Moncada out 3-6 months, Colás recalled

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

honestly though I think their workouts are geared for aesthetics and not function.

I agree and Robbie Cano admitted as much in a big interview he did when he came to Seattle that will always ring out in my mind. The trainers down in the Dominican especially are not who these guys should be listening to. It took Cano until he was in his early 30s to get a baseball and injury prevention specific program not just a weights program.

Lifting heavy is great, you need explosive power to do explosive things, but you also have to train holistically and you can over train one area while under training another and that will lead to injury.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Wish him well in his next stop. Won't miss him at all.

Garfien in his podcast that dropped Monday was saying that he noticed Moncada did something in spring training. 

On the post game last night he was asking Ozzie who he thought was to blame for the constant injuries and Ozzie said the players because instead of baseball workouts they are working out to "look good."

I mean, in that case, trainer needs to step in.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I agree and Robbie Cano admitted as much in a big interview he did when he came to Seattle that will always ring out in my mind. The trainers down in the Dominican especially are not who these guys should be listening to. It took Cano until he was in his early 30s to get a baseball and injury prevention specific program not just a weights program.

Lifting heavy is great, you need explosive power to do explosive things, but you also have to train holistically and you can over train one area while under training another and that will lead to injury.

And that other thing

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Here's the way I see it:

- One player has repeated soft tissue, no contact injuries: It's a them problem.

- Multiple players: The training staff is s%*#

It always bothered me to see them use the leg bands during warm-ups and the dragging of the trainer in the harness as if he was on a sled instead of grass. Couldn't be good for you IMO, and I never saw other teams use the same equipment in their pre-game warmups.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

This could very well mean we've seen the last of Moncada as a member of the White Sox.

Holy crap. He must have a grade 3 tear. The particular muscle here is a big issue. If it's the adductor magnus or one of the bigger ones, he should heal fine but could be a long term issue. Similar to Robert and the hip flexor.

However if it's the adductor longus, a muscle that is long a relatively thin, that may not heal well at all. He will still have good function but could decrease the strength and change lateral movement. Could be really significant for a 3B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

58 minutes ago, fathom said:

Don’t forget Hawk blaming the agents

There is something to be said for this in a contract year. They will push it more than a player with a guaranteed contract.

2 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

honestly,what does moncadas 2025 contract look like?

1y / 4m?

He'll go to the Dodgers for around that, they'll trade Muncy so they can improve the infield defense (cut a little bit of payroll) and hit him like 8th, and he'll have a big year. Watch.

Sorry to see Yoan go down for so long.

RE: training for athletics vs. aesthetics… there was some article / video I saw a few years ago where they pitted power lifters and bodybuilders against I believe the NFL combine.

It was either in the first or second 40-yard sprint that the first bodybuilder went down.

What it came down to, broadly speaking, was the lack of training of your nervous system that occurs when doing athletic activities. If you’re just training for aesthetics, you’re frequently isolating muscles, rather than chaining together complex movements. By NOT training your muscles to work together (like in olympic power lifting, sprinting, etc.), you’re opening yourself up for having your muscles misfiring / mis-timing their movements, which can exacerbate your injury outlook, especially when you don’t give your muscles an nerves a chance to warm up.

This is why you see more dynamic stretching and warm-ups taking place (the days of static stretching being standard “warm-up” are long gone), and this is why you see stationary bikes on NFL sidelines. You want to activate the muscle chains and neural paths along the muscle groups, and you want to keep them warm and activated so that they don’t crumple like a pile of bricks 10 steps down the field.

I’ll let our resident expert @ptatc fact check me here, but the above is my understanding and working theory of “common” practices these days.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bmags said:

i'm struggling to not be a meathead about this.

It’s tough. I really just kind of can’t wait until literally every player/coach/staffer/person related to this era of the white Sox is gone. I don’t know who to blame for what, but there’s so much blame to go around there just isn’t a point to worrying about where it lands. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 3