• Try and Avoid them
    • Dont hate them or Like them
    • Like them
    • Whatever gets people to the games

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys...NJ fan here, been a Sox fan for many years. Just found this site and want to say that it is great, wish I found it years ago. It has been a challenge following this team for me here, but I finally got Comcast to add WGN to there station lineup last year so I can see more games rather than following pitch by pitch on the internet. It's funny here in NJ, alot of people I know are starting to root more for the Sox, of course some of these people I know are front running Yankee fans. I hope sometime in August to take a weekend off and go catch a couple of games at the Cell. Just wanted to add my 2 cents, Bandwagons are welcomed so we can keep this great team together, go sox!

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
Hey guys...NJ fan here, been a Sox fan for many years.  Just found this site and want to say that it is great, wish I found it years ago.  It has been a challenge following this team for me here, but I finally got Comcast to add WGN to there station lineup last year so I can see more games rather than following pitch by pitch on the internet.  It's funny here in NJ, alot of people I know are starting to root more for the Sox, of course some of these people I know are front running Yankee fans.  I hope sometime in August to take a weekend off and go catch a couple of games at the Cell.  Just wanted to add my 2 cents, Bandwagons are welcomed so we can keep this great team together, go sox!

Welcome to Soxtalk :cheers

Newbies take notice. The is the way a first post should be.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
^^^

Quick Bandwagon Fan Quiz

1.) Name atleast 20 men on the current 25 man roster.

2.) What was the White Sox starting rotation in order the first week of the season>

3.) Who is the current closer of the Sox?

4.) Who is the Starting 2nd baseman of the White Sox?

5.) Who is the V.P. of Marketing for the Chicago White Sox?

6.) Who is the current Utility man on the White Sox?

7.) Who is Kevin Walker and does he suck?

8.) Is Timo Perez underpaid at $1mil?

#5 will show how closely you follow the team for sure.

Actually I would remove some of the newer questions and put some older questions in there. Most of the bandwagon fans will know who Kevin Walker is by now along with the current closer. Here's the top 8 I would ask.

2.) What position did Ozzie Guillen play as player?

3.) Who is Jack Mcdowell?

4.) When's the last time the Sox won the pennant?

5.) Did the Sox make it to the playoffs in 1993 and who did they lose to?

6.) Who is Carlton Fisk?

7.) Who is Robin Ventura?

8.) When was US Cellular field built?

If you jumped on the bandwagon this year, then just about every one of those would stump you.

QUOTE(Stephen @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
Actually I would remove some of the newer questions and put some older questions in there.  Most of the bandwagon fans will know who Kevin Walker is by now along with the current closer. Here's the top 8 I would ask.

2.) What position did Ozzie Guillen play as player?

3.) Who is Jack Mcdowell?

4.) When's the last time the Sox won the pennant?

5.) Did the Sox make it to the playoffs in 1993 and who did they lose to?

6.) Who is Carlton Fisk?

7.) Who is Robin Ventura?

8.) When was US Cellular field built?

If you jumped on the bandwagon this year, then just about every one of those would stump you.

Not bad, most Sox fans will know the 90's history and the pennant year.

I do not care either way.

People are people, there are some diehard fans that annoy me.

I hope the bandwagon will buy me a beer if I am cool to them.

And these questions are hilarious.

I like the team, I do not follow the fans. So I do not care who the fans are because this is the team I like. If other people happen to realize something that I have known my whole life, then good for them. I am not going to get upset with them for admitting I was right.

;)

SB

I think bandwagon jumper is a misnomer. There are people who attend a couple games a year. They aren't Cub or Sox fans. They go to the event that seems like the most fun. The casual fan. Up until this season they went to Wrigley. For many different reasons.

IMHO there are probably as many good, knowledgeable, "die hard" Cub fans as Sox fans. There are an equally similar number of obnoxious fans of both teams. Where we have lost the marketing and turnstile battle is the

"do you want to see a movie?"

No.

Well how about a baseball game?

which team is in town?

Sox.

What's playing at the Cineplex?

Now hopefully they say, sure, sounds like fun, the place should be going crazy.

Now there are some fans that will go overboard and really embrace the team. They'll be cramming to learn about Sox history, etc. Again, plenty of room.

I for one would love to see this become a Sox town and push the Cubs off the front page.

