TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

it could have relevance...

ok fine -

so this schmidt guy - i dont have the same hardon for him as the rest of you do... he's already hurt his shoulder once this year and i have a feeling he's going to do it again. he throws too hard and throws too many pitches too often...

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
Somebody please split this Contreras stuff outta here. It's the whole thread and has no relevance to trades.

It's interesting to see the Yanks dealt Quantrill. Surprised someone wanted to give something up for him knowing he'd go on waivers anyway.

Do May and Redding really count for anything??

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
Another thing to consider is how few innings that El Duque and the Count might throw.  I'd feel much better if Contreras could go deep into game while doing what he does, but he doesn't always do that.  Those two guys leave in the 5th inning enough to where it can really tax the bullpen.  I just don't like the idea of have both Cubans, but then I wonder how one would react if the other was trade or put in the pen.

el duque has proven in his past stints with the yankees that he would do fine without any fellow cubans on the staff. Contreras, however, seems to need the comfort of having someone who he can talk with as seen by how well he pitched earlier in the year compared to how much dick he sucked in the majority of his career before that

QUOTE(wdson01 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
el duque has proven in his past stints with the yankees that he would do fine without any fellow cubans on the staff. Contreras, however, seems to need the comfort of having someone who he can talk with as seen by how well he pitched earlier in the year compared to how much dick he sucked in the majority of his career before that

Contreras' numbers were pretty impressive in 2003. He also had a very dominating performance against the White Sox in Sept. 03. 2004 was a different story. But he did have some pretty awesome performances when he first came to the White Sox.

This came out yesterday so I may be late on this. For those people who really want a top relief pitcher rather than a starter, here's this nugget:

Just ask Billy Wagner.

"No chance," was his response when asked yesterday whether he thought the Phillies had what it takes to make the postseason.

"We ain't got a chance to get there right now."

...from yahoo sports. Doesn't sound like he's too happy to be there right now.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
Earlier this season we won our first game in Oakland 6-0. That's a pretty Hawk-esque way to look at things.

But ... was that our first game on the west coast, or just the first in Oakland?

fucc it.. lets just go to a four man rotation....this fifth starter thing is getting rediculous....that has to be the number one priority at this time....ken williams is good at pulling off deals that you don't think will happen...hopefully he can pull a rabbit out his hat and get us a quality fifth guy to go behind el duque

QUOTE(PutItOnTheBoard @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 06:09 AM)
fucc it.. lets just go to a four man rotation....this fifth starter thing is getting rediculous....that has to be the number one priority at this time....ken williams is good at pulling off deals that you don't think will happen...hopefully he can pull a rabbit out his hat and get us a quality fifth guy to go behind el duque

How about Kaz Matsui, He's not plAYING. he's not adjusting to the mets but there is a lot of players that have trouble in the big apple. His contract is done at the end of the year and I think the mets might just let him go.. I think his stock would rise in Chicago.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
How about Kaz Matsui, He's not plAYING. he's not adjusting to the mets but there is a lot of players that have trouble in the big apple.  His contract is done at the end of the year and I think the mets might just let him go..    I think his stock would rise in Chicago.

If you're talking about Kaz Matsui then no, he is a 2B/SS which we really don't need. Not to mention the fact that he's on the DL and bad.

If you're talking about Kaz Ishii than no, he's bad. He can't get anyone out in the National League, why would he be able to get American League hitters out. 5.67 ERA, he's worse than Contreras.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
Apparently, Sporting News Radio has said that the Sox are close to acquiring Schimdt.  Just saw it over at  BTF, thought I'd let you guys know.

Any details Keith??? Thanks for the info.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Apparently, Sporting News Radio has said that the Sox are close to acquiring Schimdt.  Just saw it over at  BTF, thought I'd let you guys know.

/insert picture of Kyyle23 doing the happy dance with Ren and Stimpy

this is good news indeed!

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
/insert picture of Kyyle23 doing the happy dance with Ren and Stimpy

this is good news indeed!

My jaw just dropped. For all of the talking we've been doing about Schmidt, I never actually thought it would happen. It's not a done deal apparently, but in any case:

:snr :headbang :D :cheers :bringit

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
I know about as much about it as you guys do...

Here's where I saw the rumor.  Link.

If true, whoa. But it would be strange to see that happen today. If a trade was close, you'd imagine they'd pull Schmidt from his start today. I think this is a little fishy.

I am sick and tired of big market teams like the White Sox beating up on the small market teams

:lol: Never thought I'd see this anywhere.

Well Schmidt's being hit around a bit. This is what I see: His stuff is there fastball is between 91 and 94 so not 95 or 96 but he's got a ton of movement on it, he's also throwing a nasty splitter and a late breaking curve ball. It's just one of those days for Schmidt he's getting hit around because he's falling behind a bunch of hitters. Personally just watching him for the first few innings I'd love to have the guy if the price is right but jmo.

This is what I actually heard on Sporting News Radio. This is not just a made up rumor. If you want conformation, listen to Sporting News radio on line. They were close to a deal is what the Sporting News sports update said.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
In 3 innigns against the Padres, Schmidt's been tagged for 6 runs, 5 earned.  3 walks in 3 innings.

He's a clear improvement from Duque and Contreras

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
This is what I actually heard on Sporting News Radio.  This is not just a made up rumor.  If you want conformation, listen to Sporting News radio on line.  They were close to a deal is what the Sporting News sports update said.

It's being discussed in the trade thread. The fact that SF started Schmidt today makes it dubious. They can't be too close to a deal.