Tommy Pham close to deal with White Sox

Vote4Pedro

• Vote4Pedro changed the title to Tommy Pham close to deal with White Sox
3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

MiLB deal. Obviously he is gonna get a shot, but he must be extremely desperate.

Of course he is.  He’s old (36) like the rest of Getz’s acquisitions and no one else wanted him, also like Getz’s acquisitions.

Further proof that Bob Nightengale is JR’s lap dog.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No brainer signing.  Glad Getz is not content with Pillar & Grossman.

Which one goes?

Pham is right-handed and can't play CF...so one would think it's Grossman, not that it even matters in the slightest at this point.

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Of course he is.  He’s old (36) like the rest of Getz’s acquisitions and no one else wanted him, also like Getz’s acquisitions.

Yet he's still probably the best hitter on the active roster...once that move transpires.  His numbers last year were pretty decent.   Never going to be much of a defender, but I think they've thrown that out the window now just trying to generate runs in any way possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Which one goes?

Pham is right-handed and can't play CF...so one would think it's Grossman, not that it even matters in the slightest at this point.

Yeah, I’m honestly not sure.  My guess is Grossman, but Pham is better than both of them.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Which one goes?

Since when did being able to play a position defensively ever matter to the Sox?

Corpse of Griffey Jr. in CF

Mackowiak in CF

Vaughn in RF

Sheets in RF

You could go on and on and I’m sure I am missing plenty more.

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Further proof that Bob Nightengale is JR’s lap dog.

There is zero downside from this move.  He’s almost certainly going to be dirt cheap and better than the other RH OF options.  There is value in not being historically bad as long as they don’t sacrifice the development of their young players (and there isn’t a young RH OF in AAA worth a damn).

• Like 2

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

There is zero downside from this move.  He’s almost certainly going to be dirt cheap and better than the other RH OF options.  There is value in not being historically bad as long as they don’t sacrifice the development of their young players (and there isn’t a young RH OF in AAA worth a damn).

Sure. He will be good for a week or two of hope, until we all realize there's a reason he wasn't signed by anyone, and he's just as washed up as the rest of the guys Getz signed. Why not? Lol

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Since when did being able to play a position defensively ever matter to the Sox?

Corpse of Griffey Jr. in CF

Mackowiak in CF

Vaughn in RF

Sheets in RF

You could go on and on and I’m sure I am missing plenty more.

Josh Fields in LF.

Teahen in the OF and 2B.

Burger at 2B.

Avi in CF.

Dye in CF/SS.

Viciedo basically anywhere.

The ghost of Erstad basically anywhere.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

It doesn’t matter either way.  It’s rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.  What is the value in not being historically bad?  Hopefully, JR is embarrassed even worse by this season as he commented on last season, but I doubt it forces him to do anything out of the ordinary.  It’s pretty obvious that Grifol will be the “fall guy” for this awful season.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Josh Fields in LF.

Teahen in the OF and 2B.

Burger at 2B.

Avi in CF.

Dye in CF/SS.

Viciedo basically anywhere.

The ghost of Erstad basically anywhere.

Nice, haha.  Basically, don’t be surprised if you see Pham starting in CF.  His baseball card says he played games in CF so he can still do it in the Sox eyes.

3 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Sure. He will be good for a week or two of hope, until we all realize there's a reason he wasn't signed by anyone, and he's just as washed up as the rest of the guys Getz signed. Why not? Lol

Pham was actually good last year though.  The reason he hasn’t signed yet is because of his age (and risk of a fall-off) and him probably overvaluing himself.  But regardless of all that, we have nothing to lose by signing him and he might immediately be the best hitter in the lineup.

• Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/phamth01.shtml

.774 ops last season looks like an absolute slugger on this team.

And he's another year older. He had an .820 OPS before being traded, then a .720 OPS the last 50 games. I would put money on him being washed, but hey, like I said. He will be good for some hope for a couple weeks, at least. Might be the second best hitter on this AAA roster. Lol

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It doesn’t matter either way.  It’s rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.  What is the value in not being historically bad?  Hopefully, JR is embarrassed even worse by this season as he commented on last season, but I doubt it forces him to do anything out of the ordinary.  It’s pretty obvious that Grifol will be the “fall guy” for this awful season.

We’re going to be extremely bad not matter what, but setting the all time loss record isn’t actually good for us and will suck for the handful of young players that will have to endure.  I’m as bitter as any Sox fan, but this signing should be viewed as a positive, even if it doesn’t really change all that much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Wouldn't this be more like a tugboat pulling up and delivering more deck chairs to the Titanic?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Wouldn't this be more like a tugboat pulling up and delivering more deck chairs to the Titanic?

Maybe, or Tommy Pham is Leonardo DiCaprio as Jack saving Rose (Sox) by letting her stay on the board as he freezes in the water.

• Like 1