NY=Yankees

LA=Dodgers

Chi=Cubs (for now)

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
Hell yes!  :gosox3:  :headbang BTW, for those who want to critiwue me on the few games I go to, I'm 15, have no job, car, or tickets. My 1st game this season will be on the 24th of July vs the BoSox. I start traffic on Monday and will get my liscence/car on August 27th. When I get a real goddamn job, My ass is buying season Tix! :headbang

I am also 15 with no car no job no tickets. My first game of this season will be tomorrow night against the a's. Get my liscence on september 12. To make all things worse i live on the northwest suburbs aka Cub infested suburbs where you get criticized for being a sox fan no matter what the record. i get a lot of " go back to the south side, stupid sox fan!" i just laugh and say who has the best record? But the comeback is always " yeah well the cardinals are the best team in baseball not the sox." This stuff has taught me to more and more dislike the cubs. Us sox fans are a minority up here! I cant wait to get my liscence so i can go watch more games because my dad never finds time off to take me to games. Boy i just needed to vent. Thank you board for hearing my problems. :finger Damn cub fans

I dont care if you're taking a buddy to a sox game for the first time.

I would rather see alot more sox fans than before.

I feel like if I go somewhere and someone else is wearing sox gear you've got an instant friend.

whicg normally goes something like this:

Guy one: NICE!

Guy two: f***IN' RIGHT WHITE SOX BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL, f*** THE CUBS

That has happend to me in numerous bars

QUOTE(drowninginflame @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)

I feel like if I go somewhere and someone else is wearing sox gear you've got an instant friend.

I think that was Joe Pessi and Maury. :lol:

QUOTE(PutItOnTheBoard @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 02:58 AM)
i have no respect for people who arent loyal to their team....people who hop on and off badwagons make me fuccin sick to my stomach

Some people just aren't cut out to be die hard sports fans. More likely, they are fans of being entertained. A concert here, a movie there, a ballgame this week, etc. I can't disrespect people for that. Unless, they try to ACT like die hards when they don't know s*** about the team.

You know .... like Cub fans.

QUOTE(PutItOnTheBoard @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 07:58 AM)
i have no respect for people who arent loyal to their team....people who hop on and off badwagons make me fuccin sick to my stomach

Sports while they are our lives doesnt mean they have to be everybodys....The casual fan watches to be enjoyed and a course it would be hard to enjoy a team that sucks so when we do bad you wont see them.

My opinion...

Sox fans are the biggest fairweather fans that I know of, outside of maybe Cleveland. They don't show up unless we win, and then they all come out of the woodwork. But when you talk to them you know that they are Sox fans, they just won pay to see a loser.

As for bandwagon fans, the Sox don't get that many. Pretty much you are either a Sox or Cubs fan, and even the Cubs fans that come down to see us play, still make it clear that they are Cubs fans.

QUOTE(drowninginflame @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)

That has happened to me many a time too. That guy automatically becomes cool with you. As far as bandwagon fans, it's good except for one thing. I am just a little nervous about playoff tix ( "it's early" disclaimer). I don't want random people making it harder to get playoff tickets. They should make you take that quiz before you buy playoff tickets. Now that would work.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
I don't like em, but they can help us pay for better players by showing up to games.

^^^^^

On the plus side, it also means a few less Cubs' "fans" are out there....

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
I've seen a lot of guys who have jumped this year,and i was wondering your thoughts on thats,. I personally cant stand them its just annoying when people dont support the team and then when they are good say i knew it i love the sox..even the people who were sox fans but when they got 2nd last 3 years they weren't seen now they are in 1st they are all coming out...whats your thoughts

If I suspect someone's a bandwagon fan I ask one simple question. Who are the starting 5 for the Sox. If they can't answer ( with maybe some wiggle room for Duque being hurt ) I throw up the "talk to the hand" gesture and turn away.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
Has anyone heard the new Sox commercial, welcomming people to get on the bandwagon?  f*** that.

:headshake Another waste of time poll. If anybody wants to join the bandwagon so be it. I know i've been a damn fan for 27 years through good and bad. The more fans the better ;)

The more I think about it, I am ok with bandwagon fans, why?

HOT CHICKS are bandwagon jumpers.

scrubs have some beautiful women in thier park, not to say over the years I haven't been impressed but from years past the scenery is getting better for sure.