AJ Burnett News

WSoxMatt

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont want to trade Marte. But if we can give them the Count and prospect, I would do that in a heartbeat. Another thing we have to make sure is that he would sign with us long term ala Garcia.

If we can get Oliver Perez though, I would love another lefty in our rotation.

Edited by bulokis

I thought we should of signed Perez in the offseason instead of Duque, but the Nationals and Dodgers both really wanted him, I think now it would kind of pointless to go after him, seeing as how its been no better than a mediocre year, and his upcoming money in 06 and 07 really diminishes any upside

Burnett is a good option if the price is right, I doubt it is. Marte is one of the most valuable relievers in baseball. Last year he was the best reliever in difficult situations, I don't want to lose him. If McCarthy & Everett were involved, I'd do it. That would allow us to Swingman El Duque and Gload would be our 4th OF.

This team is 30 games over .500, so I don't think we should change much of our team. If Burnett's price is too high, then Lilly is a great option (if we could get him for a prospect).

Crede's injury could change things. It means that a Utility IF is even more important.

Trade Thread 4 kicks off with this rumor regarding A.J Burnett;

According to the source, the Orioles would acquire Burnett, Lowell and minor league outfielder Eric Reed for a package that includes reliever Jorge Julio, outfielder Larry Bigbie and Double-A pitcher Hayden Penn.

The source said reliever Steve Kline has been added to the discussions, and Sidney Ponson could be substituted for Penn. But one Orioles official called that scenario "far-fetched."

One source said the discussions have heated up, though some insiders believe the Chicago White Sox remain the favorites to land Burnett.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
Trade Thread 4 kicks off with this rumor regarding A.J Burnett;

I hope we stay far, far away from Burnett. He has been in the league as long as K. Wood has (7 years) and hasn't started as many games as the often injured N. Side "Ace" (What do ya'll use for sarcasm).

Stats:

763.1- IP--------------1094.0

42-49 -W/L------------70-52

3.80 - ERA-------------3.67

.230 - AVG against----.216

Burnett is on the left. Wood is on the right.

If you can't pitch better than Wood then I don't want you. And if I remember right Burnett didn't pitch in the '03 post season so he dosn't even have "post season experience" that we need.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 07:31 AM)
Are there any actual rumors of us going after Chacin rather than Ted Lilly?  Chacin would be awesome.

I dont think so...

Blue Jays: Team making play for Marlins pitcher Burnett

There are plenty of suitors for Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett as the trade deadline nears, but the Blue Jays are one of the teams with the most realistic shot at acquiring him, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports. Jays pitching coach Brad Arnsberg is one of Burnett's closest friends, dating to their partnership with the Marlins in 2002-03. Add to that the fact the Marlins covet what the Blue Jays consider a tradable commodity in pitcher Gustavo Chacin, and the Blue Jays have the ability to raise payroll as much as $30 million a year over the next two years and you have a scenario that makes sense. Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi recently called Marlins GM Larry Beinfest and told him to check back with him before dealing Burnett, so we'll see if something gets done.

They would use Chacin to get Burnett or else keep him because they need starting pitching. There is no word if they will deal Chacin but Lilly is available. I would like Lilly beacause he is left-handed, strikes out a lot of batters, and he is a strong second half pitcher.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

I have been against getting Lilly since the rumors started but in going over what we need for the playoffs it comes down to 2 things. Someone who owns David Ortiz and someone who can beat the A's, those are our biggest obstacles to the WS and the biggest things we're lacking.

Surprisingly(for me at least), the guy who absolutely owns Ortiz is none other than Ted Lilly, and in fact he's done very well vs the BoSox in general. He tradionally hasn't done too well vs the A's but then this yr he is 1-1 with a 2.71 era against them and that's what counts most.

Another guy who could claim to own Ortiz is Mark Redman but he's been awful vs the entire BoSox is just plain bad vs possible playoff opponents in general.

Lowell may be part of a Burnett trade

July 16

Baltimore Sun: "The Orioles remain in the running to acquire pitcher A.J. Burnett from the Florida Marlins, according to an industry source, with the package expanding to possibly include third baseman Mike Lowell. One source said the discussions have heated up, though some insiders believe the Chicago White Sox remain the favorites to land Burnett."

Hmm....Lowell?? Crede is hurt. :huh

Edited by BigSqwert

At least one paper has Burnett going to Balt. very soon. Makes sense that Balt. would go harder after him then the sox

----------------------------------------------------

Trade Talks Hasten for A.J. Burnett

By Jorge Arangure Jr.

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, July 16, 2005; Page E06

SEATTLE, July 15 -- The Baltimore Orioles and Florida Marlins have accelerated trade talks for pitcher A.J. Burnett, according to several baseball sources. One baseball source said Burnett has pitched his last game as a Marlin and that Baltimore may be the favorite to land the 6-foot-4, 230-pound right-hander by the end of the weekend.

