Danny Mendick

Johno

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

I wish ReMVP was hitting better so you justify jettisoning Nicky Lopez, but unfortunately, he's putting up worse numbers than Naperville's Finest in Charlotte.

But we should rejoice, for the prodigal son is returning and Haseley isn't around to murder him.

He should have retired when he was 3-3.

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

Also @WestEddy, Mendick is a depth development win. Adam Haseley massacred our boy right as he was breaking out.

22nd rounder. Get AJ Pierzynski on the horn. Add in Adam Engel, and there's two late rounders developed in house. 

Edited by WestEddy

17 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Dickman returns.....

I love Danny. A rare Sox development success story. If some clown ass in the outfield didn't take his ACL out he might have been a decent 2 WAR starter for us and not had to have grinded out rehab and then roster fringes the last two years.

It looks like he has discovered that launch angle is important. Maybe he can open the eyes of some of our other guys.

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I could see this lineup getting the Sox back on the "win 2 a week" track:

RF - Grossman
C - Lee
DH - Jimenez
1B - Sheets
3B - Mendick
SS - DeJong
LF - Pham
CF - Fletcher
2B - Lopez

that's def the best we can do at the moment, as pathetic as it is.

47 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I love Danny. A rare Sox development success story. If some clown ass in the outfield didn't take his ACL out he might have been a decent 2 WAR starter for us and not had to have grinded out rehab and then roster fringes the last two years.

It looks like he has discovered that launch angle is important. Maybe he can open the eyes of some of our other guys.

Im not looking to start any arguments here, genuinely just asking, but what makes Danny Mendick a development success story? Hes a 30 year old middle infielder with 0.4 career WAR. He owns a career slash line of .242 / .298 / .652.

He sucks. What is the criteria for being a successful development?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, T R U said:

Im not looking to start any arguments here, genuinely just asking, but what makes Danny Mendick a development success story? Hes a 30 year old middle infielder with 0.4 career WAR. He owns a career slash line of .242 / .298 / .652.

He sucks. What is the criteria for being a successful development

It's hard to prove but I think his true talent before the injury had jumped to around a 2 WAR player. I could totally be wrong and he's just a middling utility guy but we'll see. He's still young enough to where he could have a nice few years.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

It's hard to prove but I think his true talent before the injury had jumped to around a 2 WAR player. I could totally be wrong and he's just a middling utility guy but we'll see. He's still young enough to where he could have a nice few years.

My counter point to this is he had a .352 BABIP in his 97 AB's in 2022. So not exactly a lot to put stock into him being an actual good player. Also, what about last season when he was equally as bad as he had been in his chances prior?

I just want to know what would be considered a developmental success. Just making it to the show? That can't be it.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

My counter point to this is he had a .352 BABIP in his 97 AB's in 2022. So not exactly a lot to put stock into him being an actual good player. Also, what about last season when he was equally as bad as he had been in his chances prior?

I just want to know what would be considered a developmental success. Just making it to the show? That can't be it.

Utility player that won't produce negative WAR if a starter goes down for a couple months. Before the ACL, that looked to be about what he was. It's no secret but Chicago hasn't been able to produce 1 WAR utility guys for decades. Other teams seem to do a bang up job but we either bring up black holes or we sign overpaid vets that can't even putup 1 WAR in any role.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Utility player that won't produce negative WAR if a starter goes down for a couple months. Before the ACL, that looked to be about what he was. It's no secret but Chicago hasn't been able to produce 1 WAR utility guys for decades. Other teams seem to do a bang up job but we either bring up black holes or we sign overpaid vets that can't even putup 1 WAR in any role.

Yeah, this is why I said depth development.

It keeps you from spending money on the Leurys, Lopezes, and DeJongs of the world. 

• Like 2

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Yeah I was just looking at it again, and I think I would agree with that. In today's game, if he can play 2B, SS, and 3B and be a decent baserunner with a little pop he is probably useful as a depth guy.

He would really need to be in that .650 and up OPS range though.

Just now, T R U said:

Yeah I was just looking at it again, and I think I would agree with that. In today's game, if he can play 2B, SS, and 3B and be a decent baserunner with a little pop he is probably useful as a depth guy.

He would really need to be in that .650 and up OPS range though.

It's wild how a 650 OPS is like a 90 wRC+ now and for a utility guy is probably above league average .

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's wild how a 650 OPS is like a 90 wRC+ now and for a utility guy is probably above league average .

Well in a perfect world he wouldn't get to see much playing time and you can mask his inefficiencies. In the 2024 White Sox world hes probably going to start 100+ games and bat 5th and its going to be a disaster.

35 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yeah, this is why I said depth development.

It keeps you from spending money on the Leurys, Lopezes, and DeJongs of the world. 

That's it right there.  He didn't show much post surgery last year, but he did have a decent season the year before it.  I guess we will see if he is a .800 or .600 guy now.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's it right there.  He didn't show much post surgery last year, but he did have a decent season the year before it.  I guess we will see if he is a .800 or .600 guy now.

Why not the 1.205 that he's currently rocking in Charlotte?

Unleash the weapon.

On 4/21/2024 at 11:21 AM, kgrittenburg said:

why not call up Montgomery instad of leaving him at the mercy of the Sox player developement trash staff

What, and let Pedro and Eddie Rodriguez develop him LOL.  They can't even teach the players we have how to do a proper rundown.

Best hope is JR clears the deck and we bring him up next year, wait I'm fantasizing again that the White Sox actually know how to develop players or would actually hire the right manager to bring in a qualified staff with him to teach them the fundamentals.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1