Pierzynski Longing for a few more years With Sox

Rowand44

Pierzynski longing for a few more years with Sox

Sunday, December 11, 2005

By Joe Cowley

Staff writerA.J. Pierzynski has no problem waiting for his turn.

The White Sox catcher, however, makes no secret he would like to get a multiyear contract done that would assure he'd be staying on the South Side for at least a few more seasons.

"We won the World Series and we are bringing most of the same players back," Pierzynski said from his home in Florida via a phone interview. "How could I not want to return to this team for a few more years?

"I also know they needed to get some other things done first, and they won't have to make any type of decision on me for a while."

Pierzynski, pitcher Jon Garland and third baseman Joe Crede are arbitration-eligible. Even if the Sox aren't looking to get a multiyear deal done for Pierzynski this offseason, he would still be Sox property and could settle on a one-year deal or opt for an arbitration hearing.

Considering the history of the Sox with arbitration-eligible players, a hearing is the last resort for the organization. Since 1998, the Sox have had one player go to an arbitration hearing, reliever Keith Foulke before the 2001 season.

That may change this offseason, but Pierzynski won't be the one to blame.

According to one source close to the situation, Garland turned down a three-year contract offer last week. Terms of the offer were not disclosed. That means the Sox could be headed for at least one arbitration hearing before the 2006 season. Considering Crede has Scott Boras as his agent, it could very well be two.

Of the three, Pierzynski seems the most willing to get something done. He earned $2.25 million in 2005, and could see his salary jump to about $4 million for '06.

"I understand this is a business," said the 28-year-old Pierzynski, who will appear as a tag-team manager on TNA Wrestling's Turning Point pay-per-view event Sunday. "I've seen that end of it the last few years. But playing (for the Sox) definitely feels like home."

Pierzynski was traded by Minnesota to San Francisco after the 2003 season when the Twins decided Joe Mauer was their future behind the plate.

While in the Twins organization, Pierzynski grew accustomed to trading some smack talk with his teammates. That act didn't fly in San Francisco. Several Giants pitchers called Pierzynski a "clubhouse cancer" during his one season in the Bay Area.

After being released by the Giants, Pierzynski signed with the Sox for the 2005 season. He had some reservations about coming to a clubhouse where he was considered Baseball Enemy No. 1 while he was with the Twins.

The '05 season, however, turned out to be a storybook one for Pierzynski and the Sox. He quickly fit in, then proved to be a key fixture in the Sox's run to the World Series championship.

The Sox are expected to turn their attention to Pierzynski in January. He said he has no problem waiting his turn.

"Obviously, getting Jim Thome and then (re-)signing Paulie (Konerko) were more important than getting to me," Pierzynski said. "That goes without saying."

While those two moves excited Pierzynski, it wasn't all sunshine and smiles.

"I'm thrilled to have Thome in the lineup, but at the same time Aaron Rowand (who was traded for Thome) is a great buddy of mine," Pierzynski said. "I was disappointed that he had to go. Like I said, though, it's a business.

"If we can get a center fielder that can come close to doing what 'Row' did, having Thome in the middle of the lineup ... wow. Thome, Jermaine (Dye) and Konerko ... that's as formidable a middle of the lineup as there is in the (AL Central) division."

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/112sd5.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure there is a 3 year deal in AJ's future. :wub: AJ.

QUOTE(SnB @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
i think KW knows how important AJ was to us last year.  He'll get his due from us, I really don't have any doubt about it.

^^^

We really have no one to replace him in the immediate future and the way he molded in with our team last season is almost a given he will be with us for at least another 2 years. I have faith in KW locking him up.

Now JG, I don't know...

QUOTE(SnB @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
isn't it nice to hear all of the players say that they want to stay here?

Awesome. After hearing about clubhouse spies from Foulke and Durham, to players not feeling safe coming here due to the fans, and to players just not wanting to stay period...it is very nice to see it all. PK staying, Thome loving every second so far, AJP wanting to come back...they just gotta get Jon and Joe some of that mojo.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Awesome.  After hearing about clubhouse spies from Foulke and Durham, to players not feeling safe coming here due to the fans, and to players just not wanting to stay period...it is very nice to see it all.  PK staying, Thome loving every second so far, AJP wanting to come back...they just gotta get Jon and Joe some of that mojo.

