FutureSox: Rankings Week Content

Y2Jimmy0

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

These two paragraphs couldn't be more contradictory.  I was hoping you had something like exit velocities or some video work you were doing to back up those absoluteist statements.  It really takes away from what you are saying when your methodology is so simplistic, yet all knowing.

The stament is referencing the entirety of the prospect and major league pool and then looking at the players 5'8" or shorter. The percentage that exist as a legit prospect or legit major leaguer is extremely small. 

You can also look at the players with those heights that have come from the DSL to stateside. Look at the hype some people had, *cough *cough, around Loidel Chapelli and Cesar Prieto. Both older and have much better prospect status and skills than Mogollon. Both dropped off cliffs stateside. 

It will also happen to a degree to Mogollon. Its just the nature of it all. 

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

These two paragraphs couldn't be more contradictory.  I was hoping you had something like exit velocities or some video work you were doing to back up those absoluteist statements.  It really takes away from what you are saying when your methodology is so simplistic, yet all knowing.

Pipeline noted he (Mogollon) had a max EV of 105 and Ben Badler wrote that he already had a knack for pulling balls hard and in the air. BA also said above average raw power and EVs for his age group. Hating on a short king for no reason other than that is silly.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Sox on 35th did a top 30 with "just missed". Do you guys give them much credibility? South Side Sox does that top 100 thing, but last year, they petered out in the high 30's, and I don't think they even posted the rest. 

There are many posters here with a much longer experience with these various sites, but I'll have to check out Sox on 35th. I never really followed prospects closely, but this is the first season I plan to dive in. I was too busy with life and work during prior rebuilds including the 2017-2019, though I went to a bunch of games in 2019 and really liked watching their younger players.

Baseball Prospectus and The Athletic were the two prior sites I paid for access, the former for Rotisserie Leagues I no longer play, the later for James Fegan's Sox coverage until they cut staff last year and I dropped it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

The stament is referencing the entirety of the prospect and major league pool and then looking at the players 5'8" or shorter. The percentage that exist as a legit prospect or legit major leaguer is extremely small. 

You can also look at the players with those heights that have come from the DSL to stateside. Look at the hype some people had, *cough *cough, around Loidel Chapelli and Cesar Prieto. Both older and have much better prospect status and skills than Mogollon. Both dropped off cliffs stateside. 

It will also happen to a degree to Mogollon. Its just the nature of it all. 

But you just admitted you haven't looked at the kid or his skills, well other than his height. 

• Like 1

So they are ranking him top 30 based on stats ALONE. He may be there i never said he wasn't. Just that Nunez is over Mogollon for me and almost every industry guy that I work with agrees with that. 

Edited by Polar Bear

Berroa still needs to improve his control, but he’s the favorite to emerge as Chicago’s closer. The 23-year-old posted a 36.6 K% in the minors last season, which would’ve ranked sixth among MLB relievers. Berroa also recorded a 2.88 FIP despite a 5.37 BB/9 rate, and the White Sox have no one who matches his arm talent in their bullpen.

Yahoo.com/sports

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

So they are ranking him top 30 based on stats ALONE. He may be there i never said he wasn't. Just that Nunez is over Mogollon for me and almost every industry guy that I work with agrees with that. 

We aren’t ranking him on stats alone. DSL guys are really difficult to rank though. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

On 3/6/2024 at 6:52 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

We aren’t ranking him on stats alone. DSL guys are really difficult to rank though. 

I think it is really hard to assess a bunch of the young guys, including Mogollon, Nunez,  and especially Wolkow.  Any one of those guys could rank high based on upside. I would understand someone putting Wolkow 8th, for instance. But there's no guarantee any of them make it to AA, let alone the majors. Truly at their ages, ranking prospects is more art than science.

8 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I think it is really hard to assess a bunch of the young guys, including Mogollon, Nunez,  and especially Wolkow.  Any one of those guys could rank high based on upside. I would understand someone putting Wolkow 8th, for instance. But there's no guarantee any of them make it to AA, let alone the majors. Truly at their ages, ranking prospects is more art than science.

There are some legit young guys in those buckets to where they are almost bonus points if they breakout.  Obviously they could be doing better, but it feels like we are getting a breakout or two a year from guys who weren't top signings, which is a big thing down there. Really be nice if we start seeing similar from all of the pitchers and catchers we keep bringing in from Latin America.

• Like 1