Alfonso Soriano signs w/ Cubs

whitesoxin'

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tribune coverage of the cubs is back to being sickening. Actually all of the Chicago media coverage is. Soriano is a borderline great player. He is nowhere near worth $17M though. How he got a better contract than Beltran just goes to show how desperate the cubs are. My thinking though is they are trying to sex up the situation to sell the team. The new owner can then come in and blame these horrendous moves as to why they have to cut salary. I also though think the cubs are looking at how sad that 100 anniversary will be and pulling out all of the stops.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
I was glancing at the papers and saw a few times that Hendry was suprised at how fast this deal came together. If I can read into that, it tells me that The Phills or Astros weren't in the ballpark for years, money, or no trade, and Soriano's agent jumped at the offer while it was there.

LOL, I saw that too. As if Soriano would go bargaining around after that offer got accepted . I think the conversation went something like this:

Hendry "So what kind of deal are you guys looking for in length and money?"

Soriano's Agent "Well, we were really looking in the area of 8 years 136 million right now, I know you guys are looking for more of an OBP guy who walks more, but I think my client...."

Hendry "Ok"

Soriano's Agent "OK?"

Hendry "Sure"

Soriano's agent "Send over the contract. We will sign it this minute"

Hendry "No problem, Im faxing it right now. I had a contract already drawn up, all I had to do was enter in the years and amount. Its just like writing a check."

Soriano's agent, stifling a laugh "Its been a pleasure working with you, Jim. You really know how to make a man happy"

Hendry "You know what? Kerry Wood's agent told me that just the other day. That really makes me feel good. Thank you"

Soriano's agent "We will sign this and send it back to you ASAP. Thanks again, Jim"(the sound of high fives in the background)

Hendry "No, really, thank you. Goodbye"

-hangs up the phone-

Hendry "Wow, that really came together fast!"

:D :P

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 01:55 AM)
What would be more laughable, this deal or the Cubbies throwing 40 million at Vincente Padilla, which I just read (ESPN Insider) is entirely possible.

I'd throw $40 million at him than sign Barry Zito in all truthfullness.

Padilla isn't anything special, but I actually like him over other options.

I for one would take him over Garcia.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
The Tribune coverage of the cubs is back to being sickening. Actually all of the Chicago media coverage is. Soriano is a borderline great player. He is nowhere near worth $17M though. How he got a better contract than Beltran just goes to show how desperate the cubs are. My thinking though is they are trying to sex up the situation to sell the team. The new owner can then come in and blame these horrendous moves as to why they have to cut salary. I also though think the cubs are looking at how sad that 100 anniversary will be and pulling out all of the stops.

I think some of the media have actually questioned the move, while some have gone completely blind and acted like he's the greatest player ever. Look, he's a solid player, but that contract is insane, IMO, and their main need is pitching or at least a good OBP guy.

The radio has been the greatest though, I know on Boers and Bernstein, Boers basically said this isn't an earthshattering move and the contract is insane. Some of the Cubs supporters were calling in and you can actually hear them having mental breakdowns over it.

• 2 years later...
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
8 years around $135 million. lol

Just what the Cubs need, more guys who strike out.

I'm sorry, but this is a tremendous move for the Cubs. We are talking about one of the premier offensive players in the game going to a team that needed offense and some talent at the top of the order. On top of it all they also got a very good base-stealer.

Sure its a lot of money but the Cubs can afford it. Great move by the Cubs (even though the deal is too long but who the hell knows what the economics of baseball will be 8 years from now anyway and I still think you can always find teams to take guys like this off your hands 4 or 5 years from now anyway.

I hate having to face him 6 times a year, but I love this signing. Embrace another era of K's and poor defense. Maybe the Trib wasn't far off in advertising Sammy's come back.

Ummm...Soriano is an above average left fielder and I assume thats where he will play. And I have no doubt he'll continue to improve in LF. He has a good arm and good range.

lol. Good old Gage...

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
Above average left fielder? This was actually posted?

I think LF is a garbage defensive position so I assumed a guy that is a good athlete with a strong arm would have been a good left fielder. In his defense he wasn't near as bad as some people would make you think. Offensively he's stunk though and the economy took a s***.

I still say I looked at the deal as something to erupt a quiet fan base but even than it didn't work out. And in my defense I love wiry power hitters with speed.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
Above average left fielder? This was actually posted?

Believe it or not, before this season, Soriano's been a pretty good defensive left fielder for the Nationals and Cubs.

He's been among league leaders in both Plus/Minus and UZR. Beats me.

I just think that bum knee and his bad offensive performance is affecting his fielding.