Carlos Lee To Cubs Deal Imminent?????

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I think this is a very fair deal for both teams and I also believe there is a good chance of this happening.

The Brewers are unhappy with Carlos Lee, he didn't come to camp in great shape and he's had nagging injuries as a result.

The Cubs aren't thrilled with Rich Hill, he has not come on as expected and Angel Guzman looked better but they're not sold on his health. As for Matt Murton, Dusty Baker isn't thrilled with him.

There is no way Carlos Lee would re-up with Milwaukee, the Brewers know it. This trade makes sense for both sides but I would love to see the Cubs pay even more in terms of giving up talent.

Anyone else love Rich Hill (even for a Cub)? What a great trade for the Brewers. I like Lee a lot but how can you justify giving Derek Lee 50 million then taking three cheap players and trading them for a guy who you will have to sign to a three year 30-39 million dollar contract. Thats fiscal insanity. Murton, not in power, but in average and OBP could be better than Lee this year. The pitchers could get under the tutelege of Mike Maddux and really become something. This would be a great trade for the small market Brew cres

I agree, P&JG.

Melvin could almost justify making this trade straight up, Murton for Lee. Murton is young, cheap, and good. Doesn't seem like a guy who will hit a lot of homers, but he should be a decent player (good OBP guy).

Hill, at worst, seems like he'll make a good LOOGY with that curveball he has. I'd like to see him in a starting role, which he'd have the chance to compete for in Milwaukee.

Guzman would just be icing, another good arm for Melvin.

Of course, this all could be a bunch of April 1st BS, which I'm guessing it is.

Is there any page less reliable than mlbtraderumors.com?

I'm more apt to believe the National Inquirer....

Murton, Rich Hill, and Guzman? Thats three of their top five prospects right there. No way would the Cubs agree to this.

I hope its true, cause the cubs would be paying an absurd price. However, I doubt it is even close

Edited by AbeFroman

I don't buy this rumor, but if it's true, it's a terrible trade for the Cubs. Carlos Lee isn't exactly a proven winner. Also, he's a free agent after this season. Giving up 3 of the best young players in your organization for Carlos would be dumb!

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
Guys, I think this is a very fair deal for both teams and I also believe there is a good chance of this happening.

The Brewers are unhappy with Carlos Lee, he didn't come to camp in great shape and he's had nagging injuries as a result.

The Cubs aren't thrilled with Rich Hill, he has not come on as expected and Angel Guzman looked better but they're not sold on his health.  As for Matt Murton, Dusty Baker isn't thrilled with him.

There is no way Carlos Lee would re-up with Milwaukee, the Brewers know it.  This trade makes sense for both sides but I would love to see the Cubs pay even more in terms of giving up talent.

Ya this makes some sense to me. The Brewers get two pitching prospects that are basically major league ready and a young outfielder to come in. This fits with there time table of emerging in a year or two (although I think they will be pretty solid this year).

This makes a lot of sense.

Remember this: Hendry and Baker are in contract years. Hendry might not be willing to sit and wait for kids if he thinks he can mortgage a bit of the future for 06 success. I think we kind of all figured Lee would be a Cub sooner or later. I think he wants to be in Chicago and they know he'd mash at Wrigley

I don't buy this. Why would mlbrumors have it and no one else. When is the last time that site actually had a scoop? Ever?

They report chatter, they do not predict which things will happen. Big difference.

He's also a Cubs fan who is reporting an incredibly one sided deal on April Fools day.

It's bunk.

Why is it one sided? I don't think it's one sided at all. Three arguably good prospects for a well established player who's one year away from free agency.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
Why is it one sided?  I don't think it's one sided at all.  Three arguably good prospects for a well established player who's one year away from free agency.

It's terribly one-sided in that Cubs fans, the target audience, value Hill, Guzman, and Murton far more than you do.

He was going for a reaction akin to if I had posted that the Sox traded McCarthy, Anderson, and Sweeney for Torri Hunter.

You've been had, Jim.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
Maybe so but the premise of the trade makes perfect sense.

The only premise that doesn't make sense is the Brewers trading away one of their biggest draws to a rival that finished behind them last year.

I think the Brewers might trade Lee as well, but it would only be if/when they fall out of contention the in the divisional race.

As soon as the Sox got Vazquez it was being talked about how the Sox would trade Garland/Contreras and Uribe for Tejada. The premise made sense, but it was bunk.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
He was going for a reaction akin to if I had posted that the Sox traded McCarthy, Anderson, and Sweeney for Torri Hunter.

Bingo... thats exactly correct.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
The only premise that doesn't make sense is the Brewers trading away one of their biggest draws to a rival that finished behind them last year.

Have you ever been up to Miller park? There are no "biggest draws." When bonds was at 699 homers, I bought tickets in the right field bleachers the day before the game like 9 rows up. Its milwaukee, their best draws are the days the cubs and twins come to town.