “I said, ‘I drove two hours here, can I throw an inning?'”

Stripling accompanied the team to Chicago, where again, he said, “the plan was to get activated.”

“I get to Chicago, and it’s, ‘Hey Strip, we’re not gonna activate you here,'” Stripling said. He threw a 45-pitch live session off the mound at Wrigley Field, “with no clarity really after that. … And I show up here yesterday and thought there was a good chance I’d get activated. I didn’t really hear anything from anybody. … From then I sought out information and found Farhan and Kapler and Bails and asked them, ‘What’s the plan here?’”...

“They may not like that that term is being used. It’s somewhere in the middle, right?” he said. “It’s bad luck of the timing that I’m healthy and Farhan likes the roster that he has. And I’m just sitting here healthy with nowhere to go.”

No new signings, but J. D. Davis has been waived and looks to be filing a grievance for the $5.8M the Giants are trying to screw him.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/giants-release-j-d-davis.html

Under the previous collective bargaining agreement, no arbitration deals were fully guaranteed unless specifically bargained as such. The new set of rules fully guarantees the deals of players who agree to terms absent a hearing — but allows teams to move on from players who go to a hearing without being responsible for the full freight of the contract. A player released more 16 or more days before the season opener is entitled to 30 days of his prorated salary, whereas a player released with fewer than 16 days before the opener is entitled to 45 days of his prorated salary. Again, however, that’s contingent on “failure to exhibit sufficient skill or competitive ability.” Davis’ representatives at ALIGND Sports and the MLBPA ostensibly have cause to file a grievance on his behalf, claiming that his termination is not reflective of his skill (or lack thereof).

Posted (edited)

Two updates.

1. J. D. Davis signed with Oakland yesterday for $2.5M, with an additional $1.0M available in incentives. Coupled with the $1.1M he is due from San Francisco, his net $3.6M is $3.3M, or nearly half, less than his $6.9M arbitration award. No word on a grievance filing to reclaim this difference.

2. Three additional players have signed since the March 9 update:

• Michael A. Taylor for $4M with Pittsburgh
  • Adam Duvall for $3M with Atlanta
  • Domingo German signed a minor league deal with Pittsburgh. He will earn $1.25M if he makes the Pirates roster, which kicks in a $2.5M 2025 Club Option. Additional Performance incentives are available in both seasons.

This leaves six unsigned Top 50 MLB Trade Rumors 2024 Free Agents unsigned, plus two players listed in their Honorable Mention section with less than two weeks to go to North American Opening Day. Two regular season games will be played in South Korea this week.

MLB Trade Rumors Top 50 FAs + Honorable Mentions Remaining at 2/22 - Updated through 3/16

MLBTR 2024 FA Rank / Position Player Age / MLBTR Projected Contract / 2024 Fangraphs Projected fWAR

Edited by South Side Hit Men
Moved German’s link adjacent to his name.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

According to Bob Tommy Pham may sign with SD for $3 million-&4 million. If it falls through, the Sox are interested. And Clevinger wants at least 2 years $20 million.

Lol ok Mike.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He’s not sniffing that kind of money.  Just take a look at SSHM’s list of projected salaries from MLB Trade Rumors and what these guys end up signing for.

I’ll use the list below to track the remaining players signed into the season: 

Players signed after Spring Training Games began on 2/22:

AAV contract estimates vs. Actual Guaranteed AAV Received

E Estimate R Received

Signed Players:

1. CHI NL 2/27 C. Bellinger E $22M R $20M
  2. SF 3/2 M. Chapman E $25M R $18M
  3. MIA 2/24 T. Anderson E $12M R $5M
  4. PIT 3/15 M. A. Taylor E $7M R $4M
  5. ATL 3/14 A. Duval E $8M R $3M
  6. DET 2/23 G. Urshela E $10M R $1.5M

Unsigned players: 

1. #4 B. Snell E $28.6M R TBD
  2. #6 J. Montgomery E $25M R TBD
  3. #20 J. D. Martinez E $20M R TBD
  4. #45 B. Belt E $15M R TBD
  5. #30 M. Clevinger E $13M R TBD
  6. #34 M. Lorenzen E $11M R TBD
  7. HM T. Pham E $8M R TBD
  8. NR Z. Greinke E $7M R TBD

Posted (edited)

Will update the tracker and AAV once the Snell deal becomes official.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/giants-to-sign-blake-snell.html

Snell will receive $32M for this season, $15M in 2024 and a $17M signing bonus payable January 2026. Snell also has a $30M player option for 2025. So he locks in $62M if he gets injured and needs surgery this season.

Setting that aside, the AAV is $31M for CBT purposes, compared to the initially estimated $28.6M over obviously a much longer period ($200M over 7 years vs. $62M over 2 years). 

Blake Snell will be 32 if he opts out before 2025, or 33 for his next free agent period barring an extension.

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Boras always wins.

Did he? Snell wanted 150 million+ and only got 62 million coming off a CY year. I'd say that's bad. Same can be said for Bellinger. He only got 80 mil when he was looking for at least twice that.

Edited by chw42

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Did he? Snell wanted 150 million+ and only got 62 million coming off a CY year. I'd say that's bad. Same can be said for Bellringer. He only got 80 mil when he was looking for at least twice that.

The draft pick screwed Snell but he still gets a guaranteed $62 million over the next two years whether he performs or not.  If he’s good, he can enter free agency again next year with no draft pick attached.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The draft pick screwed Snell but he still gets a guaranteed $62 million over the next two years whether he performs or not.  If he’s good, he can enter free agency again next year with no draft pick attached.

Didn’t he turn down 6/$150?

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No matter how good he pitches, I’m not sure he will get what he was looking for this year. He screwed himself.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Didn’t he turn down 6/$150?

That was to pitch for the Yankees, and maybe he just doesn’t want to go there which is perfectly understandable.

He will need $118M over five years, or a very possible if healthy $88M over four years in the future (one or more contracts) to lock in the same guaranteed money over time. Has possible upside with the Mets, Phillies, Padres, Dodgers, Yankees, Baltimore (if Angelos dies and hedge fund guy fully assumes ownership), or a few other teams, hell even the White Sox, if new ownership groups are involved in bidding over the next 1-5 years.

The MLBPA really needs to fight to strip the QO / Draft Penalty from FA, and also the voidable Arbitration Settled Contract and out of the next CBA.

After lavishing a record $3.9 billion on free agents in the winter of 2022-23, MLB teams pulled back this offseason as questions about the future of local television rights roiled the industry. More than one-third of the $2.9 billion in free agent spending this winter went to two players: a record $700 million for Shohei Ohtani -- $680 million of which is deferred for a decade -- and $325 million for Yoshinobu Yamamoto, both with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Two historic financial behemoths, the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, committed less than $50 million to free agents. Eight teams -- the Oakland Athletics, Baltimore Orioles, Washington Nationals, Tampa Bay Rays, Minnesota Twins, Miami Marlins, Cleveland Guardians and Colorado Rockies -- guaranteed less than $15 million.

Disillusionment among players, sources said, burbled in recent days after the Giants released veteran infielder J.D. Davis, who had beaten the team in an arbitration hearing for a $6.9 million salary. Because salaries won in arbitration cases are not guaranteed -- a long-standing rule that was not changed in the most recent labor negotiations -- the Giants were required to pay Davis only one-sixth of his salary ($1.15 million). He signed a one-year deal with Oakland for an additional $2.5 million.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39763512/sources-mlbpa-call-majority-players-ask-removal-bruce-meyer

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1