White Sox sign Robbie Grossman to minors deal w/ invite to ML camp

13 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Maybe Eloy is the RH part of that platoon until then. In which case, they're DHing Mendick/Stassi on days they're facing a LHP. Besides that, Wynton Bernard and Yoelki Cespedes are the highest ranking, right-handed hitting outfielders in the system. Bernard has hit in AAA for Colorado and Toronto, and Fangraphs seems to like him as a CF. 

I wonder if Getz will be watching for more OFs on the waiver wire. 

I'd probably throw Mendick out in RF before Eloy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As CinC of the “the Sox can’t develop anyone because their front office are idiots” club, I’d like to note that “this guy failed to develop because he didn’t get enough at bats in spring training” isnt a thing.

I was worried that having so many guys in camp would mean dumb moves like Pillar and Moustakas staying with the team would happen by default because of veteranyness.. Clearly this didn’t happen, so another minor correct decision here for Getz.

Between not having to pay a possible $4M to Mous and $3M to Pillar and $8M? to Cease that's $13-$15M+ The 2025 Cease salary w/e it was is off the books too. The Sox saved when JR made sure they weren't paid.

The Clevinger and  other pitcher who signed already for 4.5M were just distraction tweets. JR wouldn't pay them.

JRs fingerprints are all over these moves. Follow the money. No way JR wanted to risk losing $18-$20M and more if Cease got injured.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Between not having to pay a possible $4M to Mous and $3M to Pillar and $8M? to Cease that's $13-$15M+ The 2025 Cease salary w/e it was is off the books too. The Sox saved when JR made sure they weren't paid.

The Clevinger and  other pitcher who signed already for 4.5M were just distraction tweets. JR wouldn't pay them.

JRs fingerprints are all over these moves. Follow the money. No way JR wanted to risk losing $18-$20M and more if Cease got injured.

I complained enough about selling off Cease at a discount already, I will not complain about them avoiding paying Pillar and Moustakas $5 million or Clevinger anything. Those would be like Maldonado, bad signings and wasted money to make us feel Royal, it would do nothing to help the Sox in either the short or long term.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nrockway said:

I get the feeling that Grossman will see action pretty quick if Fletcher can't hit. If Fletcher, DeLoach, Colas figure out how to play baseball, then I don't care all that much about the Pilars or Phillips's of the world asking to be let out of their contract. Grossman seems better than most of the bums we signed to minor league deals in the outfield (Phillips, Ortega, Payton, etc.) and I bet would see major league time before the rest of them. I also wonder how likely these guys are to ask for a release because if a minor league deal with our Sox is the best they can do, they probably don't have a ton of options stateside. I imagine with Grossman, he was asking for a major league deal with actual money attached and didn't get it. And so the White Sox offer him the best opportunity to earn a major league role. In that sense, you're probably right that he asks for a release if he doesn't join the major league team early in the year. Although, if he doesn't get called up it probably means Fletcher or whoever is actually performing. Still, I don't see it as terrible to give the young outfielders some actual competition. Oscar is probably fuming, but maybe he should play better baseball if he doesn't want his boss to keep signing 30something scrubs at his position. 

Fletcher has hit everywhere he’s played so I think he will finish ST on a high note and will be our Rightfielder hopefully for now and the future.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

Am I the only 1 that still can’t get over how horribly the Oscar Colas situation has gone? In 1 calendar year we went from having a top 100 prospect who was too good to leave in the minors, to signing scraps late in spring to play over him. Was Colas that immature/unprofessional? Just seems like Getz and crew made it apparent that Colas was never going to get a shot at the RF job from the beginning.

And I’m not saying Colas has really earned anything, but with the state of this organization doesn’t it make sense to just give him a shot to bounce back? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Am I the only 1 that still can’t get over how horribly the Oscar Colas situation has gone? 

It should have been over the minute he publicly accused the Sox of treating him like a slave.

Hahn had no backbone, essentially gave-in and started his clock immediately last year,  instead of signing an inexpensive vet to bridge the gap, only for Oscar to live up to his name by being complete trash in every facet of the game.  People here thought Colas was then singled out by Grifol when the entire team stunk, but I think the issue dated back to the instagram post.

I wouldn't let him anywhere near the Charlotte clubhouse.  I understand you can't set the precedent that if you misbehave you get a fresh start but hopefully enough time has passed that you can discreetly move him without shining too much light on the situation.  

• TLR 1

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Am I the only 1 that still can’t get over how horribly the Oscar Colas situation has gone? In 1 calendar year we went from having a top 100 prospect who was too good to leave in the minors, to signing scraps late in spring to play over him. Was Colas that immature/unprofessional? Just seems like Getz and crew made it apparent that Colas was never going to get a shot at the RF job from the beginning.

And I’m not saying Colas has really earned anything, but with the state of this organization doesn’t it make sense to just give him a shot to bounce back? 

They absolutely should give him a chance to earn his spot back at some point. But I have no issue making him earn it. He was dreadful in 2023 and obviously didn’t earn any respect from the coaching staff or FO. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

It should have been over the minute he publicly accused the Sox of treating him like a slave.

