Grifol: DeJong, Lopez, Maldonado are good on offense

Quin

30 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I admire your optimism, you remind me of myself from back in the day.

I will remain optimistic until they start losing. I always try to maintain a positive outlook unlike others on this site. Its a new season I try to hope for the best. I really think this starting pitching could be good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I think you're going to be surprised how much  better this team will be this year. I realize I'm one of the few people who think they're going to be good.. I think we're in for an exciting year!!!!

How's that career as an "influencer" going? You really need better clients. lol

I think they will be less disappointing than last year. But that is mostly based on my expectations of record breaking losses. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I will remain optimistic until they start losing. I always try to maintain a positive outlook unlike others on this site. Its a new season I try to hope for the best. I really think this starting pitching could be good.

The captain of the Titanic was optimistic too..."But it's just a small iceberg! Nothing to worry about..." 😆

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Exactly, there’s no reason to rush him.

But you aren't 'rushing' him because the team is so bad. It's like the Royals last year with Witt. He had zero pressure because the games mean nothing when the team's that bad. Monty could hit .086. Big deal. Just get him 500 at bats ASAP. No pressure.

• TLR 1

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Witt, Jr., career MiLB plate appearances....744

Colson Montgomery......826

This would make more sense if the White Sox were going to spend in FA like the Royals did heading into this upcoming season.

Colson was also a three sport all star, holding his HS basketball record in scoring all time, plus the QB leading his team to Semi State.  He wasn’t a full time baseball player until 19 and was still a pretty raw talent when drafted,  very similar to Tim Anderson. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

But you aren't 'rushing' him because the team is so bad. It's like the Royals last year with Witt. He had zero pressure because the games mean nothing when the team's that bad. Monty could hit .086. Big deal. Just get him 500 at bats ASAP. No pressure.

It's not a matter of "no pressure."
The minor leagues should be looked at as a factory - not a warehouse.

On 3/3/2024 at 2:59 PM, WBWSF said:

Then you won’t be optimistic very long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JoeC said:

I get a kick out of baseball vs NBA and NHL. NBA plays 19 year olds; NFL has no minor league. Isn't monte old nuff to play?

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I get a kick out of baseball vs NBA and NHL. NBA plays 19 year olds; NFL has no minor league. Isn't monte old nuff to play?

Different sports. Gymnasts peak even earlier. Marathon runners peak later.

On 3/4/2024 at 9:35 AM, JoeC said:

I like this analogy. 

Like any factory decreasing production time increases profits. Getting raw material quicker from receiving to shipping is important. 

What I don't like about this analogy is if you believe a team should have MLB ready  depth, then it does function as a warehouse. 

18 hours ago, JoeC said:

Different sports. Gymnasts peak even earlier. Marathon runners peak later.

What do you think it is that makes baseball harder to master early?

26 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I think it's pitch recognition and zone control against MLB pitching that has a scouting report on you and will attack every weakness without mercy. You just don't get that in college ball or even really in the high minors. It's a unique sport with the batter and pitcher battle. Defensively there's probably a bunch of guys that could play at 18, but there's no way they can control the zone well enough to hit much more than 200/220/300.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

I like this analogy. 

Like any factory decreasing production time increases profits. Getting raw material quicker from receiving to shipping is important. 

What I don't like about this analogy is if you believe a team should have MLB ready  depth, then it does function as a warehouse. 

Depends on your view of manufacturing.

If you want to REALLY get into it, you'd say that at that point you should sell off your expensive, MLB-level assets and replace them with freshly-minted MiLB graduates from your "factory."

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Like what chitownsportsfan said, there's a lot of wisdom required in baseball in addition to pure athleticism. Not that other sports don't have the cerebral component, but these cerebral battles in baseball happen on such a controlled level that it's hard to get by on talent alone... that, and because it's so controlled, every little weakness is exploited.

The closest analogy I can think of in professional sports off the top of my head is an NHL goalie... and that's even a stretch. There's a really good reason that NHL goalies peak later compared to their position-player peers. They have to be mechanically damn near perfect, and none of the gazillion split-second decisions they make every game can show even a glimpse of those weaknesses. Drop your blocker hand a couple of extra inches when going down in the butterfly while moving toward your blocker side? Good luck eliminating that habit through every possible position shift. If it pops up in a game, NHL shooters pick up on that stuff and exploit your upper blocker corner and five-hole at will, the same way young MLB hitters and pitchers get exposed.

Make a guy go into a "sink or swim" situation too quickly, and he might figure out a way to swim, but he'll probably develop other bad habits / holes along the way in his game that'll just then get exploited later. By then, you're a physically more mature player, and those habits are just harder to break... and the next thing you know you end up as a filler for Steve Stone in the booth for a (should-be) last-place team by the time you're in your mid-30's.

• Like 1