Frank Thomas signs with Oakland Athletics

OfficerKarkovice

Also, as hard as it is for me personally to let him go, as attached to him as I've become to him over the past 10 years or so...atleast I personally can find comfort in the fact that he has gone to a team that appreciates his value very much.

Frank is your (proto/stereo)typical "moneyball" player...great OBP, great OPS, very cheap, but has a catch...the facts that he can't play defense, is very injury prone, and turns 38 in May.

And to answer this...

QUOTE(MinnySoxFan @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
Is anyone else surprised at how cheap they got him?

no. There is little to no market for old, injury prone DHs. That's why Mike Piazza is still a FA, though he too could be moving closer to a deal with whomever.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)
no.  There is little to no market for old, injury prone DHs.  That's why Mike Piazza is still a FA, though he too could be moving closer to a deal with whomever.

There was actually some talk a few days ago that Piazza was at least speaking to the Phillies

s8nh.jpg

:crying

Frank is easily worth the risk. If he plays the full season, Frank will only earn $3.1 million at the most and the A's will be happy. If he gets injured again and barely plays, the A's will only be out $500,000. That's chump change. If Frank stays healthy for the entire season (big if) he will probably be the best signing of the offseason, similar to the Dye signing of last offseason.

Edited by SSH2005

Very sad to see Frank go but we all knew it was going to happen. I'd love to see him reach 500 homers, it doesn't matter what uniform to me either, even though I would've prefered it was with the Sox. It'd be very cool for him to do it at U.S. Cellular as a member of the away team.

All the Sox players feel about the same as we do...

Thomas gone, and Sox happy all around

Players wish ex-teammate well, glad he's far away in Oakland

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- The reactions of Paul Konerko, Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts to Frank Thomas signing with the Oakland A's on Wednesday produced one overriding theme.

This particular White Sox trio, speaking during an appearance at the Greater Chicago Food Depository, were more than hopeful that a healthy Thomas eventually would be able to end his illustrious career on his own terms.

But the happiness for their friend and former teammate gave way to a little practical excitement with the prolific slugger now practicing his craft in the American League West.

"I don't want to go against him in the division," said Politte. "It's fine for him to be in Oakland."

"We only play Frank six times," added Cotts, pointing out that it's better for Thomas to be with the A's than the AL Central's Indians or Twins. "But it's good for him he found somewhere to play. I hope he does well and comes back healthy."

Cotts has never faced Thomas in his young career, being that they both had been part of the same organization until this offseason. Politte, meanwhile, went head-to-head with Thomas twice previously and retired him on both occasions.

Thomas' greatest success against a White Sox hurler has come off Freddy Garcia, with two home runs, three RBIs and six walks in 21 at-bats. If Thomas remains anywhere close to 100 percent healthy, though, the opposing pitcher doesn't often matter.

In just 105 at-bats last season, Thomas launched 12 home runs. The White Sox appeared to be at their most dangerous when The Big Hurt was crushing balls over the outfield fence in the middle of their oftentimes offensively challenged lineup.

And Thomas did much of that damage after suffering a second fracture of the left navicular bone in his ankle. The only plus for Thomas with this particular injury, which eventually ended his 2005 campaign, was that there was more blood flow to the affected area and he was able to avoid a second surgery that probably would have ended his career.

The preference for Thomas was to finish his almost two-decade career where he started, with the White Sox, exercising his $10 million player option for 2006. But the team decided to go in another direction with the addition of Jim Thome, buying out Thomas for $3.5 million and not offering him arbitration. It left Thomas in unfamiliar territory, as a free agent trying to prove to teams that he was healthy once again.

There was no concern in regard to Thomas' immense talent fading away.

"It's all a matter of that injury," said Konerko, referring to Thomas' two ankle injuries that have limited him to 108 games over the past two seasons. "If he gets healthy, he will do some damage for them.

"We wish him well, and we hope he gets healthy. Every player, the one constant is, you wish any guy can go out on his own terms. You don't want an injury to stop anyone.

"He's a Hall of Famer without the 500 home runs. But I think he can get there if he stays healthy for a season or just over a season."

Konerko reinforced the point that Thomas is a Hall of Famer, regardless of his final home run total -- with his two Most Valuable Player awards, his contribution to a World Series champion and his dominance for more than a decade. But picking up 52 more home runs to reach 500 is a goal that continues to drive the soon-to-be 38-year-old Thomas.

Oakland appears to be a good fit for the career .307 hitter, with 1,465 RBIs and 1,466 walks, as he makes his offseason home in Las Vegas. Being part of the A's is an even better fit for Thomas where the White Sox are concerned.

Thomas might contribute to Oakland's continued dominance over the South Siders, but at least he won't be wreaking havoc in the AL Central. Playing against Thomas on May 22-24 in Chicago and on Sept. 15-17 in Oakland is more than enough for the White Sox.

