Garrett Crochet named Opening Day starter

49 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Throwing a baseball exerts the same strain on an arm regardless of whether one's throwing to AAA or MLB hitters. All throwing in the minors does is preserve an extra year of control. I know this is baby-think, but maybe making Crochet a starter on his request and giving him opening day buys some goodwill, and an extension for a couple of years. Guy's only 24. 

Or maybe they are just doing what the prior FO either a)Should have done in the first place; or b)Not draft him in the first round in the first place.

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Heaven forbid you allow for legitimate critique of an org that has a lengthy history of making dumb, backwards, and shortsighted moves. Anything that isn't 100% effusive gets that special all or nothing sycophantic hyperbole from you. It's tired.

Yeah, Crochet has looked fantastic this spring, in all of 9 innings. But let's just shove the only name fans will recognize into an opening day start when he hasn't started a game in the bigs... ever? I mean, nothing to question or critique there. Nothing could possibly go wrong. 1000% sound wisdom from JR's Yes-Man brain trust.

For f***'s Sake.

I'd be happy to entertain legitimate critique as soon as I read some. Yes, because all the bad trades, questionable PR decisions, that's why Garret Crochet will fail. That's probably the most logical part of your rant. 

You do understand that every single pitcher in MLB history never started a MLB game before their first one, right? But if you want your critique to be treated as legitimate, maybe don't be the 20th person to lazily ask, "what could go wrong?" Or call the entire organization "yes-men". That's tired, and lazy. 

Nothing that I listed, that you called tired, is inaccurate about the initial deluge of comments on the opening day start. I just find it weird that you glum guys get so angry about people actually being excited for the baseball season. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They spent six months tearing down the team and assuring 0 games will matter in 2024. Yet between the guys they brought in, their likely opening day roster, and this decision, they continue to operate as they did throughout 2023 as though any of these games matter beyond player evaluation and player development.

Getz built a 60ish win team. Operate accordingly.

I feel they should bring up prospects as they show they can succeed at their current level. Crochet is a major league pitcher. He's supposedly worked out and stretched out all winter for a starter's work load. If Crochet is in future plans, treat him as such. 

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Or maybe they are just doing what the prior FO either a)Should have done in the first place; or b)Not draft him in the first round in the first place.

Well, KW and Hahn are gone. It's pretty well agreed they did rush Madrigal, Fulmer, Vaughn, and Crochet. Now Getz has to work with what he was left. 

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I feel they should bring up prospects as they show they can succeed at their current level. Crochet is a major league pitcher. He's supposedly worked out and stretched out all winter for a starter's work load. If Crochet is in future plans, treat him as such. 

"Stretched out all winter"? That...makes no sense! Stretching out a starter typically takes years, to condition their arm to be ready for the workload. Did he throw 160 innings over the winter? If so, he probably should be shut down already.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'd be happy to entertain legitimate critique as soon as I read some. Yes, because all the bad trades, questionable PR decisions, that's why Garret Crochet will fail. That's probably the most logical part of your rant. 

You do understand that every single pitcher in MLB history never started a MLB game before their first one, right? But if you want your critique to be treated as legitimate, maybe don't be the 20th person to lazily ask, "what could go wrong?" Or call the entire organization "yes-men". That's tired, and lazy. 

Nothing that I listed, that you called tired, is inaccurate about the initial deluge of comments on the opening day start. I just find it weird that you glum guys get so angry about people actually being excited for the baseball season. 

Mr. Getz,

You should avoid spending most of your time on the job responding to internet criticism, which is what your predecessor obsessed about.

Also, players should be prepared and you know like actually played the position they are being asked to do for the first time before being thrown into the s%*# on Opening Day. Primarily because your bosses, Jerry and Brooks Boyer, are throwing a hissy fit because there are several thousand, perhaps over ten thousand, unsold tickets on opening day.

Smells like Vaughn in Left Field, rushing injured Liam to sell Memorial Day tickets, Dane Dunning / Garrett Crochet 2020 Game 3 all over again.

If Tony is calling the shots, blink twice. Otherwise, do better, before you are looked back upon as Rick Hahn 2.0.

Signed,

White Sox Fans

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

"Stretched out all winter"? That...makes no sense! Stretching out a starter typically takes years, to condition their arm to be ready for the workload. Did he throw 160 innings over the winter? If so, he probably should be shut down already.

I'll wait for you to post Crochet's workout regimen as he came back from TJS. He probably threw a baseball somewhere in there, wouldn't you say? Do you think it's possible that, as he rehabbed from TJS, he threw more as his goal was to be a starter? 

I'm sorry baseball is so hard to understand. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Smells like Vaughn in Left Field, rushing injured Liam to sell Memorial Day tickets, Dane Dunning / Garrett Crochet 2020 Game 3 all over again.

