This Loss is on Ozzie

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 5, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
So how's Javier Lopez sounding as the LOOGY right now?

If anyone's going to be called up right now, it'd probably be him, not Nelson or Tracey I'd say, considering they'd probably send down Logan.

Javier actually has major league experience. Give him a shot, why Nelson gets work in extended ST. At least he will not s*** his pants and will go after a hitter. Boone got star struck. And I think Hafners dong scared the s*** out him. He needs more time in the minors.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 6, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
Demote Logan and bring up Nelson.  We will still have two lefties -- Cotts and Thornton.  I don't see what the big deal is.

Dude, Nelson hasn't even been pitching that much, and you expect him to come straight up and perform?

At least call up someone who has been performing in the minors.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 6, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
Yes, I do.  He'd probably still be better than some of the slackjaws who are currently pitching for us.

Oh yes because that bullpen is costing us so much right now in terms of wins and losses.

Nelson had a 5.59 ERA post ASB in 2005. To expect him to come straight up now, and perform well, is laughable.

Lopez on the other hand has a 0.64 ERA in Charlotte. But let's ignore him for a 39 year old relief pitcher who's probably done.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 5, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
Yes, I do.  He'd probably still be better than some of the slackjaws who are currently pitching for us.

Think before you post. Nelson hasn't pitched in over a month. He's in Arizona because he's not in shape to even pitch in the minors.

Jenks was horrible last night. I don't see where starting the inning would have made him any better, and I don't see where having a runner on base should make any difference in how he pitches. He came into the game in the 8th inning with a guy on base in the playoffs and WS IIRC last year. He just had a bad night. It happens. Unfortunately his night was so bad he allowed his inherited runner to score,and 3 more. I disagree with Ozzie's moves from time to time, but not last night. I don't see where having Jenks start the 9th inning would have made any difference. He was awful.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 6, 2006 -> 07:36 AM)
Jenks was horrible last night. I don't see where starting the inning would have made him any better, and I don't see where having a runner on base should make any difference in how he pitches. He came into the game in the 8th inning with a guy on base in the playoffs and WS IIRC last year. He just had a bad night. It happens. Unfortunately his night was so bad he allowed his inherited runner to score,and 3 more. I disagree with Ozzie's moves from time to time, but not last night. I don't see where having Jenks start the 9th inning would have made any difference. He was awful.

^^^^^^^^^

Jenks didnt have his heat last night, and he didnt have his command. Plus, teams are taking the White Sox to the opposite field like nobodies business now. Hawk and DJ keep saying "These teams have a plan tonite". No, they all have the same plan against the Sox right now, take it to opposite field because they are pounding the outside half of the plate.

Did anyone notice how erratic the strikezone was last night? It had no impact on the final outcome, but the Ump was really all over the place.

Its amazing to me the total pass White Sox fans give to Jenks when he is horrible. If it were Marte, or any other White Sox reliever who ever lived who came in with a runner on first and no outs, and allowed that runner to score, while allowing 3 more runs, he would have been crucified. With Jenks, its Ozzie blew the game by not having him start the inning. Someone please explain why Jenks, who was so bad he couldn't even finish the inning, would have performed better and got the save if Thornton didn't pitch to the leadoff man. And if coming in with a runner on first is so tough, then why have other Sox relievers been blasted when they allow these runs to score?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 6, 2006 -> 08:01 AM)
Its amazing to me the total pass White Sox fans give to Jenks when he is horrible. If it were Marte, or any other White Sox reliever who ever lived who came in with a runner on first and no outs, and allowed that runner to score, while allowing 3 more runs, he would have been crucified. With Jenks, its Ozzie blew the game by not having him start the inning. Someone please explain why Jenks, who was so bad he couldn't even finish the inning, would have performed better and got the save if Thornton didn't pitch to the leadoff man. And if coming in with a runner on first is so tough, then why have other Sox relievers been blasted when they allow these runs to score?

hmmm, i havent noticed that Jenks gets a total pass. It just seems like people would rather nitpick the guy putting in the pitcher, rather than the player making the pitches. I dont really see Jenks getting a free pass here though. But Jenks also has been pretty consistent lately(before last night obviously), whereas Thornton has been pretty consistent in getting 2 guys out and then walking a lefty. I wish Cotts would have started the 9th, but in reality Ozzie is probably trying to save his bullpen a little bit, which is why we didnt see McCarthy or Politte either.

Guest JimH

On another matter, Rob Mackowiak hasn't had a big hit for the White Sox yet. Not that big of a deal, just saying. 0-4 again last nite and a base hit would've tied the game in the 9th.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 6, 2006 -> 08:06 AM)
On another matter, Rob Mackowiak hasn't had a big hit for the White Sox yet.  Not that big of a deal, just saying.  0-4 again last nite and a base hit would've tied the game in the 9th.

