Sox interested in A-Rod?

tonyho7476

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
Link?

Here's one that states the Rangers owe New York click

I doubt in this case it would make a difference, but I could see a deal where the third team down the road would not receive the entire amount. A great example would be someone like Thomas or Thome, a superstar with a questionable recovery. They recover 100%, have great seasons and their value rises. The team that was receiving money would possibly not have to eat as much of the salary as the first team did.

I do not have the exact terms of the contract. I believe Texas paid a total of $65 million or so when the trade was originally made. From everything I have read, that money (a prorated portion of it of course), would follow ARod in the event that he was dealt from the Yankees. I am just speculating here, but it is my belief that the money would follow him, either because the contract states that it would, or simply because if the Yankees attempted to deal ARod without sending the Texas money along, or any of their own money along, it would make ARod practically unmovable. I don't believe any team would be willing to take on any player, regardless of who it was, at $100 million for 4 years in the current economic climate, AND trade away players of value as well. NY, if they truly wish to deal him, are going to have to make it not only feasible for another team to fit him into their payroll, and make it a favorable position for themselves by getting back players of value. It is doubtful that Bud Selid would approve a deal that looked like a pure "salary dump."

Edited by iamshack

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iamshack @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
I do not have the exact terms of the contract. I believe Texas paid a total of $65 million or so when the trade was originally made. From everything I have read, that money (a prorated portion of it of course), would follow ARod in the event that he was dealt from the Yankees. I am just speculating here, but it is my belief that the money would follow him, either because the contract states that it would, or simply because if the Yankees attempted to deal ARod without sending the Texas money along, or any of their own money along, it would make ARod practically unmovable. I don't believe any team would be willing to take on any player, regardless of who it was, at $100 million for 4 years in the current economic climate, AND trade away players of value as well. NY, if they truly wish to deal him, are going to have to make it not only feasible for another team to fit him into their payroll, and make it a favorable position for themselves by getting back players of value. It is doubtful that Bud Selid would approve a deal that looked like a pure "salary dump."

I agree that money would have to follow A-Rod, I just believe it could be more or less than what Texas is paying

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
I agree that money would have to follow A-Rod, I just believe it could be more or less than what Texas is paying

Or the same.

Or let's just nit pick for no good stupid ass reason.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
Or the same.

Or let's just nit pick for no good stupid ass reason.

Yep, It will at the very least be the same. The Yanks could obviously throw in additional cash to make Arod more lucrative on the trade market (but that is all up to negotiations between the Yanks and whoever there trade partner is).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
Yep, It will at the very least be the same. The Yanks could obviously throw in additional cash to make Arod more lucrative on the trade market (but that is all up to negotiations between the Yanks and whoever there trade partner is).

I think it would depend on who the Yankees receive in return. While it would seem nit piking to some, having the flexibility to adjust the dollars based on the talent involved will make the deal much easier to make. Imagine if you had to offer the exact combination of players that would make that exact cash work out. In the end, as I mentioned before, whether the Rangers are sending money to the Yankees or to A-Rod anything could be worked out. ARod's original deal and Boras' ability to sell a player coming off an injury, and unavailable for a workout, to a top 10 contract, proves that.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
yes but the white sox with a-rod + bmac >>>>> crede + garcia

I don't see it..

BMac is already on the team, so there's no "+" next to his name.

Losing Crede is a minus, offensively and defensively. ARod figures to be a downgrade defensively at short, negating some of the offense that you pick up, with the dropoff from Crede to Fields picking up the rest.

The pitching staff is comprised of a bunch of guys who depend heavily on the defense behind them, weakening an entire side of the infield, when the other side isn't exactly strong to begin with, isn't a recipe to help the pitching staff, which, if you read the article, is the number 1 concern this offseason according to Guillien.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
I think it would depend on who the Yankees receive in return. While it would seem nit piking to some, having the flexibility to adjust the dollars based on the talent involved will make the deal much easier to make. Imagine if you had to offer the exact combination of players that would make that exact cash work out. In the end, as I mentioned before, whether the Rangers are sending money to the Yankees or to A-Rod anything could be worked out. ARod's original deal and Boras' ability to sell a player coming off an injury, and unavailable for a workout, to a top 10 contract, proves that.

I don't understand why you are tossing in what the Yanks may do. That was not commented on. Mike specifically commented about the $67 million from the Rangers and them passing it on. The Rangers will continue to pay that money per the agreement they along with MLB and ARod agreed to. At least that much of ARod's contract will be paid by someone other than the team he plays for, unless he returns to the Rangers.

http://www.easttennessean.com/media/storag...ttennessean.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/base...kees/index.html

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
We have to do something with Josh fields...and with Boras as his agent, Crede leaving seems to be the answer. I love Crede...no doubt.

Josh Fields can play LF. He is not the caliber of thirdbaseman that Joe Crede is. I would not want to trade Joe Crede. He can be signed for less than A-Rod is making plus if we did make a trade for A-Rod then the Rod could play SS. The only reason A-Rod is at third for the yankmees is because of Jeter. Uribe to the Yankmees or keep him as the super sub. New York needs pitching.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
Josh Fields can play LF. He is not the caliber of thirdbaseman that Joe Crede is. I would not want to trade Joe Crede. He can be signed for less than A-Rod is making plus if we did make a trade for A-Rod then the Rod could play SS. The only reason A-Rod is at third for the yankmees is because of Jeter. Uribe to the Yankmees or keep him as the super sub. New York needs pitching.

who plays third, and who would lead off? whoever the thirdbaseman was?? i don't know of many 3b leadoff guys.

all these different a-rod scenarios become confusing when trying to figure out the lineup/defense.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)

don't even consider trading Crede...it's not like back problems are recurring or anything.

he may or may not have surgery...I want to see how this turns out before we entertain any ideas involving trading Crede. remember, Crede wasn't that highly touted as a fielder coming up, so who's to say Fields couldn't turn out to be at least above average? don't get me wrong though, Crede was Brooks Robinson-esque for us last October.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)
I don't see it..

Losing Crede is a minus, offensively and defensively. ARod figures to be a downgrade defensively at short, negating some of the offense that you pick up, with the dropoff from Crede to Fields picking up the rest.

The pitching staff is comprised of a bunch of guys who depend heavily on the defense behind them, weakening an entire side of the infield, when the other side isn't exactly strong to begin with, isn't a recipe to help the pitching staff, which, if you read the article, is the number 1 concern this offseason according to Guillien.

Fields at the plate could, IMO, do in 2007 what Crede did in 2005 when we won it all, which is be mediocre. I think he'd be better than that, but that's just my opinion.

And do you think Crede is better than A Rod? Or that Garcia is better than McCarthy?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)
I don't see it..

Put A-Rod in LF.