Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
That would be funny if Floyd beat out Brandon in spring training

for that starting spot.

Real funny.

I don't think it'd be funny at all, I think it'd be great, because that would at least be a small sign that Floyd is not a lost cause.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Crowley quoting Gavin Floyd in today's Sun-Times:

''I had no idea I was getting traded,'' Floyd said. ''After a few days of marinating on it, I'm excited about it. It will be a great opportunity.''

At least he's not complaining about being treated like a piece of meat.

QUOTE(toasty @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
nope, but they did give him 3 years 20 mil

It's worse than that. The report says 3 years, $28 million. Linke

The Cubs accomplished the rare double double: strenghtening the Cardinals rotation while weakening their own. The guy had a 6.02 era under one of the best pitching coaches in Dave Duncan. This blows since it really makes it more difficult to re-sign our own pitchers. This gives me even more reason to hate the cubs.

Philly Daily News' Bill Conlin on Gavin Floyd:

The pitcher the Phillies thought they would eventually get when they lavished a $4.2 million bonus package on Floyd, top-rated high school pitcher in 2001, the No. 4 selection in the June draft, never showed up. The pitcher who made his big- league debut here in 2005 had regressed to the dime-a-dozen kind you can get on the second day of the draft.

Using the Phillies' own obviously bendable standard for drafting righthanded pitchers, his 88-91 mph fastball was marginal. His breaking ball and imposing size would have gotten him drafted, but the bonus would have been a lot closer to $40,000 than to $4.2 million.

Scouts like to talk about a prospect's "high ceiling." Gavin Floyd might have had his head against the rafters on draft day in 2001. Now, White Sox GM

Ken Williams projects the 6-4 enigma, whose once awesome 12-6 curveball suddenly skipped two time zones to become 10-5, as a 1-2-3 starter. Perhaps the White Sox have a secret formula that restores a lost yard to a fastball. They better, because that's what it will take.

And a bit on Gio:

Gio Gonzalez is a different story. The compact lefthander with the big arm does have a high ceiling. He is only 20 and he already has tasted some success in Double A and in the closeasthistotheshow Arizona Fall League.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 07:58 AM)
Good point. If those Phillie fans had been around here last summer, they wouldn't be so happy about acquiring Garcia, either.

I agree. Especially with the article from Phillie above. If Floyd's curveball has gone from 12-6 to 10-5 as stated, that is purely mechanical. What he is doing is dropping his arm angle to change the break on the ball. This reinforces the opinion that a mechanical alteration will benefit him.

Sorry, I referenced the wrong statement. This was in reply to the idea that Floyd will be siting next to Cooper.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:32 AM)
I agree. Especially with the article from Phillie above. If Floyd's curveball has gone from 12-6 to 10-5 as stated, that is purely mechanical. What he is doing is dropping his arm angle to change the break on the ball. This reinforces the opinion that a mechanical alteration will benefit him.

Sorry, I referenced the wrong statement. This was in reply to the idea that Floyd will be siting next to Cooper.

He could be a nice addition to the pen. If he can throw strikes and get that 12-6 curve near the zone he could have a similiar effect that Justin Duchscherer has in the pen. I think Coop will help him throw more strikes and to trust his stuff. And also outside of mechanics messing up his curve a bit, it has an effect on velocity. If he could be 92-93 with that curve from the pen he could be just the bridge guy to the back end of our pen. You go from a starter to Floyd, to the velocity train at the end and that could be a nice bullpen. Its just a matter if they throw strikes. That is the key for our pen. Throw strikes and trust your stuff.

That columnist did in fact sound like he actually knew a thing or two about the intrecacies of baseball though. That said I've seen Floyd pitch mighty fine at times so I'd like to see what Coop could do and Gio has made a ton of strides and has now emerged as a near upper echelon prospect (not quite there yet, but if he were 6-4 he'd be one of the stud prospects in all of baseball).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
That columnist did in fact sound like he actually knew a thing or two about the intrecacies of baseball though. That said I've seen Floyd pitch mighty fine at times so I'd like to see what Coop could do and Gio has made a ton of strides and has now emerged as a near upper echelon prospect (not quite there yet, but if he were 6-4 he'd be one of the stud prospects in all of baseball).

Conlin is no dummy. But he's been in Philly a long time, so you know he's got to be jaded. :)