Didn't see much of him when he was with the pirates, but his continued swinging at the pitches at his ankles is getting old.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
I am as big of Ozzie fan as everyone else... but this loss is on him.

I am tired of seeing our Closer have to enter into the 9th with runners on base.

Let him start the inning.

I was at the game and it seemed to be a few factors:

Firstly, Ozzie left that piece of s*** Thornton in to walk the batter, secondly, Jenks wasn't getting any calls, if you saw how that Umpire was calling it, you'd agree, I believe there was one right down the middle for a potential strike three, and it was called a ball, in which, the whole stadium went quiet.

And I was quite pissed to know that Mackowiak and others went 0 for...man, that blew. I hope they do better when I go back on Sunday.

My thoughts;

Mackowiak is showing he can not be relied on as anyhting more than a 24 or 25th man.

Jenks pitched three days in a row he should not have been in that game at all. Now he is unavailable the rest of this series in my mind.

Thorton looked great in the 8th and he should have gone longer in the 9th. His problem is that he has trouble putting guys away Bloomquist the other night and Guiel last night.

Last night it was cold and pitchers have trouble getting warm, see both bullpens.

My problem with Guillen's use of the bullpen is this, either go with your gut or go with the lefty/righty thing.

The sad thing about last night is later in the season we will be b****ing about teams getting to play the Royals while we are playing tough teams. You have to beat the Roayls.

Oh and the Sox sent 19 men to the plate through 6 inninngs, that is not good.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
so bobby blows every 10th save.  Fine with me.

^^^

I only recall Bobby having one other bad outing (in Detroit) so far this year. Until he has more, he's still a reliable closer IMO.

Good thing I was out last night, as I'm sure I would have been posting a thousand times on this debate. I got to watch the 9th inning last night, and the second I saw Thornton on the mound, I sensed trouble. There's a reason some guys can't pitch the 9th inning. Thornton's control has always been shaky, and you can't afford the leadoff walk. After reading this thread, I agree with jabroni. Stop f***ing around, and let your closer get 3 outs. If they tie the game or go ahead, then you tip your cap. And can we please end the Boone Logan experience. And can we please stop having 3 starters on the bench (even though with Dye out, it's a little different).

QUOTE(fathom @ May 7, 2006 -> 03:25 AM)
Good thing I was out last night, as I'm sure I would have been posting a thousand times on this debate.  I got to watch the 9th inning last night, and the second I saw Thornton on the mound, I sensed trouble.  There's a reason some guys can't pitch the 9th inning.  Thornton's control has always been shaky, and you can't afford the leadoff walk.  After reading this thread, I agree with jabroni.  Stop f***ing around, and let your closer get 3 outs.  If they tie the game or go ahead, then you tip your cap.  And can we please end the Boone Logan experience.  And can we please stop having 3 starters on the bench (even though with Dye out, it's a little different).

Thornton's looked fairly good in the 7th and 8th innings of games. Maybe he's just one of those guys like Cliff Politte who has that mentality where you can't pitch well in the 9th inning of ballgames.

I think we've got a fairly good bullpen still, but Ozzie needs to use them in the right way, for this to be a sucessful cohesive unit.

Logan's not as bad as Kevin Walker was last season, so I think the Sox are going to give him a little more time.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 6, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
^^^

I only recall Bobby having one other bad outing (in Detroit) so far this year.  Until he has more, he's still a reliable closer IMO.

Of course, he's still reliable, its only 2 BS on the year, right?

QUOTE(Beastly @ May 7, 2006 -> 04:23 AM)
Of course, he's still reliable, its only 2 BS on the year, right?

I think so, which compared where we were last season and 2 seasons ago with Billy Koch and Shingo Takatsu probably seems godly compared to that.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
People laugh at Jeff Nelson, but this guy has a hand full of rings, has pitched on the game's grandest stages, and is murder on right-handers.

We'll see how many are laughing when he develops into a go-to guy in the late innings.

I agree Addison, Jeff nelson is signed for the stretch run. He will be a factor in the second half of the season. Right now Boone Logan is keeping his seat warm until he is ready.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ May 5, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
If Jenks is the closer, he should CLOSE!

Off topic, but great GGGR reference. My favorite scene in one of my favorite movies.

I didn't watch a single minute of last night's game, I have no further input, carry on all

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 6, 2006 -> 08:01 AM)

how is it amazing? in case you havent noticed, this is Chicago. Chi-town has always been notorius for having the most opinionated and demanding fans. myself included. this is no surprise and has been going on for years.

Man, it's funny. We have a record waiting to be broken, and who halts it but the ROYALS after we swept the Angels, took 1 of 2 from Cleveland and swept the 2 game series against the Mariners, rofl.

What is most disturbing to me is that the Royals only have 7 wins this season and 3 of them have been over us. That's a scary thought.

KC Royals=TB Devil rays... if you get my drift.

Edited by TheBigHurt