2024 White Sox Opening Day thread 3/28 3:10 first pitch vs Detroit

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

I'm totally being measured. It's not really my job to make excuses for an offense that some are picking to be in the first place mix at the end of the season. And somehow, those excuses aren't applying to the Sox hitters today. I wonder why. 

I'm very happy with the way the pitching staff looked today. Kopech looks to be the weakest link. And that's good. 

He's also the ONLY pitcher returning from the Opening Day roster from one year ago...

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

Jay Cuda coming out of the long off-season with guns blazing, lol...

Looks like the Twins are suddenly even more vulnerable with Lewis (quad, the Eloy/Moncada of their team) and Kepler already injured, to go along with Duran and DeSclafini.

Really think it's going to be an interesting race with the AL Central winner closer to the 83-85 wins range.

Yes, this gets said nearly EVERY year, but the lack of spending/improvement (other than DET and KC on the margins) is quite remarkable across the entire division.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Watched the whole game today. Won't be making that mistake again soon. My lord,

Maldonado is really awful. His framing "skills" are the worst I've ever seen. He musta

flat out dropped 15 pitches. Carlos Perez we hardly knew ye.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, zisk said:

Watched the whole game today. Won't be making that mistake again soon. My lord,

Maldonado is really awful. His framing "skills" are the worst I've ever seen. He musta

flat out dropped 15 pitches. Carlos Perez we hardly knew ye.

Meanwhile, Stone was calling him a wizard behind the plate today.  Goodness, who knew that age catches up with baseball players, and especially catchers?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Meanwhile, Stone was calling him a wizard behind the plate today.  Goodness, who knew that age catches up with baseball players, and especially catchers?

I really hope Korey Lee gets the Saturday start. He probably won't until Sunday. Maybe Maldonado will get an enlarged prostate, and have to take the elderly facility's PACE van to the hospital for a CT Scan on Saturday. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I really hope Korey Lee gets the Saturday start. He probably won't until Sunday. Maybe Maldonado will get an enlarged prostate, and have to take the elderly facility's PACE van to the hospital for a CT Scan on Saturday. 

prostatitis is a real silent killer. You know how much it sucks to piss every 90 minutes and just tinkle it in?

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

prostatitis is a real silent killer. You know how much it sucks to piss every 90 minutes and just tinkle it in?

Not yet, but I'm sure I'm getting there. Fiber doesn't help, right?

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Maybe you can teach them. Why are you holding back?

They’re bad.  You know it too.  No amount of jokes is going to change that the bottom of our order will be DFA fodder by the start of summer.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Not yet, but I'm sure I'm getting there. Fiber doesn't help, right?

It sneaks up on you. At 35 I never noticed anything, at 40 yea, pissing every 90 minutes in the morning after coffee and certain days it's just like every 90 minutes all day. I've done a lot of research on it and there's not much accepted science on it. Some people think it's related to emotional issues in middle aged men, so as regular posters on a baseball forum we're all predisposed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It sneaks up on you. At 35 I never noticed anything, at 40 yea, pissing every 90 minutes in the morning after coffee and certain days it's just like every 90 minutes all day. I've done a lot of research on it and there's not much accepted science on it. Some people think it's related to emotional issues in middle aged men, so as regular posters on a baseball forum we're all predisposed. 

I drink a lot of water, and right before bed.  I noticed I could sleep through the night regardless when I was younger but now I wake up to pee like a racehorse 2-3 times in the early morning if I drink too much water right before bed in my older age.  I guess it’s good that I’m not just tinkling it out slowly.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm just happy that I figured out that if I'm dreaming that I'm inappropriately urinating in a clothes rack in a department store, or in somebody's kitchen, pulling bowls out of the cupboard to whiz in, WAKE THE f*** UP!!!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

They’re bad.  You know it too.  No amount of jokes is going to change that the bottom of our order will be DFA fodder by the start of summer.

Maybe Maldonado accepts being a coach, and maybe they decide they can deal with the diminished defense during LHP starts, and Grossman's in the OF. DeJong will be here until Monty wrests the position away. 

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Maybe Maldonado accepts being a coach, and maybe they decide they can deal with the diminished defense during LHP starts, and Grossman's in the OF. DeJong will be here until Monty wrests the position away. 

Great ideas to be honest.  From your post to Grifol’s stupid ears.

How sad is it that we are talking about a 34 year old Robbie Grossman being an upgrade to our lineup?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yes, this is going to happen a lot with this garbage lineup.  The guys we are banking on being good haven’t shown any consistency other than Robert and the bottom half of the starting lineup is composed of guys who are bad bench players at best.

What is known is the bottom three in the lineup are historically bad. There's no stud in the lineup except Robert. Moncada, Robert, Eloy and Vaughn will probably have nights the four of them rake. We 'should' win many of those games maybe if the bullpen doesn't implode those nights. This team has no power at all and the most of the hitters won't make any opposing pitcher sweat especially the last 3 guys in the order. You can't strike out as many times as this lineup will and walk so few times and homer so few times and win games. I'll stick with this season being historically bad.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Jay Cuda coming out of the long off-season with guns blazing, lol...

Looks like the Twins are suddenly even more vulnerable with Lewis (quad, the Eloy/Moncada of their team) and Kepler already injured, to go along with Duran and DeSclafini.

Really think it's going to be an interesting race with the AL Central winner closer to the 83-85 wins range.

Yes, this gets said nearly EVERY year, but the lack of spending/improvement (other than DET and KC on the margins) is quite remarkable across the entire division.

It’s the second place team’s record that the “playoff/division winner” must exceed that is interesting to me.

Guessed the first place team would just need 79 wins at year end to clinch the AL Central (all four teams below them would finish with 78 or less wins), which happened as Detroit did finish with 78 wins.

Think the winner needs 80 plus wins this year, with second place 79 or less. Believe first will finish over .500, but they won’t necessarily need to do so with the other four teams finishing with 79 or less wins at year end.

So the division got tougher by a game this season, IMO.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

What is known is the bottom three in the lineup are historically bad. There's no stud in the lineup except Robert. Moncada, Robert, Eloy and Vaughn will probably have nights the four of them rake. We 'should' win many of those games maybe if the bullpen doesn't implode those nights. This team has no power at all and the most of the hitters won't make any opposing pitcher sweat especially the last 3 guys in the order. You can't strike out as many times as this lineup will and walk so few times and homer so few times and win games. I'll stick with this season being historically bad.

Bottom four for sure.  Possibly bottom five if Andrew Vaughn doesn’t turn into anything better than a .735 OPS first baseman.

52 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Time to honor the King of All Grinders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Jake Burger went 3-for-4 with three RBI on Thursday in the Marlins’ Opening Day loss to the Pirates.

Figures.

Look at the bright side. The Burger trade likely got two guys fired.