Burnett would be a major addition to Baltimore's pitching staff that will also add Erik Bedard, who has been on the disabled list since May 26, on Monday. Burnett, 28, is 5-6 with a 3.64 ERA for the Marlins and is a free agent at the end of the year. To land Burnett, Baltimore likely will ask for a negotiating window to sign him to an extension. Burnett, whose wife is from the Baltimore area, is open to signing a long-term deal with the Orioles. But the Orioles have yet to start negotiating with Burnett.

In return the Orioles likely will give up reliever Jorge Julio, pitcher Hayden Penn and outfielder Larry Bigbie. Florida also would include either outfielder Juan Encarnacion (.282, 11 home runs, 49 RBI) or third baseman Mike Lowell (.228, 4, 36), who would play first base for the Orioles. The Orioles appear to favor Encarnacion but may get stuck with Lowell, who is making $7.5 million this season and is signed for next season as well. Encarnacion is a free agent at the end of the season and likely would take Bigbie's place in the outfield.

Florida had insisted that Daniel Cabrera be included in the deal, but the Orioles resisted. Florida pitching coach Mark Wiley, who was Baltimore's pitching coach from 2001 to 2004, covets Julio. . . . Manager Lee Mazzilli said that catcher Geronimo Gil, who has been on the disabled list since July 3 with an injured left thumb, won't come off the disabled list when he is eligible on Tuesday.

I think that's a done deal, the talk about the Sox as still in the running was IMO nothing but a bluff by FLA to get Cabrera in the deal. If/when the Sox make their deal, FLA loses any leverage they'd have at getting Lowell or Encarnacion added which would be a huge snafu on their part. They can't afford to risk that, this will be done by Monday.

Buster Olney on SC...

-Baltimore/White Sox top 2

-Jorge Julio is being offered by Baltimore

-Contreras would be a piece from the Sox side

-Feeling is Burnett WILL be moved

-Marlins want to move Lowell with Burnett

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
Buster Olney on SC...

-Baltimore/White Sox top 2

-Jorge Julio is being offered by Baltimore

-Contreras would be a piece from the Sox side

-Feeling is Burnett WILL be moved

-Marlins want to move Lowell with Burnett

I saw the same segment, and Olney made it sound like the Marlins will only trade AJB if the team will take Lowell also. Lowell is due 25 million over the next 3 years. It's time for KW to walk away from the table, and quick. The Marlins seem to be asking for a ton for someone who's proven nothing.

QUOTE(cubbiesuck13 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 05:36 AM)
I hope we stay far, far away from Burnett. He has been in the league as long as K. Wood has (7 years) and hasn't started as many games as the often injured N. Side "Ace" (What do ya'll use for sarcasm).

Stats:

763.1- IP--------------1094.0

42-49 -W/L------------70-52

3.80 - ERA-------------3.67

.230 - AVG against----.216

Burnett is on the left. Wood is on the right.

If you can't pitch better than Wood then I don't want you. And if I remember right Burnett didn't pitch in the '03 post season so he dosn't even have "post season experience" that we need.

Not only is he almost a worse version of Kerry Wood, in the offseason, he's going to get the kind of money that Wood would get if he were available this season...$10 mil a year plus, over 4+ years (he'll probably want 5).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
I saw the same segment, and Olney made it sound like the Marlins will only trade AJB if the team will take Lowell also.  Lowell is due 25 million over the next 3 years.  It's time for KW to walk away from the table, and quick.  The Marlins seem to be asking for a ton for someone who's proven nothing.

You could make a case that Contreras has outperformed Burnett this season. To take on Lowell too would be silly.

I don't think ANY of these rumors make sense at all.

ANY.

60 wins in 90 games... what the hell do we implode our team for?

Until I see something that says they are going to get a rent a player for prospects and not touch our current staff, I have a hard time believing it.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
I don't think ANY of these rumors make sense at all.

ANY.

60 wins in 90 games... what the hell do we implode our team for?

Until I see something that says they are going to get a rent a player for prospects and not touch our current staff, I have a hard time believing it.

89 games :D

I don't think we're gonna do anything major in terms of an upgrade. Every time a hear a rumor about us getting this guy or that guy, I hear another rumor about another team getting that same guy and usually it makes waaaaaaaaaaay more sense for the other team to get him.

Surprise me KW.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
burnettonthesox4dz.gif

Two years ago we wanted lowell and they said any deal for lowell would include the Marlins getting Crede.. So the much maligned Crede is sought after by other teams. THis may not be true today I think the MArlins would like to dump Lowell's salary .. Crazy thing called economics for small market teams...............It looks like he's on the downside of his career. :headshake