Adkins coming?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
WTF why not BaJ

If they bring up Adkins instead of Baj, that tells me one of two things.

1. The Sox do not think Baj is the real deal.

2. They think that Adkins ability to pitch more innings will be more useful.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
During the 11:00 update on Silvy and Carmine, the update guy mentioned Hermanson's back, and said Jon Adkins could be coming up.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Adkins will be fine, I'm not sure why he wasn't up here sooner.

They only said that because Bruce Levine mentioned it yesterday. The only reason Bruce mentioned it was because he doesnt know any other arms in our system. If it was the cubs, he would be spot on, but he only knows ADkins cause he was up last year. I dont see why they would bring him up, when there are 3 or 4 better options.

Ozzie has a hard-on for guys who played for him. That's why Timo keeps running out there, and that is why Adkins will be back before Baj. Plain and simple. IN some ways, and I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but Ozzie needs to be careful with the loyalty to a fault because that is what has hurt Dusty.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Ross Gload and Jeff Bajenaru slept with Ozzie's daughters.  That has to be the reason.

Ehem.. he doesn't have any daughters. :unsure:

:lolhitting

Agree with Rock here, it's based on Levine speculating. But Levine could have a point and be right.

Suppose Hermanson's back lands him on the 15 day DL. This is as good a spot as any to give Jenks the ball in late innings. I'm not saying he's better than other options but let's find out.

I would rather find out about Jenks ability to help this team in 2005 now vs. after the trade deadline. They won't be able to baby this guy down the stretch and in the playoffs, let's see if he's got the right stuff.

If that's the case, then a guy like Adkins fits, although he is not that great. Adkins is stretched out and can work the garbage innings, thus saving other bullpen arms for more important roles.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
If that's the case, then a guy like Adkins fits, although he is not that great.  Adkins is stretched out and can work the garbage innings, thus saving other bullpen arms for more important roles.

One of the big problems we had with the "Work the garbage innings" idea earlier in the year when Shingo and viz were struggling and Walker was up is that this team isn't the Yankees...our starting pitchers don't give up 10 run innings very often and we don't score 12 in an inning very often.

In other words...We don't have many garbage innings! Walker was going about 10 days between appearances entirely because so many of our games were close and we couldn't afford to give up any more runs.

I'm shocked so many of you are quick to down Adkins... He had a decent year out of the pen last year...

Yes his numbers suck in AAA but he's been used mostly as a starter to. I think in the pen he'll be fine...

Although personally I think BMAC should be the one brought up and used as a long man in the pen... He's not doing all that great in AAA and it gives him a chance to work his way into the bigs the same way Garland and Buherle did...

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Agree with Rock here, it's based on Levine speculating.  But Levine could have a point and be right.

Suppose Hermanson's back lands him on the 15 day DL.  This is as good a spot as any to give Jenks the ball in late innings.  I'm not saying he's better than other options but let's find out. 

I would rather find out about Jenks ability to help this team in 2005 now vs. after the trade deadline.  They won't be able to baby this guy down the stretch and in the playoffs, let's see if he's got the right stuff.

If that's the case, then a guy like Adkins fits, although he is not that great.  Adkins is stretched out and can work the garbage innings, thus saving other bullpen arms for more important roles.

Bruuce Levine is as accurate as carpet bombing. Eventually, just like all improbable things he will get one correct. Remember the Crypt Keeper Gammons had AJ coming here as a done deal the other night. Speculation is bascially another word for bulls***.

Give Jenks the ball. Cooper, AJ and others need to see if this guy is the real deal. If he is, with that fastball he is as good of a possiblity out of the pen as anyone out there. We have a very nice comfortable lead. We can give the ball to jenks here and there and see what he is made of. They had him up in the 9th yesterday with Politte.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
Why not Shingo?

Shingo is not a "long" reliever. Adkins can give us 5 or 6 innings if we need someone to eat innings. Baj was mentioned as a long man earlier, yet he's been a closer all season, so he wouldn't qualify for that role either.