Hahn had no backbone, essentially gave-in and started his clock immediately last year,  instead of signing an inexpensive vet to bridge the gap, only for Oscar to live up to his name by being complete trash in every facet of the game.  People here thought Colas was then singled out by Grifol when the entire team stunk, but I think the issue dated back to the instagram post.

I wouldn't let him anywhere near the Charlotte clubhouse.  I understand you can't set the precedent that if you misbehave you get a fresh start but hopefully enough time has passed that you can discreetly move him without shining too much light on the situation.  

There is no reason to move Colas right now. He could literally spend the next 2 seasons in Charlotte before the Sox HAVE to make a decision on him in ST 2026. He’s an extremely talented guy - let’s see what happens before just cutting him loose or trading him for pennies on the dollar. There are all sorts of personalities across baseball. To say Colas shouldn’t be allowed in the Charlotte clubhouse is pretty over the top imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I complained enough about selling off Cease at a discount already, I will not complain about them avoiding paying Pillar and Moustakas $5 million or Clevinger anything. Those would be like Maldonado, bad signings and wasted money to make us feel Royal, it would do nothing to help the Sox in either the short or long term.

The bulk of the money is the Cease contract. JR never take a risk of him pitching for another 3+ months. Don't u think the other GMs knew that when they made offers? It wasn't just his down year or metrics. When you put it in perspective  the return is a lot more logical. I'm 99 % sure it was Jerry's call.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Great point and very shady.  JR pocketing more cash on this season.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The bulk of the money is the Cease contract. JR never take a risk of him pitching for another 3+ months. Don't u think the other GMs knew that when they made offers? It wasn't just his down year or metrics. When you put it in perspective  the return is a lot more logical. I'm 99 % sure it was Jerry's call.

Cease’s money for 1/2 of the season is basically one Martin Maldonado.

• TLR 1

37 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Guessing you're not counting 2025 that a serious injury could also seriously hurt his value for the 2 year length of his contract.

No, that’s why I said 1/2 of a season, referring to 1/2 of a season.

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

No, that’s why I said 1/2 of a season, referring to 1/2 of a season.

Which was me wondering why you would only count half a season on a 2 year deal when I was talking about why Jerry wanted him traded before the season . It made no sense.

22 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Great point and very shady.  JR pocketing more cash on this season.

It's obvious JR wants to spend as little as possible when necessary. Really no reason to pay Pillar or Moustakas more when they could pay less for others players to perform on a level more or less equal to the numbers those guys would put up. Pillar's is back , he just had take  a cut in his hoped for salary.

We don't know how JR is thinking . He talked about competing as quickly as possible but he's clearly talking out of both sides of his mouth when his actions clearly indicate he's crying poor and making every attempt to avoid losses.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So I would assume that Grossman just takes Sheets spot in a couple weeks? 

Basically Fletcher/Grossman platoon with Pillar the 4th OF. 

Does it really matter ? I mean sure if the general board consensus is that Sheets should be gone at all costs .

If the object is to win games with the best, cheapest motley crew they can assemble while still attempting to not rush their motley crew of prospects it doesn't matter what they do. Everyone assumes Vaughn will keep getting chances to show he'll get better I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Sox think Sheets has made some kind of adjustment that may make him a better hitter against RHP than Vaughn. Maybe they send Sheets down and see if he smashes RHP in the minors better than he has in the past. They still need power from the left side.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Hopefully.  We don’t need to see Sheets in RF.

Grossman is pretty comparable to Sheets with the glove, if not even worse. Fangraphs gave him a lower rating (-12.2) than Sheets (-9.2), and Grossman played more LF than RF. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

Grossman is pretty comparable to Sheets with the glove, if not even worse. Fangraphs gave him a lower rating (-12.2) than Sheets (-9.2), and Grossman played more LF than RF. 

Wow, crazy.  Grossman is old and I didn’t think he was ever a good defender but being worse than Sheets is impressive.  With Pillar back, Sheets should just backup 1B and I guess he will DH against righties, even though he can’t hit.

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Wow, crazy.  Grossman is old and I didn’t think he was ever a good defender but being worse than Sheets is impressive.  With Pillar back, Sheets should just backup 1B and I guess he will DH against righties, even though he can’t hit.

Well, Grossman does kill lefty pitching. Sheets' platoon splits against RHP don't seem to make him valuable at anything. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

So the bench would be: Stassi, Mendick, Pillar, Grossman?

I think the speculation is Shewmake over Mendick. Shewmake's a lefty, and he's already on the 40-man. Grossman probably needs a week or so to get back into baseball shape. 

30 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

So the bench would be: Stassi, Mendick, Pillar, Grossman?

Sheets backs up 1B, though Colas can do so if he is called up.

Think they will open the season with C Stassi; DH 1B RF Sheets; RF CF LF Pillar & 2B SS 3B Shewmake, with Fletcher as primary RF platoon starter vs. RHP.

Think if Grossman is called up, it’s for Pillar, or Fletcher if he can’t hit RHP (shouldn’t start vs. LHP) and is sent down to Charlotte. Can release or demote if they accept Pillar or Grossman for Colas if that ever happens under this regime.

The final roster move I expect before OD is Drohan placed on the 60 Day IL and Leasure added to the active and 40 man.

Edited by South Side Hit Men