2024 Old Sock Drawer

Quin

2 minutes ago, soulfly said:

At least that made it exciting.  Instead of Jason being like "Woooowwieee a Home run", 17 seconds after it obliterated a hole in the scoreboard. 

"stretch, stretch, stretch, get on back there...[5 seconds of dead air] it won't, and this ballgame is ovah".

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

"stretch, stretch, stretch, get on back there...[5 seconds of dead air] it won't, and this ballgame is ovah".

"You know Stone Pony, Yaz would have hit that one to the moon"

• Haha 1

Smash Burgers may become a favorite food for Miami Marlins fans, a meal popularized by an emerging star whose parents talked him out of quitting baseball five years ago. Jake Burger hit a three-run homer on his 28th birthday, propelling the Marlins over the New York Yankees 5-2 for just their second win this season. He leads Miami with three homers and 15 RBIs, reviving a career that was interrupted for nearly four years because of a foot injury and the coronavirus pandemic.

http://www.google.com.hk/search?q=smash+burgers+jake+marlins&sca_esv=d422ceb1a630167d&sca_upv=1&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW4JLgv7mFAxVKE1kFHSNkDsMQ_AUIBygC&biw=363&bih=653#imgrc=9cdEaN-eMEFfcM

Burger said a turning point was a 2019 conversation with his mom, Shannon, at a Which Wich in St. Louis followed by a heart-to-heart at home in suburban Chesterfield, Missouri, with his dad, Mike.

“Fortunately, my parents had a more level head than I did and ended up talking me out of it, saying, `Don’t regret anything in life and if you quit, you’re going to regret it,'" Burger said. "And so I’m thankful for them. They’re a major part of the story and major part of me being where I’m at today.”

Obtained from the Chicago White Sox last summer, Burger is among the few bright spots on a team that is a major league-worst 2-11.

Burger already had a memorable game this year. He homered twice off Lance Lynn last Thursday during his first big league appearance in his hometown of St. Louis, where growing up he went to about 20 games annually dating to old Busch Stadium. He sat below the new ballpark's Big Mac Land in left field with Little League buddy Kyle Kinner and watched the Cardinals rally in the ninth, 10th and 11th innings to beat Texas in Game 6 of the 2011 World Series en route to the title.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/smash-burger-5-years-nearly-040903989.html

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Quin said:

In his second game for the Phillies AAA team, Popeye walked 3 times, stole a base and hit a homer.

The third game he got 3 hits and stole another base.

Sox received: Cash

No room for him on this amazing roster.  Getz couldn’t cut anyone for him.  I’d rather watch Nicky Lopez and Shewmake play 2B in this lost season.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

10 hours ago, Quin said:

In his second game for the Phillies AAA team, Popeye walked 3 times, stole a base and hit a homer.

The third game he got 3 hits and stole another base.

Sox received: Cash

Yeah but the Sox can now put that sweet cash towards an international signing and who knows, maybe they find themselves a Jose Rodriguez type caliber prospect.

On 4/11/2024 at 7:08 AM, Quin said:

I don't envy Padres fans having to deal with Sports Guy visiting their board 

Is Joey Ortiz an old sock? The sock that never was? Well He looks pretty good. Will he sustain .928 OPS? Probably not but I thought he couldn't hit. 

5 hours ago, nrockway said:

Is Joey Ortiz an old sock? The sock that never was? Well He looks pretty good. Will he sustain .928 OPS? Probably not but I thought he couldn't hit. 

Hall has a 5ish ERA, 2ish WHIP and Burnes might be the best pitcher in baseball out of the gate.  We can revisit this in June/July and see where things stand.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Cease’s fastball has recovered this year. Lots of 98 tonight 

Well, that was one of the least surprising occurrences of the entire off/season.

The bigger question is do the Padres hold him or trade him at the deadline...not sure they can afford another $100+ million extension with Musgrove still on the books.

Pretty sure this is Darvish's last contraact year, but could be wrong on that.https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-diego-padres/yu-darvish-8680/

Nope, WAY wrong...so it's going to be a really interesting decision based on where they are in the NL standings in late July.