Best performance of a pitcher

Kyyle23

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
not a great performance, but one of the best pictures left in my mind was brandon pitching against boston, and i want to say it was to varitek or trot nixon, and he started out changeup, curve ball, fastball, curve, change and the batter looked lost on every single pitch that was thrown. To me it was teh AB that signified that Bmac had what it takes not only to pitch in the bigs but to make big league hitters look plain silly

Not a great performance? 7 2/3 shutout innings against them best offense in baseball in their home park?

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
Right after that Buehrle performance or was it right b4 Garland had a perfect game through like 5-6 innings I think b4 he gave up a couple of hits and runs.

The game before, it was a friday night. Garland was untouchable until the 7th where he got into a little bit of a funk. I believe Hermanson came into that game in some trouble to save it too, sweet game. The next day was the 99 minute game, I left Chicago right before the game and got to Madison right after it was over, perfect listening for a 2 hour car ride back to school. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, Garland's back to back 3 (or 4?) hit shutouts early in the season. If that wasn't impressive I don't know what is.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
Since it has been dead time and all of the theoretical posts seem to be dwindling down(hopefully), I thought it would be a good time to ask what you each feel was the best pitching performance over the course of the season.  There were some pitching moments last year that will stand out in my mind forever, but for some reason the one that absolutely sticks out was June 29th.

Brandon McCarthy started the game, and left with a 3-2 lead in the 7th.  The game ended up being tied by a Chris Shelton triple and a sac fly off of Neal Cotts, and the next inning Cotts got into trouble and loaded the bases.  Cliff Politte came in the game, and struck out Ivan Rodriguez, and induced Craig Monroe to hit into a 6-3 double play.  I remember watching the game with a sick feeling in my stomach, and Politte just came in and started pumping gas all over the strikezone. 

Please share your favorite performance of a pitcher over the course of 2005, and I was thinking of having a "Favorite Pitching Moment of 2005" poll after a few days.  Try and include the opponent and date if you can.  If not, no biggie.  :)

I would have to say the night Mark Buehrle pitched against the Seattle Mariners I think he shut them out and only gave up three hits all of them to Ichiro , if not for Ichiro Mark has a no-hitter.

:gosox1: :gosoxretro:

well the obvious was Orlando Hernandez's relief job vs. Boston when he came in with the bases loaded and no outs, but another great performance came against the Tigers, with us nursing a 2-1 lead in the 9th when Hermanson came on and gave up a lead-off triple to Pudge, then retired the next three batters to escape with the win. it was incredible to see Hermanson grind that one out.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(AirScott @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
well the obvious was Orlando Hernandez's relief job vs. Boston when he came in with the bases loaded and no outs, but another great performance came against the Tigers, with us nursing a 2-1 lead in the 9th when Hermanson came on and gave up a lead-off triple to Pudge, then retired the next three batters to escape with the win.  it was incredible to see Hermanson grind that one out.

LOL, during the year! Not the playoffs!

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
LOL, during the year!  Not the playoffs!

my mistake, I suspected you meant during the year, which is why I brought up Hermanson to avoid looking like a complete ass. chalk it up to a terrible short-term memory on my part.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
Not a great performance?  7 2/3 shutout innings against them best offense in baseball in their home park?

haha sorry i didnt mean it like that...it certainly was a great performance, what i meant was that it was more that 1 AB that stood out in my mind, but in all honesty it might have been the best total performance as well

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 12:01 AM)
IIRC, didn't the Sox only take Jenks and McCarthy on that trip to Boston where McCarthy was godlike?

They took others too, but I'm pretty sure Buehrle stayed in Chicago, as did Garland and Konerko? (memory is a bit foggy, I could be off. I do remember the game though, it was a great one :))

edit:

No, Konerko hit a HR (forgot that it was him :(), so he was there :P

According to ESPN, they left 5 players behind, and AJP was in Florida with his wide (pregnant)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
not a great performance, but one of the best pictures left in my mind was brandon pitching against boston, and i want to say it was to varitek or trot nixon, and he started out changeup, curve ball, fastball, curve, change and the batter looked lost on every single pitch that was thrown. To me it was teh AB that signified that Bmac had what it takes not only to pitch in the bigs but to make big league hitters look plain silly

^^^ first game i watched on mlb tv

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
In hindsight, that was probably one of the best things to happen because Hermanson took over the closing duties soon after and went on a tear.

Very true, as well as how it was a blessing that PK totally choked on that liner down the line in the Twins game, which caused the game to go into extra innings. Jenks eventually got the save in the 10th inning, and it paved the way for him to make such a huge impact.

I don't have the numbers on hand but pretty much any inning in which the Tigers loaded the bases against us.

Freddy Garcia's outing in the Urinal opener was also memorable. I seem to remember him coming off some rough outings and giving up a few warning track shots in the wind that afternoon. In the box score, it turned out to be a great performance.

Another Garcia memory is his performance at Coors Field. He gives up the patented 3-run homer in the first inning to Hawpe and it looked like it would be a long evening. 22 batters later, it was the 9th inning.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
Another Garcia memory is his performance at Coors Field. He gives up the patented 3-run homer in the first inning to Hawpe and it looked like it would be a long evening. 22 batters later, it was the 9th inning.

Hey! I mention it first! :bang

IIRC, the Colorado announcers were saying it was the most impressive pitching performance they have ever seen in Coors Field history including Nomo's no-no.

I'd have to nominate 5 games, because they were all such great performances:

-Mark Buehrle's Complete Game against Seattle. 3 hit shutout with 12 Ks in under 2 hours. it doesn't get much better than that for a pitcher.

-Freddy Garcia's near perfect game in Minnesota. Unbelievable game by Freddy goes to waste because the offense can't put up even one run for him.

-Jon Garland's back to back home outings against Baltimore & Texas. In both games, Garland was up 3-2 in the bottom of the 7th, facing one of the best middle infield hitters in the league (Tejada & Soriano, respectively) with runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 outs, and a 3-2 count. Both times he threw the sickest changeup I've ever seen (it looked like a 2-seam changeup if that's possible) to strike the batter out, then walked off the mound calm and composed.

-Brandon McCarthy's Labor Day game against Boston. A game the Sox sent the B squad to play, Brandon brought nothing but his A game, shutting down the Red Sox in Fenway for 7 innings, allowing only 3 hits and a walk while striking out 7, and earning a 5-3 win in a game many thought the Sox were basically conceding.