5/19 games

Riley Gowens, a throw in from the Bummer trade, is performing very well at high-a this so far. Sounds like he has a plus, low to mid 90’s FB with lots of movement and quality secondary pitches. Even if he end up a reliever to maximize his FB that should be considered a win for us. Someone to watch. I expect him to move up to AA sooner than later

• Like 1

Jairo had himself a fucking game damn.

Im not gonna lie, I’m getting concerned about the stalling of Colsons hit tool. Would like to see some progress by end of June. As we know, it’s all up to him to fix it. Maybe a good YouTube channel exists.

47 minutes ago, bmags said:

Im not gonna lie, I’m getting concerned about the stalling of Colsons hit tool. Would like to see some progress by end of June. As we know, it’s all up to him to fix it. Maybe a good YouTube channel exists.

It looks like no run support for every outing.

Gowens had a no hitter going into the 7th today. He finished with 7 IP, 1 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB. 11 K. 

Iriarte with a similarly impressive 7 IP, 4H, 3ER, 1 BB, 13 K.

Career high K's for both guys. Second straight outing of 7IP and 10+ K's for Gowens.

Excellent day for farm pitching overall, seems like a round of promotions is imminent.

1 hour ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Gowens had a no hitter going into the 7th today. He finished with 7 IP, 1 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB. 11 K. 

Iriarte with a similarly impressive 7 IP, 4H, 3ER, 1 BB, 13 K.

Career high K's for both guys. Second straight outing of 7IP and 10+ K's for Gowens.

Excellent day for farm pitching overall, seems like a round of promotions is imminent.

God damn.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

I share in your concern.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, bmags said:

I feel like Colson needed more time in Birmingham. I'm seeing the same pattern of rushing prospects as the previous regime. 

He has looked terrible aside from the occasional XBH in the upper minors. 

Also feel like they're making the same mistake with Schultz and Gonzalez. They're not ready for Birmingham. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I feel like Colson needed more time in Birmingham. I'm seeing the same pattern of rushing prospects as the previous regime. 

He has looked terrible aside from the occasional XBH in the upper minors. 

Also feel like they're making the same mistake with Schultz and Gonzalez. They're not ready for Birmingham. 

Rushing prospects is a fake problem. They didn't rush prospects during Hahn either, and this board always wants to promote prospects after one good month.

We have not, however, shown any ability to create an organizational approach at the plate. And Colson went from coming in, being patient, finding walks, to now watching strikes and not hitting enough for contact. Chris Getz believes they will figure this out on their own by playing baseball games. Do the orioles believe that? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Rushing prospects is a fake problem. They didn't rush prospects during Hahn either, and this board always wants to promote prospects after one good month.

We have not, however, shown any ability to create an organizational approach at the plate. And Colson went from coming in, being patient, finding walks, to now watching strikes and not hitting enough for contact. Chris Getz believes they will figure this out on their own by playing baseball games. Do the orioles believe that? 

This is where I at least wish we had an organization that worked better together.  For example, what better player to talk to Colson about being selectively aggressive in spots than Yoan?  He went through exactly this the year he was getting murdered on called 3rd strikes two inches off of the plate by MLB.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

This is where I at least wish we had an organization that worked better together.  For example, what better player to talk to Colson about being selectively aggressive in spots than Yoan?  He went through exactly this the year he was getting murdered on called 3rd strikes two inches off of the plate by MLB.

Todd Steverson was instrumental in that and I believe is out of the org. Regardless last 5 years there isn't a single prospect we have now interesting in their plate approach or discipline. Org wide it's awful.

5 hours ago, bmags said:

Todd Steverson was instrumental in that and I believe is out of the org. Regardless last 5 years there isn't a single prospect we have now interesting in their plate approach or discipline. Org wide it's awful.

Quero’s season has also taken a turn for the worse.  His stats since the hot first week have been quite poor.

20 hours ago, fathom said:

Quero’s season has also taken a turn for the worse.  His stats since the hot first week have been quite poor.

He hits way way too many ground balls.  Until that changes it will be really hard for him to be a good hitter and tap into the power with any consistency.  

On 5/19/2024 at 6:12 PM, bmags said:

Came to this sub forum wondering if anyone was discussing this. Colson Montgomery has hit about .230 combined in AA and AAA in his career, over about 350 PA's. Still has plenty of time...but with the way people have discussed Colson and the impact he can have at the ML level....I think there is some reason for concern. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Came to this sub forum wondering if anyone was discussing this. Colson Montgomery has hit about .230 combined in AA and AAA in his career, over about 350 PA's. Still has plenty of time...but with the way people have discussed Colson and the impact he can have at the ML level....I think there is some reason for concern. 

About 250 PAs but if you count the Arizona fall league where he also struggled to hit you get about the same over 350ish PAs. 

8 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

About 250 PAs but if you count the Arizona fall league where he also struggled to hit you get about the same over 350ish PAs. 

52 PAs in AA in 2022

165 PAs in AA in 2023

173 PAs in AAA in 2024

390 PAs

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

52 PAs in AA in 2022

165 PAs in AA in 2023

173 PAs in AAA in 2024

390 PAs

Well clearly I was looking at his page wrong and that makes me feel worse about where he is at especially when you throw in hitting only .244 in the AFL.

3 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Well clearly I was looking at his page wrong and that makes me feel worse about where he is at especially when you throw in hitting only .244 in the AFL.

Yeah, it's not the best. Haven't followed things too closely, but there doesn't seem to be a lot to get excited about at this point with his performance at the higher levels. Still a ton of time left in his development, not sounding the alarms, but clearly there is some more work to do before he's ML ready.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Yeah, it's not the best. Haven't followed things too closely, but there doesn't seem to be a lot to get excited about at this point with his performance at the higher levels. Still a ton of time left in his development, not sounding the alarms, but clearly there is some more work to do before he's ML ready.  

At least it's been steady improvement so far. April was slightly better than the handfull of games in march, May now .260 / .377 /.520

• Like 1