Croc Hunter Steve Irwin Dies

DBAHO

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary and that's when it occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up until now I was unfamilar with a Stingray's barb. According to an article I recently browsed on Google, it's as "deadly as a rifle bayonet driven into (someones) organs."

He may not have been as crazy as Timothy Treadwell, but regardless, both certaintly underestimated the violent nature of their work.

Choking back tears, Mr Stainton said Irwin had gone “over the top of a stingray and a stingray's barb went up and went into his chest and put a hole into his heart”.

"He possibly died instantly when the barb hit him, and I don't think that he ... felt any pain.”

I read this messageboard first thing this morning, and saw this thread and couldnt help but believe it was somewhat of a hoax, because it wouldnt be the first time this guy was claimed killed by a snake/crocodile/dingo pack/kangaroo/etc. Its hard to believe that he died swimming with Stingrays rather than feeding his 15 foot saltwater crocodiles at his zoo.

RIP steve, you always made us all watch and laugh.