Pham up, Pillar out

WestEddy

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I don't think you're wrong, but the majority of these moves are completely inconsequential. 

If he traded Montgomery for some serviceable MLB players so that we could win 60 games, then I would be irate. These other moves really don't matter.

Individually they are probably not much.  But the whole idea is future talent hording at this stage.  Even a small chance at a future is better than no fucking way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

What’s the upside to Fletcher?  Below average power and speed who can’t hit lefties as a corner outfielder.

He has hit at every level. He is supposed to be better defensively, but he's exposed in CF. Probably pressing, too. 

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I don't think you're wrong, but the majority of these moves are completely inconsequential. 

If he traded Montgomery for some serviceable MLB players so that we could win 60 games, then I would be irate. These other moves really don't matter.

I get that most of these are inconsequential, but the scary thing to me is how nearly every move he’s made fizzled out incredibly quick.   His whole “defense will help pitching” plan has been a complete debacle.  He came into the season with zero depth as well.  And yes, there’s absolutely a chance that Mena never adds velocity and also fizzles out, but I think we all know that the Sox were never going to get the most out of his arm.  That should concern all of us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Individually they are probably not much.  But the whole idea is future talent hording at this stage.  Even a small chance at a future is better than no fucking way.

This is the very definition of how Hahn put this organization behind the 8 ball.

Incrementally.

One bad move at a time creating an avalanche of diminished talent on the active roster...and a middling at best farm system whose major source of talent (Cuba) has pretty much completely dried up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

He has hit at every level. He is supposed to be better defensively, but he's exposed in CF. Probably pressing, too. 

I would like his offensive profile a lot more in LF than RF to be honest, but we have the ghost of Benintendi for 3.75 more years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I get that most of these are inconsequential, but the scary thing to me is how nearly every move he’s made fizzled out incredibly quick.   His whole “defense will help pitching” plan has been a complete debacle.  He came into the season with zero depth as well.  And yes, there’s absolutely a chance that Mena never adds velocity and also fizzles out, but I think we all know that the Sox were never going to get the most out of his arm.  That should concern all of us.

The Cease trade looks pretty amazing so far. Other than that, these are all really minor moves. We have no MLB assets.

• Like 2

Just now, fathom said:

I would like his offensive profile a lot more in LF than RF to be honest, but we have the ghost of Benintendi for 3.75 more years.

But they will force him into RF due to his arm strength.

In the end, he will barely be remembered 2-3 years from now.

Mena at least has a chance to become a meaningful contributor.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

3-22 teams operating like the White Sox currently are operating, are not living in reality. I'd much prefer watching Fletcher put up a .650 OPS than watch Otega put up a .680 OPS.  Like you say,, it's probably really unlikely, but Fletcher has a better chance of being able to help the next average White Sox team than any of these dopes Getz is bringing in. This season is already toast. Don't get rid of mediocre young guys for mediocre old guys.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

3-22 teams operating like the White Sox currently are operating, are not living in reality. I'd much prefer watching Fletcher put up a .650 OPS than watch Otega put up a .680 OPS.  Like you say,, it's probably really unlikely, but Fletcher has a better chance of being able to help the next average White Sox team than any of these dopes Getz is bringing in. This season is already toast. Don't get rid of mediocre young guys for mediocre old guys.

They might want him to work on a specific part of his game that won't improve while he's overwhelmed at this level. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Marcus Semien.

Let's see back in 2014-15 the evidence that you were forecasting him as a future star lol...why didn't they or anyone else listen to you?  You scouted him at Berkeley?

You could have sent a resume like WDWF supposedly did to JR every summer and secured yourself an internship.  Maybe even a paid one.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Let's see back in 2014-15 the evidence that you were forecasting him as a future star lol...why didn't they or anyone else listen to you?  You scouted him at Berkeley?

You could have sent a resume like WDWF supposedly did to JR every summer and secured yourself an internship.  Maybe even a paid one.

Why didn't anybody listen to a random nobody like me posting on a tiny message board? I don't know, Caulfield. 

I told you to start making sense.

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Why didn't anybody listen to a random nobody like me posting on a tiny message board? I don't know, Caulfield. 

I told you to start making sense.

So then there's basically zero point to any sports message board...since it's nearly impossible for anyone to "prove" or validate their credibility, ultimately.  Unless they actually work inside the industry.   

Got it.

A few more notes:

1. Korey Lee would be in AAA if Stassi hadn't gotten hurt
  2. Nastrini, Quero, Bush, Leasure, Batista, Carela and Lee are Rick Hahn's parting gift, so thanks Hahn! Eder we give to KW.
  3. Chris Getz to this point has shown he has no fucking clue what he's doing, let alone on an accelerated timeline like JR promised.
  4. He's making panic move after panic move in a lost year and they are compounding, leading to more panic moves.
  5. At this point, I want to see Sheets in CF for the lols.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So then there's basically zero point to any sports message board...since it's nearly impossible for anyone to "prove" or validate their credibility, ultimately.  Unless they actually work inside the industry.   

Got it.

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm giving my opinion. That's the only point of a sports message board. None of our opinions actually matter and none of our opinions are valued by anybody who does matter. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Quin said:

A few more notes:

2. Nastrini, Quero, Bush, Leasure, Batista, Carela and Lee are Rick Hahn's parting gift, so thanks Hahn! Eder we give to KW.
  3. Chris Getz to this point has shown he has no fucking clue what he's doing, let alone on an accelerated timeline like JR promised.
  4. He's making panic move after panic move in a lost year and they are compounding, leading to more panic moves.

As to point #5. Reminds me of an episode of The Munsters.

9 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm giving my opinion. That's the only point of a sports message board. None of our opinions actually matter and none of our opinions are valued by anybody who does matter. 

I disagree. I heard Pedro stalks Soxtalk during games for tips on bullpen moves.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

I will go out on a limb and say that Thorpe is going to be a star. I've watched all the footage I can find on him and his ability to miss bats while throwing 91 is the most intriguing thing I've seen out of a prospect in a long time. Odds are that he's a 4 or a 5, but I think his change is so devastating that it won't matter.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This.  Exactly this.  Even a chance at Fletcher being your 5th OF in 4 years or a situational lefty in AA is better than a chance at nothing in 1 year.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

f*** this guy. What exactly did he think was going to happen? Nobody forced him to sign with Chicago. He'll be lucky to get 50 PA the rest of his career in the MLB. f*** off, only Sox fans can trash the franchise, this guy is just another bum we wasted time, money and a 40 man spot on.

I’m perfectly fine with him or anyone trashing the franchise. They are trash.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Quin said:

A few more notes:

Yes.  The rate in which the bad decisions are happening would cost a High School Athletic Director a job.  It’s completely stunning to see this happen at the Major League Baseball level (or any pro sports team).

• Like 2