Agent: Buehrle Happy With Sox

aboz56

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

October 28, 2006, 7:45 PM CDT

The agent for Mark Buehrle shot down an Internet report that the left-hander hopes the White Sox will give him a $500,000 buyout so he can become a free agent and pitch for his childhood favorite St. Louis Cardinals.

"Mark hopes, in an ideal world, to pitch his entire career with the White Sox," Jeff Barry said Saturday. "He loves the city of Chicago, he loves his house and loves the team. And (wife) Jamie is equally happy."

The Sox hold a $9.5 million option on Buehrle, 27, who is coming off his worst year. He went 12-13 with a 4.99 ERA and allowed 36 home runs.

The Internet report, showing a photo of Buehrle wearing a Cardinals cap backward before Game 3 of the World Series, said he and his wife would prefer the Sox allow him to become a free agent.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
I love Mark and out of any other Sox player of all time, it'd be the hardest for me to see him in another uni. That being said, it's getting real annoying having to deal with this saga every damn year.

Just take it with the grain of salt it deserves and you won't be nearly as annoyed.

Works for me!

:D

I don't get what the big fuss is about. He went to a WORLD SERIES GAME with his favorite team growing up was playing in it and leading the series, so he supports his favorite childhood team by wearing their hat and now he wants to leave the southside. Why does this happen every year?

Edited by sayitaintso

I don't have a problem with him having a Cards hat on. Unless he was just playing nice for Sox fans, I heard him say multiple times how he rethunk it and he doesn't want to play for STL because he has heard from others what hell it is and how it can become a nightmare to play for your hometown team.

LOL, memories of Ozzie's postgame last year after we slaughtered STL "Buehrle's crying right now"

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
I would like to see a multi-year deal for Mark similar to what Jon got.

I would like to see a multi-year deal for Mark for several years longer than what Jon got. I know JR doesn't like to go over 3 years, but if we're going to make a mistake going long on any pitcher, I think Mark's the best bet. Anyway, remember, we're going to be stuck going through exactly this with Garland after 2007, because he's on the FA list after 2008 if nothing else is done.

I can think of few things that would look better for the White Sox for the next 5-7 years than having our 123 pitchers go Buehrle, Garland, McCarthy.

But still...if we can't sign Buehrle this offseason...he must be traded. Anyway.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
I wish I had a better feel for what went wrong with Mark this year. And is it me or has he given up more hits per inning for the last several years in succession? If so, I am not sure where the optimism comes from that he will 'turn it around'. Blind perhaps?

I think there's a quiet majority that believe he was pitching hurt down the stretch. His fastball was down from his normal 87-89 to 84-86. Thus, his changeup was much less effective than in year's prior.

IMO, if he's still pitching at 85-86 next year, we may never see the Mark Buehrle of old again.

Buerhle grew up a huge cardinal fan. I don't think its that much of a big deal he wore a Cardinal hat at the WS. Last season while Mackowiack was on the Pirates he came to WS game 2 at home with his dad and he wore his Sox stuff while cheering on his favorite childhood team. I think its fine for players to become fans in the offseason. Its not like its even a team from the same league. Mark loves the White Sox and the White Sox love him. However, 2007 will be his final season in a Sox uniform. Lets face it the Cards will get him for 2008 and beyond. Buerhle is one of the few players i would really be upset about if he gets traded or moves on to another team. Despite his bad season, he still is our ace and he will rebound in 2007 (his free agency season). Lets appreciate our final season with him.

I don't get what the big fuss is about. He went to a WORLD SERIES GAME with his favorite team growing up was playing in it and leading the series, so he supports his favorite childhood team by wearing their hat and now he wants to leave the southside. Why does this happen every year?

How many times have you seen a MLB player go to another team's playoff game and wear that team's hat? Of course people are making a fuss. That doesn't look good at all. I fully believe he'd rather play for the Cardinals. They are clearly his favorite team. I appreciate fan allegiance, but that should stop as soon as you become a PLAYER for another team. His favorite team should be the White Sox, don't you think? His agent was doing his job by playing this down. But don't expect Mark to re-sign with the Sox once his deal is up.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
How many times have you seen a MLB player go to another team's playoff game and wear that team's hat?

If you wanna get techinal, playoff games are one thing. World Series games are another. He might not ever get to see his childhood team go to the World Series ever again. If he actually went to a NLDS or a NLCS game, then I would have to agree with you, but not if it's the World Series. Damn maybe Angel fans should jump on Jered Weaver since he isn't even a fan of the Cards. What kind of a dumbass goes out in freezing weather wearin a Cards shirt under his coat, hat, gloves cheering for his brother who pitched the clincher? Trade his ass right now.

I wouldn't say it's a huge deal but Buehrle has made comments before about wanting to play in St. Louis so when there is a supposed story on what his wife said and a picture of him shows up on the internet wearing a Cards hat it's going to be talked about. Like I said, I absolutely love Mark but I'm tired of this damn saga.

I'm not tired of the saga because it's no big deal.

He loves the Cardinals.

Big deal.

Didn't he even beat the Cardinals this year for us?

Mark needs to get his act togther next season.

He really was giving up some bombs the second half.

He was a gopher ball waiting to happen.

He sucked.

He's above criticismi right now, though. He deserves all the benefit of the doubt after all

he's done for the Sox franchise and World Series winner.

i don't think its that big of a deal at all. you never stop cheering for your hometown team. i wouldn't even care if he went to one of their regular season games wearing a cardinals hat, as long as he wasn't missing anything the white sox needed him to do, like practice or a game. my opinion, it would be nice if your favorite team is the team your playing for, but f*** thats not always going to be the case. i don't expect every line worker at the ford plant to drive a ford, and have a ford for every member of thier family. and if it wasn't for the employee discount, i bet even more wouldn't drive the fords. same difference.

This is great news.

Now hopefully I don't have to hear Cardinals fans say in that smug tone that Buerhle will leave as soon as he gets the opportunity to play for his beloved Cardinals.

And like most, I also have no problem with Buerhle supporting the Cardinals. Because we all know who he is supporting when he has to choose between the White Sox and Cardinals.

I think some internet thing blew up something ridiculous. I don't really care. He has a favorite team but he also loves the Sox. I think thats pretty evident in the way he treats the fans, gets along with mgmt/ownership, and is a leader in the clubhouse.

Whatever. The Sox will pick up his option and then...He Gone (to St. Louis).