TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:24 AM)
Well that was the knock on him.  The guy had and has a ton of potential and that's why that Bradford trade was a steal because he was one of the big reasons we got Freddy.

The Bradford trade was far from a steal. He was a main part of a dominant bullpen for 3 years while the As were going to the playoffs every year. Olivo did absolutely nothing while he was here and helped us win nothing at all. Would you like to go back and look over his stats? Olivo is ONE of the reasons we got Freddy, but not a big reason. I would say Reed was the big reason we got Freddy.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
It's ok man.  Some people are just crabby.

I had actually forgotten about the trade thread, so I didn't even know we were that interested in Burnett...

Damn, that thread grows quickly...I don't bother to read through it...

Say no to Schmidt and yes to Burnett (if it doesn't tear the ML roster apart). Schmidt has lost some velocity, and at his age, it's doubtful he'll get it back. This wouldn't be a big deal if he was a guy who threw 97 and could spot a pitch where ever he wanted it (ala Curt Schilling) and his velocity dipped a bit, but his control is average at best and without that blazing fastball, he won't be the Jason Schmidt of old. A.J. Burnett, on the other hand, is a young pitcher who finally appears to be developing into the pitcher he could someday be, and with a 100 MPH fastball and devastating curve, he will only get better as he matures, and he could someday be a dominant ace. He has shown flashes of his greatness at times (his last start was a good example of that, 14 Ks in 18 outs), and over the past year, he's posted better numbers than most of our current starting staff (Buehrle being the sole exception). If the Sox can ink him long term (aka 3 years for Reinsdorf), and he doesn't tear up the ML roster, I say the deal should be done.

I really hope the Marlins aren't going to require a Chacin-type pitcher (McCarthy for us) for any deal to be done though. If they are, I don't think they're going to get a deal done, because it wouldn't make much sense for Toronto to trade Chacin for Burnett unless they were trying to compete next year, because Halladay just went down for most (if not all) of the season, so they're going to fade, and I really don't think we're going to give up McCarthy, nor will the Orioles give up Cabrera.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:29 AM)
I had actually forgotten about the trade thread, so I didn't even know we were that interested in Burnett...

Only 2 more days until we start a new one.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:29 AM)

I dont either, I thought it was a good idea when we started but its becoming more and more of a pain to get caught up on if your not on the site for an extended period of time.

Edited by ScottPodRulez22

QUOTE(go-sox05 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
when are the sox gonna trade for eric milton.  hes the pretty good and dosent give up a lot of home runs.

LOL, you are kidding right? Sarcasm goes in green!

Milton gave up 43 last year, the year before he was injured, 24, 35, 35, 28, and 25 his rookie year.

Thats ALL Milton does is give up homeruns

edit: And this year, Milton has given up 29

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 07:33 AM)
:puke

what do you guys think of the fact that we were almost involved in the nats deal for preston wilson? sounded like it woulda been a big 4 way deal or so, with us giving col prospects, wilson to nats, chisox gettin day, and then spinning day off for "bigger acquisition." to me since the marlins/giants are looking for a major league ready pitcher, and we dont wanna give up bmac, this sounds like it had burnett/schmidt written all over it

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
what do you guys think of the fact that we were almost involved in the nats deal for preston wilson? sounded like it woulda been a big 4 way deal or so, with us giving col prospects, wilson to nats, chisox gettin day, and then spinning day off for "bigger acquisition." to me since the marlins/giants are looking for a major league ready pitcher, and we dont wanna give up bmac, this sounds like it had burnett/schmidt written all over it

Why speculate now? It didn't happen.

While the Giants won't blow up the roster — they plan to field a contending team in'06 — it's possible they could soon make the decision to move forward to next year. That means, for starters, unburdening themselves of the $7 million player option Durham has for next season. And perhaps cutting ties with longtime franchise stars such as Snow and Kirk Rueter.

