Lorenzen signs w/Rangers 1/$4.5 million

WestEddy

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

Maybe Lorenzen wanted nothing to do with our organization

And that's a thing I keep coming back to. You're bidding along side the Yankees and the World Champion Rangers. 3 offers on the table for $4.5 million. Where is Lorenzen going? How much more do the White Sox have to offer this guy to pick a 1-12 record, a manager on the hot seat, almost certain last place, and a roulette wheel spin of where he's going to wind up in 4 months?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And that's a thing I keep coming back to. You're bidding along side the Yankees and the World Champion Rangers. 3 offers on the table for $4.5 million. Where is Lorenzen going? How much more do the White Sox have to offer this guy to pick a 1-12 record, a manager on the hot seat, almost certain last place, and a roulette wheel spin of where he's going to wind up in 4 months?

The answer is that we don’t know.  It’s only for one year.  Perhaps he would take the extra $1.5 million guaranteed that @Bob Sacamano just suggested over playing for non-guaranteed incentives on a contender.  We also don’t know what the Sox were offering, or if they even made him a contract offer.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m not mad that they didn’t sign Lorenzen.  It’s just more about the awful strategy that Getz has carried over from Hahn in free agency.  Spreading out smaller increments of money to a bunch of mediocre veterans that will total a paltry WAR.  Burning $30 million combined for replacement level players, or worse, is yucky to watch.

This off-season looks nothing like anything Hahn has done. Dude's laid out a clear plan, and he's followed it. The guys you're singling out have a higher ceiling than you're letting on. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The answer is that we don’t know.  It’s only for one year.  Perhaps he would take the extra $1.5 million guaranteed that @Bob Sacamano just suggested over playing for non-guaranteed incentives on a contender.  We also don’t know what the Sox were offering, or if they even made him a contract offer.

I'd think a guy in his 30's who has already made $30 million in his career might want to take the certainty of being on one good team all season. 

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

This off-season looks nothing like anything Hahn has done. Dude's laid out a clear plan, and he's followed it. The guys you're singling out have a higher ceiling than you're letting on. 

His plan was to sign a bunch of veterans that are supposedly good leaders, may or may not still have their defensive chops, while none of them can hit a lick.  Laying out a plan and following it doesn’t mean much if the plan is not very good to begin with.

And the players I mentioned were Fedde, Lopez, Maldonado, Pillar, DeJong.  Not many people would use the phrase “higher ceiling” in the same sentence with any of these guys.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

His plan was to sign a bunch of veterans that are supposedly good leaders, may or may not still have their defensive chops, while none of them can hit a lick.  Laying out a plan and following it doesn’t mean much if the plan is not very good to begin with.

And the players I mentioned were Fedde, Lopez, Maldonado, Pillar, DeJong.  Not many people would use the phrase “higher ceiling” in the same sentence with any of these guys.

I think Fedde may have a ceiling.  the rest I agree........

One thing we do need to take into account is that Maldonado was brought here to work with the young pitching staff.  He maybe whatever he is at this point in his career but he has always been a leader with his pitchers.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Just a shitbag thing to say.  

I hope Garrett has a great year and proves everyone wrong.  He is one of the reasons I will watch this team this year

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Just a shitbag thing to say.  

It was obviously tongue in cheek humor, as Crochet hasn’t thrown anywhere close to starter innings since college, not even single game starter innings.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This one could make the Fedde signing look bad by the end of the season.

Waiting to hear the argument that Lorenzen wanted to pitch for a contender…

Fine, but Getz still gave Fedde 2-years and $15 million ($10.5 million more in guaranteed money than this signing) and he has had much less major league success than Lorenzen.

The Fedde signing is looking a hell of a lot better than $325 million for Yamamota. I know the Sox hit him really hard his ST game, and wasn't he rocked in other ST appearances. Then he got shelled like a peanut yesterday. I'm more than fine with $15 million for Fedde; it could be bust, but could end up being a steal. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

The Fedde signing is looking a hell of a lot better than $325 million for Yamamota. I know the Sox hit him really hard his ST game, and wasn't he rocked in other ST appearances. Then he got shelled like a peanut yesterday. I'm more than fine with $15 million for Fedde; it could be bust, but could end up being a steal. 

ST numbers don’t mean much but Fedde has pitched this spring about as well as he previously did in the majors for the Nationals — too many hits allowed and not enough strikeouts.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

9 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I have a feeling this post gets regular laugh reacts for the next two years.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have a feeling this post gets regular laugh reacts for the next two years.

If we were working in the same office and could put money down, I'd take that bet in a second. Will Yamamoto do better? Maybe. Probably. But not definitely. And I am extremely confident that he's not going to do $310 million dollars better. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

If we were working in the same office and could put money down, I'd take that bet in a second. Will Yamamoto do better? Maybe. Probably. But not definitely. And I am extremely confident that he's not going to do $310 million dollars better. 

Overreacting to spring training and one start is the classic Wild E Coyote set up for baseball fans.  The next frame is you opening the box that blows up in your face.

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Filtering for 200 PAs, Nicky Lopez ranked 6th among 2B on Fangraphs for 2023 defense. DeJong ranked 8th for shortstops. So, pretend all you want that these guys are washed up and can't pick it, that's just factually untrue. 

Getz replaced negative production with positive production at SS and 2B. RF couldn't get worse than it was last year, and the same with C. There was probably a guy or two who hit a little better and fielded a little worse than what they're getting, but he chose these guys' profiles based on character, etc. 

Everybody can make up a dream list of free agents they could sign. Who says those guys would play for the Sox this year? 

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Chris Young negotiated the Rangers’ TV deal?

Hey, if you get to pretend that solid defensive players can't play defense adequately, I get to pretend that Texas' GM got them into a bad TV deal. 

24 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Filtering for 200 PAs, Nicky Lopez ranked 6th among 2B on Fangraphs for 2023 defense. DeJong ranked 8th for shortstops. So, pretend all you want that these guys are washed up and can't pick it, that's just factually untrue. 

Getz replaced negative production with positive production at SS and 2B. RF couldn't get worse than it was last year, and the same with C. There was probably a guy or two who hit a little better and fielded a little worse than what they're getting, but he chose these guys' profiles based on character, etc. 

Everybody can make up a dream list of free agents they could sign. Who says those guys would play for the Sox this year? 

My “may or may not still have their defensive chops” comment was mostly tied to Maldonado who was not good defensively last year, which may be age-related and therefore not likely to improve.  I assume Lopez is still good defensively and both DeJong and Pillar are known for their gloves.  But in the end, I don’t think their gloves will make up for their terrible bats.

• Thanks 1

Burning $30 million combined for replacement level players, or worse, is yucky to watch.

I don't disagree, but really what were your expectations with the shape the roster and org as a whole were in? I was resigned to this season being a lost year and one big shrug emoji before the offseason even began. Basically a year to just cross days off the calendar.

The only truly important things this season are developing (and acquiring more) young talent. Oh, and getting Pedro fired. All of that can still happen, and will be way more interesting to follow throughout the year than anything involving the Pillars and DeJongs of the world.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

Speaking of Sox money, weren’t we expecting a signing since they just cut $8 million from the payroll by trading Cease, or is Jerry pocketing that cash?

I think we all know the answer to that one.

• Thanks 1