2024 MLB News not AL Central related

flavum

https://sports.yahoo.com/oneil-cruz-breaks-records-with-multiple-hits-over-120-mph-while-lifting-pirates-past-giants-in-extra-innings-025936264.html

O'Neil Cruz had the three hardest hit balls of the night (115 mph+)...2 out of 3 were the hardest hit baseballs of the season.

Giancarlo Stanton's 119.9 mph homer is the fifth-hardest home run in the Majors since Statcast began tracking in 2015. Stanton has three of the top five. Judge has one, too.

I see the Astros have called up Abreu. How come so many players are losing the ability to hit at age 37? It used to be guys could hit until 40 or so (Fisk and that generation).

19 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I see the Astros have called up Abreu. How come so many players are losing the ability to hit at age 37? It used to be guys could hit until 40 or so (Fisk and that generation).

Really?

Posted (edited)

Jorge Lopez has had himself a day. First, this temper tantrum:

He then was misquoted as saying that he's playing for "the worst team in the whole f-ing MLB":

And now, apparently, is set to be DFA'd as a result:

Edited by Autumn Dreamin

38 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

He then followed up postgame saying that he didn't regret it, and that he's playing for "the worst team in the whole f-ing MLB":

Pedro couldn't call him flat...

16 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

He then followed up postgame saying that he didn't regret it, and that he's playing for "the worst team in the whole f-ing MLB":

He definitely didn't say that and it's asinine that all these journalists are just repeating it like it's a fact. anyone with ears heard him say in his second language "I'm the worst teammate in the MLB". Oh but they 'confirmed it' because a report mumbled a follow-up question "did you say team or teammate?" "probably".

Lesson to Bryan Ramos that the Anglophone media is going to use your English-language skills against you. I'd just keep speaking in Spanish through a translator, personally. Thanks a lot, journalism.

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

He definitely didn't say that and it's asinine that all these journalists are just repeating it like it's a fact. anyone with ears heard him say in his second language "I'm the worst teammate in the MLB". Oh but they 'confirmed it' because a report mumbled a follow-up question "did you say team or teammate?" "probably".

Yeah, upon a closer listen to the full clip that's much more apparent.

3 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Yeah, upon a closer listen to the full clip that's much more apparent.

Some follow-up news is that his kid is apparently in and out of the hospital receiving transplants for a rare genetic disorder and it was the kid's birthday yesterday. I feel for the guy, frankly, it was dumb to throw his glove and be like "I don't care" afterward, but the Mets organization might also be understanding the context, particularly when he's a pretty good pitcher and their staff makes ours look like the 1998 Braves. 

Getz me thinking about David Stearns and Chris Getz, two guys at new jobs who are perceived very differently by baseball fans. Stearns is apparently a genius while Getz is unqualified and a crony. Seems to me that Stearns hasn't had a very good first year on the job, struck out on Counsell with no backup plan and has put together one of the worst teams in the sport at the low, low cost of 2.5 times the White Sox payroll. Most of his free agent signings have been a bust. Manaea and Severino have been pretty good, but it's amusing that Stearns thought it wise to pay them a combined $41mil and didn't seem to consider Fedde at 15 million. Stearns has many more tools to work with (unlimited money), but is he really doing a better job than Getz? Because the Metz seem like a disaster.

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Now their trade position becomes a little more desperate...something they wouldn't countenance in ST.

Well they can call for Erick Fedde. Not quite Dylan Cease level but that's on them for not going that extra mile. :lol:

Bear with me as I say NO PITCHERS are worth hefty contracts anymore. NONE of them.

Cease tonight goes 5 1/3 gives up three earned runs. Strikes out five, walks one. Big deal. These guys if they can only pitch 5 should be paid squat. They are just a dime a dozen folks. Now the old days, eight innings or 8 1/3? Yeah pay them.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Bear with me as I say NO PITCHERS are worth hefty contracts anymore. NONE of them.

Cease tonight goes 5 1/3 gives up three earned runs. Strikes out five, walks one. Big deal. These guys if they can only pitch 5 should be paid squat. They are just a dime a dozen folks. Now the old days, eight innings or 8 1/3? Yeah pay them.

Kept his team in the game.

That's what managers are looking for in this day and age.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Kept his team in the game.

That's what managers are looking for in this day and age.

My point though is anybody can do that. No need to pay an ace. Pedestrian numbers.

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 8:27 PM, caulfield12 said:

Liberal media is trying to brainwash you.  Read the quotes and interpret them as you would without looking at the title of the article.  And remember that she is a popular athlete as well.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Liberal media is trying to brainwash you.  Read the quotes and interpret them as you would without looking at the title of the article.  And remember that she is a popular athlete as well.

Par for the course. That's what they do.

On 5/31/2024 at 6:33 PM, DirtySox said:

Fedde for Beavers. Get it done.

Now you've done it.  All those Oriole fans will start posting here again.