Moncada out 3-6 months, Colás recalled

7 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

if it was the S&C staff,why is it just these 3 guys getting the same injuries multiple times a year.  its the players in this case.  the trainers cant force these 3 guys to do the proper stretches. 

@ptatc

That's just it.  It isn't the same three players getting hurt every year.  It is more than that.  But we only talk about three of them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Also, I blame myself for wondering if Shaw will pitch more games than Eloy + Yoan will play (combined) this year.

Link: 

Shaw gave them a good head start, but, wily veteran he is, he’s only to 10 games to make up (14 vs. 4). Could be caught up by the end of April, realistically.

Too bad the Sox hadn't moved from him and a lot of guys on 2 years ago. Should be able to recognize lame horses. A good organization would have identified lost causes, found ways to clean house, and had options. But key being, "good oreganization". As soon as I heard covid being bandied about as an excuse, it seemed clear the Sox have poisoned the fanbase with a lack of inertia

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Sorry to see Yoan go down for so long.

RE: training for athletics vs. aesthetics… there was some article / video I saw a few years ago where they pitted power lifters and bodybuilders against I believe the NFL combine.

It was either in the first or second 40-yard sprint that the first bodybuilder went down.

What it came down to, broadly speaking, was the lack of training of your nervous system that occurs when doing athletic activities. If you’re just training for aesthetics, you’re frequently isolating muscles, rather than chaining together complex movements. By NOT training your muscles to work together (like in olympic power lifting, sprinting, etc.), you’re opening yourself up for having your muscles misfiring / mis-timing their movements, which can exacerbate your injury outlook, especially when you don’t give your muscles an nerves a chance to warm up.

This is why you see more dynamic stretching and warm-ups taking place (the days of static stretching being standard “warm-up” are long gone), and this is why you see stationary bikes on NFL sidelines. You want to activate the muscle chains and neural paths along the muscle groups, and you want to keep them warm and activated so that they don’t crumple like a pile of bricks 10 steps down the field.

I’ll let our resident expert @ptatc fact check me here, but the above is my understanding and working theory of “common” practices these days.

This is accurate especially with the warm-ups. Research shows that one of the most sure ways to injure a muscle is to do passive stretching.  Hence the dynamic warm-ups you described.

I don't think any of these issues is related to the in season activities. It's all about what type of training they are doing in the off season. Similar to what you described. What are you training for, strength is great but there needs to be functionality. A basic principle od training is SAID, Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands. If you don't train for explosive running out of the box, your body won't be able to handle it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

if it was the S&C staff,why is it just these 3 guys getting the same injuries multiple times a year.  its the players in this case.  the trainers cant force these 3 guys to do the proper stretches. 

@ptatc

Not stretching, off season training is the issue, I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yoan is gonna get the $5 million dollar buy out. but Ryan McGuffey said this and I agree with him. He said unless Moncada can shows that he can stay injury free and stay on the field, the best that Moncada is going to get next year is a sub-million dollar minor league contract loaded with incentives. 

And I think he will never earn any of those incentives and be out of baseball in a few years. 

He was the No. 1 prospect in all of baseball when the Sox traded for him. He was the Jackson Holiday of 2016. 

And can we stop blaming Grifol or the training staff or anyone or anything else for the injuries. This is the player that he is, just like Eloy. 

Do you really believe that if Grifol and the training staff would have held him out for a few days to rest whatever, that he would have been hurt a week later or two weeks later? Of course not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I don't understand how these injure lists work. If he's going to be out potentially the entire season why is he being put on the 10 day list? 

You can't be moved to the 60-day unless you have a full 40-man, and you're trying to add somebody to the roster. They could put Yoan on the 60-day if they were going to add somebody who isn't in the 40-man, like Mendick or whatnot. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's just it.  It isn't the same three players getting hurt every year.  It is more than that.  But we only talk about three of them.

What other position players would you add to the always getting hurt list? TA and Grandal seem to come to to mind as well. Maybe Burger but most of his injuries happened when he was still a young pup in the minors. 

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

And can we stop blaming Grifol or the training staff or anyone or anything else for the injuries. This is the player that he is, just like Eloy. 

Do you really believe that if Grifol and the training staff would have held him out for a few days to rest whatever, that he would have been hurt a week later or two weeks later? Of course not. 

Who knows,  all we know is he had an injury to it…and by pushing it, he completely tore it

• Thanks 1

Just now, LittleHurtCG said:

What other position players would you add to the always getting hurt list? TA and Grandal seem to come to to mind as well. Maybe Burger but most of his injuries happened when he was still a young pup in the minors. 

Just so happens it was the three strongest guys on the team

5 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Why can't it be a combination of both of these things? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

He'd still be trying to hit his way out of AA. But I suppose we could indulge ourselves for another year while Yoan hits the 60-day. 

Why, because you are sure DeJong and Lopez are better and there’s definitely a reason to play vets on one year deals in a lost season?

12 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Fans always blame coaches, manager, training staff when they have got place to go. Like Zack Mayo.

19 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Yoan is gonna get the $5 million dollar buy out. but Ryan McGuffey said this and I agree with him. He said unless Moncada can shows that he can stay injury free and stay on the field, the best that Moncada is going to get next year is a sub-million dollar minor league contract loaded with incentives. 

And I think he will never earn any of those incentives and be out of baseball in a few years. 

He was the No. 1 prospect in all of baseball when the Sox traded for him. He was the Jackson Holiday of 2016. 

You absolutely do that traded 10/10 times. However, in hindsight, I would have preferred to watch Sale dominate for those 3 seasons we had him under control 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You absolutely do that traded 10/10 times. However, in hindsight, I would have preferred to watch Sale dominate for those 3 seasons we had him under control 🤷‍♂️

Turned out to be a pretty shitty trade for the Sox now 7 and a half years later. Kopech and Moncada both turned out to be epic busts. Sale was injured a lot in Boston but helped them win a championship and flags fly forever. 

• Like 1

Just now, LittleHurtCG said:

Turned out to be a pretty shitty trade for the Sox now 7 and a half years later. Kopech and Moncada both turned out to be epic busts. Sale was injured a lot in Boston but helped them win a championship and flags fly forever. 

Yeah, but we also got a lot of empty promises and seats at many tables for Hahn, so isn’t it a win-win?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I don't understand how these injure lists work. If he's going to be out potentially the entire season why is he being put on the 10 day list? 

I always wondered too but WestEddy gave a good explanation below.

That said, when they added a real 5th SP, they’ll transfer him then, unless their 5th SP is Shuster, which it might be.

• Like 1