Reasons for Konerko slump

Finkelstein

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 4, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
Regardless of his hip you can watch his swing, his issue has nothing to do with quickness.  He's still turning on fastballs like usual, but he's failing to go with the pitches.  The main reason is he's having trouble recognizing them (especially the changeup down and away) and he's also a little greedy (which is unlike Paulie).  Simply put he's trying to pull everything and your gonna have a hell of a time doing much anything when thats the case. 

Watch him start going opposite field and you'll start seeing him get back on his groove.  He has hit the ball hard though, he's just been too quick.  Basically his timing is off a bit on-top of him trying to pull everything.

Bingo.

Thats not to say the hip won't bother him when he adjusts to the fastball and because of his hip he may be at the plate thinking he has to cheat on the fastball (which he never used to) and thats why he's pulling everything.

If that makes sense. Its kind of the other side of the issue. We think he looks quick, but that may soley be because he's flat guessing fastball on everything because he's not comfortable adjusting to the fastball and looking more offspeed (technically speaking, most hitters look fastball and adjust to the breaking pitch).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 4, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
Steff, I'm not arguing with you but he still can turn around a fastball.  Maybe he doesn't trust that hip causing him to cheat more then he has to??

No arguing.. Paul says it's not 100%.. I believe him.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 4, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
No arguing.. Paul says it's not 100%.. I believe him.

Well, if that hip is declining that badly... then, I don't know know if I want him getting extended. A guy who will enter his 30's with a hip problem? Yuck.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 4, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
Well, if that hip is declining that badly...  then, I don't know know if I want him getting extended.  A guy who will enter his 30's with a hip problem?  Yuck.

Albert was over 30 when he had his monster season with us...

QUOTE(Steff @ May 4, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
Albert was over 30 when he had his monster season with us...

True, but wasn't Belle always better than Konerko offensively? I mean, even Belle's "bad" season in '96 (though I probably shouldn't comment, I only started following the team real closely in '01 or so) was really good.

Ack -- I meant '97 up there...

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 4, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
True, but wasn't Belle always better than Konerko offensively?  I mean, even Belle's "bad" season in '96 (though I probably shouldn't comment, I only started following the team real closely in '01 or so) was really good.

Ack -- I meant '97 up there...

True.. there is no comparison offensively. I was just making a point that Paul could still do well with the condition. Not Belle #'s.. but great Paul #'s..

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 4, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
I tend to think he's got himself into a funk due to all the HR's he hit early.  You can really see how he's trying to pull everything.  The problem is he's pulling way too many pitches outside and just rolling over on it or popping it up weekly.  And when he is pulling the ball he seems to be just a bit too quick. 

He's got to start forcing the issue to the opposite field.  Once he does that you'll see him get back.  On a sidenote, I'm stunned Everett is even hitting the ball because he has looked horrid at the plate.  It seems as if he almost has been getting lucky lately on his hits (I'll take them though).  All you have to throw is a changeup down and he's gonna chase it.  Carl has been overly agressive if you ask me (although you can't really complain with the results thus far).

Carl is just proving what a great hitter he is. He's coming through in the clutch, batting in runs, and keeping his average up with absolutely NO protection from the guys behind him.

As for Paulie, he makes way too much money to bring him back. A one dimensional slow first baseman should not be your highest paid position player. Nothing against Paulie, but that's just the way it is. That money can be spent much more efficiently elsewhere.

If Paulie wants to come back at a home-town discount, say $6million per year for three years, go ahead and extend his contract. Otherwise, let him go and use the money for a more complete player(s).

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ May 4, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
As for Paulie, he makes way too much money to bring him back.  A one dimensional slow first baseman should not be your highest paid position player.  Nothing against Paulie, but that's just the way it is.  That money can be spent much more efficiently elsewhere.

Yeah, what is it with the Sox and Konerko? How the hell did this guy ever get that kind of scratch anyhow? He's streaky as hell who is horrible about half the time. He must be a hell of a clubhouse guy. Personally I'd like to see Gload and Konerko do a 50/50 time split.

QUOTE(Carlo Paz @ May 4, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
Yeah, what is it with the Sox and Konerko?  How the hell did this guy ever get that kind of scratch anyhow?  He's streaky as hell who is horrible about half the time.  He must be a hell of a clubhouse guy.  Personally I'd like to see Gload and Konerko do a 50/50 time split.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/paul_konerko.shtml

Check out his splits from '99-'02. He was deserving of a fat contract. As for what happened after that, you got me.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ May 4, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
As for Paulie, he makes way too much money to bring him back.  A one dimensional slow first baseman should not be your highest paid position player.  Nothing against Paulie, but that's just the way it is.  That money can be spent much more efficiently elsewhere.

If Paulie wants to come back at a home-town discount, say $6million per year for three years, go ahead and extend his contract.  Otherwise, let him go and use the money for a more complete player(s).

I agree. First baseman is probably the deepest position in baseball. With the loss of power this year, we are proving that pitching and defense wins games. I have no problem with not signing him and picking up a cheap quality 1b.

heres a hint konerko:

1. stand a little farther away from the plate

2. your not on a golf course, and if you were i cant believe you would hit the ball

3. lighten up after an out, lets get some confidence flowing

4. stop trying to get hits and kill the thing

5. small ball isnt for you

6. lower your hands earlier in your swing

7. eye contact

8. repeate if you fail

9. contact barry bonds

Paulie got a big juicy up in the zone hanging slider on the outer portion of the plate tonight and just let it go by for a strike. I thought " damn Paulie used to crush those to right center". He sure seems to be looking fastball only. He's getting a ton of breaking balls. When he finally does see a fastball . He's so ready to hit it he pulls it foul. He's actually looking like Crede on the down and away breaking balls. He doesnt seem to be picking up the rotation on the ball very well.Check his meds for that hip condition or his eyesight.

Oh, and in case you overlooked it..

Jermaine Dye - .207

Paul Konerko - .194

Cleanup hitter with lowest average on the team...just thought I'd add some fuel to the fire for the haters...

It sucks so bad that once Dye seems to be getting out of his slump, Konerko starts to slump massively. We need Frank back in the lineup so these guys start seeing better pitches.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ May 4, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
heres a hint konerko:

1. stand a little farther away from the plate

2. your not on a golf course, and if you were i cant believe you would hit the ball

3. lighten up after an out, lets get some confidence flowing

4. stop trying to get hits and kill the thing

5. small ball isnt for you

6. lower your hands earlier in your swing

7. eye contact

8. repeate if you fail

9. contact barry bonds

Sorry but this is just funny :bang

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 4, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Konerko needs to revert to late last year when he was resting the bat on his shoulder and leaning back noticably.  He was hitting for average, like he did in '02.  I'll take that PK over the one who is home run or bust every day of the week.

Hawk likes his new stance where he holds his hands high above his shoulders, but I think it's doing nothing for him.

Anyone see Konerko's stance today? He listened to me. :P