I think Joe needs to bring his playoff mojo into the regular season, offensively speaking.

I would definatly sign AJ for a 2 or 3 year deal. The problem is AJ is coming off one of his worst years in terms of his batting avg, which has been the cornerstone of his game for so long. He was the guy who was always a lock for a 290-310 avg. He hit a career low .258 in 2005 for the sox. Kinda of dissapointing. It was nice to see some inflated power numbers, but that was a product of a 7 homers in 7 days tear he went on in May. AJ is still AJ and will put up career average numbers more likely than break out numbers. That being said I would look for his batting avg to rebound next year, I hope.

If i was KW I would know I could probably get him on a 1 year deal for quite cheap since he had his worst year in batting avg, 1 year 3.5 mil. However, I would also try something like a 2 year 7-8 mil with an option or a 3 year 10-11 mil deal with a buyout. That should basically do it, granted AJ wants to be a White Sox for the next few years.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
I would definatly sign AJ for a 2 or 3 year deal.  The problem is AJ is coming off one of his worst years in terms of his batting avg, which has been the cornerstone of his game for so long.  He was the guy who was always a lock for a 290-310 avg.  He hit a career low .258 in 2005 for the sox.  Kinda of dissapointing.  It was nice to see some inflated power numbers, but that was a product of a 7 homers in 7 days tear he went on in May.  AJ is still AJ and will put up career average numbers more likely than break out numbers.  That being said I would look for his batting avg to rebound next year, I hope.

If i was KW I would know I could probably get him on a 1 year deal for quite cheap since he had his worst year in batting avg, 1 year 3.5 mil.  However, I would also try something like a 2 year 7-8 mil with an option or a 3 year 10-11 mil deal with a buyout.  That should basically do it, granted AJ wants to be a White Sox for the next few years.

Getting offense from AJ is secondary, any O from AJP is just a bonus.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
Getting offense from AJ is secondary, any O from AJP is just a bonus.

Thats his claim to fame if you will. AJ is supposed to be a great offensive catcher, its helps negate his really bad caught stealing %. He didn't make the all star team in 2002 becuase hes a good game caller.

QUOTE(LDF @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
on the flip side, do we have a catcher that can take over for him and if yes, when is he projected to be up here.

well, we spent a high pick on donny lucy last year

there is another, but lucy is our best defensive guy if i remember correctly

I can see A.J. signing to a 2-3 year extension once January hits. By then KW will be done with his 'fine tuning' And can focus on giving contract extensions to AJ, Crede, and Garland to avoid arbitration. I can see Joe and A.J. signing to 2-3 year deals while Garland I can see signing for a 1 year deal to avoid arbitration. This is most likely Jon G's last year with us. Lets make the most of this rotation. Because after 2006, who knows what will happen with Contreras and Garland. At least we know BMac, Garcia and Buerhle will be here for a few more years.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
Awesome.  After hearing about clubhouse spies from Foulke and Durham, to players not feeling safe coming here due to the fans, and to players just not wanting to stay period...it is very nice to see it all.  PK staying, Thome loving every second so far, AJP wanting to come back...they just gotta get Jon and Joe some of that mojo.

What's that?

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
well, we spent a high pick on donny lucy last year

there is another, but lucy is our best defensive guy if i remember correctly

and how far away is he to making the bigs???

the point is, i hope a long term contract is offered and accepted. i would like to see aj back there for a long time.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
Give AJ what he wants and be grateful we have a great catcher, I say.

Im sorry but thats not the right way to do business. Thats not the way KW approaches it at all. He is very good at knowing when and when not to give a guy a deal and for how much. KW is not gonna sign AJ cuz hes just grateful that hes here, hes gonna sign AJ to a deal he thinks makes sense for both parties and respectfully so. When players price themselves too high the sox wave goodbye, ala colon, when they want to be a sox they get a good fair deal, ala konerko. Thats the KW philosphy and AJ will be treated the same and sign a nice fair 2 or 3 year deal.