"We are happy he's not in our division because we would have to face him a lot more," Konerko said. "When he's been healthy over the last five years, he's been doing the job. It has nothing to do with lack of skills."

QUOTE(MinnySoxFan @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
Is anyone else surprised at how cheap they got him?

I am surprised it was that low. They are really concerned about the injury if they are going to give him a bonus if he doesn't have an injury to that foot, and other play time incentives.

It will be interesting to monitor this situation in ST.

I am sad to see him go, but I can't imagine him returning to his old form.

I'm surprised that the base salary is so low at $500,000. I know that Frank already got a $3.5 million buyout from the Sox and he is mainly playing for the incentives but Timo Perez and Ben Davis got a guaranteed million dollars last season. Awesome deal for the A's, whether he stays healthy or not. I'm surprised that the Twins didn't try harder to sign him but I guess the A's were Frank's first choice.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Saying goodbye to Frank wasn't about loyalty, it was about health.

Loyalty is all about standing by someone when they need a break. Loyalty isn't about a mutually beneficial situation. This isn't even about health. This is about winning and repeating. The team, rightfully so, believes they have a better chance to repeat with Thome than Frank. It was an either or situation. They made the right move. I agree with the move, as much as it hurts. But this is also why I don't get all upset at players that decide they would rather play somewhere else. Teams can't be loyal, and either can players.

Can anyone say that Frank didn't give 100% to the organization? Two seasons ago he agreed to the #4 spot in the lineup. He DHd when he knew it would hurt his chances for the HoF. He worked his butt off to rehab and get back on the field. He was the face of the organization through some pretty lean years. If anyone deserves to get a break and have the team sacrifice for him, Frank would be the guy. But he no longer fit in the plans and is out. I'm not disagreeing with the move, but pointing out why I don't get upset with players who move on.

As a baseball 'romantic fan' I would say if either Thome and Pauly go down to an injury and the A's are out of contention, I can see KW bringing the big man back.

But as a baseball realist fan I know Frank will never be on the Sox again. He had a great career and he truly is "Mr. White Sox". I hope he does well in Oakland as it should be a tight race between Seattle, Oakland and the Angels in 2006.

Hey it could be worse, at least he is not on the Twins where we would have to face him 18 times!

If the White Sox truly believed Frank Thomas could be counted on make it through an entire season healthy, he still would be here. They gave up a popular player and some decent prospects for a guy who is also a health risk for his replacement. Considering his new contract, which has incentives on plate appearances and not being on the DL, and no incentives on performance, the A's, while being probably a little more optimistic about Frank's health than the White Sox, still have a great concern about it.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't think it's accurate to call Jim Thome a health risk. His price tag was steep, but so is anyone worth getting.

Health risks are players like Nomar Garciaparra or Frank Thomas, who have consistent problems with injuries and staying healthy over the course of several years.

Thome was sidelined for most of a season and while that doesn't make him Cal Ripken, it also does not make him a liability on the level of Frank Thomas, either.

I disagree emphatically with Kotex Boy. Despite what we feel towards Frank in the midwest he is not a lock to be a first ballot HOFer because he has never played for an East Coast team. The EC controls the HOF. Yes I think it's unfair & crap & all the rest of the expletives you can think of but it is what it is.

So Frank's only way to combat that bias is to reach 500 HRs.

As for what this means to the White Sox it's only going to hurt if they face us in the post season. They've beaten us badly over the years w/out Frank so it's not likely we were expecting to beat them in 2006. In fact when you consider Frank's impact on our opponents over the years a stronger A's team can only help the White Sox' first goal of winning the ALC again.

Apr 2006: 3@Minn, 3vDET, 3@KCR

May 2006: 2vCLE, 3@CWS (M,T,W), 3vKCR : The Sox might see sell-outs.

Jun 2006: 4vMinn, 3@CLE

Jul 2006: 3vDET, 3@DET

Aug 2006: 3@KCR

Sept 2006: 3@Minn, 3vCWS, 4vCLE

A's v ALC: 10 w Minn, 9 w KCR, 9 v DET, 9 v CLE. 6 v CWS

Frank Thomas (ankle) still hasn't been cleared to play by doctors, but he hopes to be ready for the start of the season.

Both the A's and his agent appear to be optimistic. "He is shooting to be ready by the start of the (regular) season," agent Arn Tellem said. "He's in great shape, so knock on wood." A's team orthopedist Dr. Jerrald Goldman ran Thomas through a strenuous battery of tests and agility drills before the deal was complete, and he "passed with flying colors," according to GM Billy Beane.

Source:  San Francisco Chronicle

Since I've let everyone say their piece about Frank and what not, I would first like to thank him for his contributions to the organization. The face of the organization since the early 1990's, he deserves his props for what he did. I will never forget him. It was truly a pleasure to watch him wear the White Sox uniform so long.

As far as Frank now with the A's, I've only got one thing to say. When he steps into the box at the Cell, I'm hoping we hear a big HE GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!