It also might mean trading Jason Schmidt, though the Giants would require two major leagueready pitchers in return. That means Jon Garland from the White Sox, Erik Bedard from the Orioles or John Patterson from the Nationals — trades that would be counterproductive for contenders looking to bolster their staff.

Giants GM Brian Sabean said he continues to be "as active as we could be" about adding a starting pitcher. He continued to assert that he has not discussed any "premium players" on the 25-man roster, and that picking up Schmidt's $10.5 million option remains a strong possibility.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
While the Giants won't blow up the roster — they plan to field a contending team in'06 — it's possible they could soon make the decision to move forward to next year. That means, for starters, unburdening themselves of the $7 million player option Durham has for next season. And perhaps cutting ties with longtime franchise stars such as Snow and Kirk Rueter.

It also might mean trading Jason Schmidt, though the Giants would require two major leagueready pitchers in return. That means Jon Garland from the White Sox, Erik Bedard from the Orioles or John Patterson from the Nationals — trades that would be counterproductive for contenders looking to bolster their staff.

Giants GM Brian Sabean said he continues to be "as active as we could be" about adding a starting pitcher. He continued to assert that he has not discussed any "premium players" on the 25-man roster, and that picking up Schmidt's $10.5 million option remains a strong possibility.

If that's what they're asking for then Schimdt is staying in San Fran.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
I think it's known we are trying to get Burnett.  It won't foreshadow getting Day from the Nats.

its the other way around....us nearly acquiring day could foreshadow us trying to get burnett (even tho thats known, its just a foreshadow of a potential deal). it adds another facet to the rumors. if teh fish want a major league ready pitcher, the sox have to give up mccarthy or someone on the current roster. if the sox dont want to do that, they can acquire another pitcher such as day and spin him off to the fish. it nearly happened, thats why i mention it

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside14.html

The latest rumor involving the Sox failed to materialize Wednesday when the Washington Nationals traded pitcher Zach Day to the Colorado Rockies for outfielder Preston Wilson. The Sox were a possible third team in that deal, believed to be interested in obtaining Day and sending the Rockies prospects and cash. Day then was rumored to be part of another higher-profile exchange.
Edited by daa84

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
I don't think its arguable at all. I think he's a great prospect. But he certainly has proved he's not major league ready.

yeah true, but i think a team looking for a major league ready pitcher means they dont want some guy in A ball who is still 2-3 years away ie gio

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
yeah true, but i think a team looking for a major league ready pitcher means they dont want some guy in A ball who is still 2-3 years away ie gio

They are still in the Wild Card race. They want someone who can pitch for them this year.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 06:22 AM)

I wouldn't trade Garland straight up for Schmidt. Let alone give something else.

Toronto is a runner for Burnett as well and they have needs in the rotation because of the injury to Halladay so I think Burnett will go to the blue jays. Money is not an issue with them...

Blue Jays: Team making play for Marlins pitcher Burnett

Thursday, July 14, 2005

News

There are plenty of suitors for Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett as the trade deadline nears, but the Blue Jays are one of the teams with the most realistic shot at acquiring him, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports. Jays pitching coach Brad Arnsberg is one of Burnett's closest friends, dating to their partnership with the Marlins in 2002-03. Add to that the fact the Marlins covet what the Blue Jays consider a tradable commodity in pitcher Gustavo Chacin, and the Blue Jays have the ability to raise payroll as much as $30 million a year over the next two years and you have a scenario that makes sense. Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi recently called Marlins GM Larry Beinfest and told him to check back with him before dealing Burnett, so we'll see if something gets done.

Views

The Jays are even more desperate for quality starting pitching given the Roy "Doc" Halladay injury and Burnett would be a very solid patch to that problem, and eventual number two when Doc is able to return. If Burnett makes the move, he'll be going from an extreme pitcher's park to an extreme hitter's park which would make predicting his success much more difficult. Burnett is likely to be somewhere besides Florida when the trade deadline hits and for now, only time will tell.

Edited by Ozzie Montana