Moncada out 3-6 months, Colás recalled

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ve thought of that joke also.  With that said, good thing Popeye isn’t still around.

He'd still be trying to hit his way out of AA. But I suppose we could indulge ourselves for another year while Yoan hits the 60-day. 

1 minute ago, Paulie4Pres said:

What?

This is how grifol talks, imo. He tries to say a sentence, rhetorically defines it, and then we're off to the races. I'll continue to work it, I appreciate the feedback.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I wonder who made the decision for Yoan to not get an off day, or a brief IL stint. I'm not really in the "everybody should be fired" mindset, but you could tell he was hurt in the game before. 

Oh no, absolutely everybody should be fired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's because baseball is a stop start sport and often involves going from zero to 60mph as hard as you can half a dozen times a game. This isn't exactly a new phenomenon. It's not exactly like Moncada is unique in suffering an injury related to sprinting in baseball.

Kevin Hart just tried to have a foot race with a retired RB a couple months ago, tore his abductor muscle, and wound up in a wheel chair. I contend these guys are such specimens their bodies can't support what their muscles can do. 

1 minute ago, Quin said:

A new GM might have cleared house of the training staff, but c'est la vie.

what the heck how would they have fired them before 2 years of evaluation?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

what the heck how would they have fired them before 2 years of evaluation?

Nothing to evaluate.  The trainers aren't the problem, it is the Latin players who are lazy.  At least that is the story that keeps sliding into the wannabe medias DMs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nothing to evaluate.  The trainers aren't the problem, it is the Latin players who are lazy.  At least that is the story that keeps sliding into the wannabe medias DMs.

Too busy shooting music videos from like, 5 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Too busy shooting music videos from like, 5 years ago.

honestly though I think their workouts are geared for aesthetics and not function.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Don’t forget Hawk blaming the agents

Wish him well in his next stop. Won't miss him at all.

Garfien in his podcast that dropped Monday was saying that he noticed Moncada did something in spring training. 

On the post game last night he was asking Ozzie who he thought was to blame for the constant injuries and Ozzie said the players because instead of baseball workouts they are working out to "look good."

Regarding the issues with the medical/training staff this is what I was told by sources in November 2022:

On the constant injuries

“Alan Thomas (Author’s Note: Thomas was the Director of Strength and Conditioning) was let go because his son was draft eligible and he was told the Sox no longer wanted to draft sons of members of the organization. Turns out his kid is playing center field for the Diamondbacks. I’m not saying he’d be playing center field for us but he’s good enough to be in the Major Leagues. I don’t know the new guy they brought in, but guys are getting hurt left and right.” (Author’s Note: I had heard Thomas disagreed with the results of the Sox injury study conducted last winter which was never released to the media or public. I was told he felt the Sox issues were only caused by the COVID restrictions. “The Sox play checkers where others teams play chess” when it comes to injury prevention, conditioning, nutrition, sleep schedules is a phrase I had heard mentioned.)

“The White Sox playing shorthanded started in 2007 when Jermaine Dye got hurt and Kenny Williams refused to call up Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney. Maybe they were cheap, maybe they wanted to protect Herm’s record of keeping guys off the DL.” (Author’s Note: Herm Schneider was the Sox longtime head trainer and for years the Sox were among the league leaders in keeping players healthy.) 

“Jake Peavy made the comment one time, ‘They have no reservations about playing shorthanded.”

“You know about Mike Reinold right? (Author’s Note: Reinold is the White Sox Senior Medical Advisor) He was fired by the Red Sox because he was injecting players with Toradol.” (Author’s Note: Bleacher Report had a story on this situation published in February 2013. Here is the link to that story: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1530943-ex-red-sox-trainer-mike-reinold-injected-players-with-controversial-substance) 

“Given the inordinate amount of soft-tissue injuries they have had you’d think that they would do a complete change in the training, conditioning and nutritional areas.”

Bottom line as SS5K keeps saying this organization needs to be blown up from top to bottom and start over.

• Like 3

Sucks for Yoan.  He started off pretty decent, and I had the slightest glimmer of hope that he'd have a good first half and he could be dealt.  I am, however, not surprised at all that he went down with a significant injury.  I will be glad to not see him in a Sox jersey again.

What is truly mind-boggling is the number of times a Sox player goes on the IL for non-contact running injuries.  Someone is not doing their job.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

What pray tell did we do to the baseball GOds to get all this done to us?

Having Reinsdorf as owner. The baseball gods were nice to let the 2005 team magically come together  because everything else during Reinsdorf’s tenure as owner shows that was a total fluke.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's because baseball is a stop start sport and often involves going from zero to 60mph as hard as you can half a dozen times a game. This isn't exactly a new phenomenon. It's not exactly like Moncada is unique in suffering an injury related to sprinting in baseball.

Baseball may be a stop start game but other sports require sudden intense bursts when sprinting, the fact that the White Sox have lost 3 players in 2 weeks doing this suggests poor warm up and conditioning, which is either due to bad training by the coaches or the individuals or both. The fact that all 3 of these players have a history of muscle injuries suggests they are at least partly to blame.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I mean yes, this to. Dude exacerbated the injury by running in a straight line. 

Alright anyway I can't help it, meathead mode:

football players: get hit by 260 lb men going 20 mph, get ankle ripped off, back in 2 weeks.

Basketball players: sharp cuts, sudden acceleration, constant jumping and contact with 200-260lb giants. 

Baseball players: have to run in a straight line 4 times a day. Body falls apart and die.

I don't think this too meatyballer only because I think the same thing. Football players build strength and lift a lot of weights make hard cuts, slow down, speed up, spin,contort , have huge men hanging on them and they keep running and yes they too will get hurt , twist an ankle, blow out a knee, pull a hammy etc., but they are dragging extra weight , getting slammed into from all angles, playing in rain sleet and snow in colder conditions than baseball and yet our guys cant run a straight line and step on a base and make a turn without damaging themselves.

I do have a hard time blaming the training staff .  I mean if the manager asks the player are you good enough to go and the player says yes, you play him or you could say look we suck with or without you and you have a contract year coming up. We don't want you to get hurt worse so lets IL you until u feel 100% . No one however is MAKING them play as @fathom said. That's meatball even if you try to back it up by saying you've heard bad things about the training staff in the majors and minors. Share it ahead of time, not after the fact. Protect your source and just say what you heard . Innuendo and hearsay isnt good.

However I will also say that you have investments to protect and Yoan is an investment even if a long shot to get something at the deadline. Getz  or someone has to be on top of it and tell the manager it's not the end all be all to play Yoan, Eloy and Robert if they have ouchies. Those were the guys you had to really try to protect .Goals of playing X amount of games are silly. Play when you're healthy so you can have a better chance of staying healthy.

• Like 3

I understand that losing Robert, Eloy, and Moncada makes them significantly worse.

I also understand that they were going to be absolutely pitiful even with those guys playing.

I also ALSO understand that we are going to hear a lot about how their lack of success was due to injuries, which is extra comical because like, THE INJURIES ARE YOUR FAULT!