None of these were Getz's decisions. Look, Steve Stone, I know you wanted to be a GM at one point in your career, and that never happened. Maybe stop lashing out at actual fans who are excited for the upcoming season? Good luck on the coming season, and Hey! now!. 

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I'll wait for you to post Crochet's workout regimen as he came back from TJS. He probably threw a baseball somewhere in there, wouldn't you say? Do you think it's possible that, as he rehabbed from TJS, he threw more as his goal was to be a starter? 

I'm sorry baseball is so hard to understand. 

Yes. So a guy throws a baseball and therefore he is now stretched out to be a big league starter. No multi-year conditioning effort required! He stretched out in the offseason.

Frankly, ludicrous.

I'm as into turning him into a starter as anyone, and this is a super high risk way to do it. We know his arm isn't well conditioned as he has never thrown innings and you cannot do that magically, guys get hurt when they try that. We know that in the modern big leagues it is a max effort league, guys throw way harder than they did even 10 years ago. Taking no time to even build up his arm because he threw a baseball in the offseason...blah. Standard White Sox fare, pretend guys don't get hurt and act stunned when things go wrong with the plan, it's how Crochet was treated all along.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Well...this is the diametrical opposite of the SoxTalkers consensus of holding him down at Charlotte to claim back a year of control.

Not just claim back a year of control but actually build him up properly to be a starter like a responsible management would. If he lasts through May before breaking down I will be surprised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Not just claim back a year of control but actually build him up properly to be a starter like a responsible management would. If he lasts through May before breaking down I will be surprised.

Yeah I don't care one iota about Reinsdorf's pocket book or the extra year of control here. This is a risky strategy because it's risky to take a guy with arm problems and no history of building up innings and put him into max-stress innings against big leaguers when you should be trying to build his arm up.

If he gets hurt, people will just say "Oh he would have never made it as a starter", when the org just can't help themselves but find the high risk things to do on the way. Send the guy walking into a minefield and if he doesn't make it across its his fault.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes. So a guy throws a baseball and therefore he is now stretched out to be a big league starter. No multi-year conditioning effort required! He stretched out in the offseason.

Frankly, ludicrous.

I'm as into turning him into a starter as anyone, and this is a super high risk way to do it. We know his arm isn't well conditioned as he has never thrown innings and you cannot do that magically, guys get hurt when they try that. We know that in the modern big leagues it is a max effort league, guys throw way harder than they did even 10 years ago. Taking no time to even build up his arm because he threw a baseball in the offseason...blah. Standard White Sox fare, pretend guys don't get hurt and act stunned when things go wrong with the plan, it's how Crochet was treated all along.

You are not into turning him into a starter. By your own rules, he should have to pitch for years and years and years before he can start a major league game. So what are you saying? Maybe 4 years of starting in the minors should have him ready to stand in against major league hitters? He'll be out of the organization by then.

Opening day is just another baseball game. I understand, this is the internet, so you said something silly, and your brand requires you dig in and fight to the death, even the most inane arguments. 

He rehabbed last season, and in the off-season. You know that, right? You guys just keep ranting on about these Zeno's paradoxes. "He can't pitch until he's built up. He can't get built up because he'll get injured. But he must pitch to come back from injury. Why is baseball so hard?"

Did someone actually state that Crochet is ready for a starter’s workload this season?  The same guy who has thrown 73 total major league innings since 2020?  There’s no way the Sox were expecting 150-180 innings out of Crochet this year.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is a risky strategy because it's risky to take a guy with arm problems and no history of building up innings and put him into max-stress innings against big leaguers when you should be trying to build his arm up.

Starters don't come out and air it out from the first pitch. Relievers do. Perhaps you don't understand that starters "start" the game, thus the name. Relievers come in and "relieve" the starter. The more you argue, the more wrong you become. 

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This one is. 

And it's a great decision. I get it. It's a logical feel-good story that fans will like, and it will succeed, thus making fans happier with the team. And that would drive the glum-lords, here, nuts. Perhaps you can protest. 

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Did someone actually state that Crochet is ready for a starter’s workload this season?  The same guy who has thrown 73 total major league innings since 2020?  There’s no way the Sox were expecting 150-180 innings out of Crochet this year.

Dude has what, like 200 innings between college, minors, MLB last 7 years? I did the math last week but don’t remember.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And it's a great decision. I get it. It's a logical feel-good story that fans will like, and it will succeed, thus making fans happier with the team. And that would drive the glum-lords, here, nuts. Perhaps you can protest. 

And when he gets hurt again,  you won't blame the people who made the decisions. We've seen that before, with this pitcher.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

And when he gets hurt again,  you won't blame the people who made the decisions. We've seen that before, with this pitcher.

And hang on, kiddies, here's another right hand turn in this circular argument. Pitchers pitch. You say you are totally in favor of turning Crochet into a starting pitcher. But he can't be stretched out until he starts for years and years and years. 

Please tell us which month of 2026 you might let Crochet start a major league game. 

You're a silly person.